Jogger finds M4 rifle in the road

Mossy Oak

Banned
SWAT Team cop forgets to pick up gun after stand-off

SANDY, Utah (ABC 4 News) - Shannon McRae went out for her Saturday morning run and found a weapon in the road -- a rifle, property of the Salt Lake County Sheriff Office's SWAT team.

"This is something that is devastating to us in law enforcement," said Levi Hughes of the Sheriff's Office.

Hughes said M4 assault rifle was left in the road last night after the swat team was called out on a standoff in White City. The standoff ended peacefully, but somehow, just a few houses down the street where the swat team was breaking down their gear, one of the veteran team members forgot his own rifle.

"This mistake...we own it...we know we made an error and we will correct it," said Hughes.

"I'm just grateful I was the one to find the gun and get it back to them safely," said McRae.

McRae said this could have been a deadly situation because the family living next to her has four kids. Imagine a loaded assault rifle found just feet away from their front door.

The Sheriff's Office acknowledged this could have ended tragically, and authorities are doing what they can prevents future errors like this one.

Hughes said, "And this type of mistake...devastates our team and can assure that every action that can be taken by our department and the other agencies involved to do training to make sure this never happens again...will take place."

Not my point. If this was a priviate citizen who did this, they'd be screaming about how private arms can fall into the wrong hands. Let's see if they will (and perhaps prod them to?) make the same argument about arms in the hands of the government.

Let's how many stories the readers can conjure up with this statement...

It was hot even at this early hour, as John jogged steadily down the street, alternately checking his new Polar wrist watch monitor and waving at the few neighbors that were beginning to dot the sidewalks.

As he rounded the corner onto Elm Street, he noticed an odd lump on the grass in front of the Peterson's house. As he drew closer, his pace falters and his blood ran cold.

It was evil.

The crisp black outlines of an assault rifle seared into his brain and the world began to spin. He heard a jumbled babble of sound as he dropped to his knees.

"Mr. Rosenthal? Are you ok?" the concerned neighbor asked? "What's the matter?"

John was reeling from the shock and unable to speak. He just shook his head and gestured with his hand at his cell phone, which had skittered to the ground as he fell.

Just then, the Peterson toddler, just 3 tender years old, toddled across the lawn, tripped over the sidewalk and picked up the evil device of murder and mayhem.

John could see the childs eyes glaze into a zombie like trance of murderous intent.

The boy stood tall and turned to face John.

Their gaze locked and the once innocent child...

...smiled.

It was hot even at this early hour, as John jogged steadily down the street, alternately checking his new Polar wrist watch monitor and waving at the few neighbors that were beginning to dot the sidewalks.

As he rounded the corner onto Elm Street, he noticed an odd lump on the grass in front of the Peterson's house. As he drew closer, his pace falters and his blood ran cold.

It was evil.

The crisp black outlines of an assault rifle seared into his brain and the world began to spin. He heard a jumbled babble of sound as he dropped to his knees.

John was reeling from the shock and unable to speak. He just shook his head and gestured with his hand at his cell phone, which had skittered to the ground as he fell.

Just then, the Peterson toddler, just 3 tender years old, toddled across the lawn, tripped over the sidewalk and picked up the evil device of murder and mayhem.

John could see the childs eyes glaze into a zombie like trance of murderous intent.

...smiled.

I see you missed your calling...[rofl]

What a idiot how can you forget your gun, some people are so stupid.

because most cops aren't gun people the gun is a tool they become complacent with thats why cop suffer the most negligent discharges and self inflicted gunshot wounds of any group.

It was evil.

...smiled.

Very good! We have an author among us. [smile]

I only wish I had found the rifle. The first thought to go through my head would have been "One less I have to buy!" [laugh]

because most cops aren't gun people the gun is a tool they become complacent with thats why cop suffer the most negligent discharges and self inflicted gunshot wounds of any group.

It's not limited to just cops. When I was deployed to Iraq there would be notices sent out at least once a month to the effect of "someone left an M16A4 in DFAC 3 chow hall, SN#********. Report with your first sergeant to base PMO to claim the weapon." Seriously, at the MINIMUM, once a month someone on base would leave a weapon at a bus stop, on a bus, in the chow hall, in the MWR, in the gym, etc. The reason, as far as I can figure, is because the gun isn't even viewed as a tool anymore. It's like your cellphone, just something that you always have on you. You become completely complacent and can easily forget about it if you set it down somewhere.

It's not limited to just cops. When I was deployed to Iraq there would be notices sent out at least once a month to the effect of "someone left an M16A4 in DFAC 3 chow hall, SN#********. Report with your first sergeant to base PMO to claim the weapon." Seriously, at the MINIMUM, once a month someone on base would leave a weapon at a bus stop, on a bus, in the chow hall, in the MWR, in the gym, etc. The reason, as far as I can figure, is because the gun isn't even viewed as a tool anymore. It's like your cellphone, just something that you always have on you. You become completely complacent and can easily forget about it if you set it down somewhere.

IF - you become complacent [wink]

a couple of guys / NCO's I deployed with were reduced in rank for the same thing. one guy, didn't have his weapon for almost a day before he told anyone. it was crazy to say the least. he'd left it in the orderly room of all places.. so the 1SG knew about it the whole time!

one time, at band camp (Kosovo), we spent an entire night looking for an M4 after one of the forward observers placed his rifle on the roof (yeah, the roof like mickey d's soda) of his up-Armor got in and drove away. we made it all the way back to camp & he didn't even realize it until we hit the clearing barrel. [angry]

we had to turn around and go back to all the places we dismounted and search... we never found it and the guy got busted down too.

it does happen, but it's scary...

some 550 cord and "dummy cord" usually does the trick [laugh]

There have been many times that gun owners have left behind guns at the range that we have recovered and had to track down the owners to return them to.

We have also had firearms recovered on the side of the road where a gun owner/hunter left a firearm on the roof of the car/tailgate of the truck while loading the vehicle and forgot it before driving off. Only to have it fall off somewhere down the road.

Stuff happens.

HC - out of curiosity, do things like this happen more than we know? Is this officer in a world of shite?

There are lot's of instances where officers leave items behind at search warrants/crime scenes. It is very rarely a firearm. When it does happened it is generally a long gun but it is very rare.

Mostly it is a portable radio, flashlight, handcuffs etc.....

I feel that there will be some policy changes to address the issue. If he is a veteran (as the story stated) and has no history of problems there will most likely not be too much repurcussion for him personally.

The team as a whole will pay more.

There are lot's of instances where officers leave items behind at search warrants/crime scenes. It is very rarely a firearm. When it does happened it is generally a long gun but it is very rare.

Mostly it is a portable radio, flashlight, handcuffs etc.....

I feel that there will be some policy changes to address the issue. If he is a veteran (as the story stated) and has no history of problems there will most likely not be too much repurcussion for him personally.

The team as a whole will pay more.

Versus, say, what the CLEO of my town would do to me if I left my M4gery lying around on the street somewhere.

HC - out of curiosity, do things like this happen more than we know? Is this officer in a world of shite?

I can tell you a story about a Nassau county cop who left their service revolver (yes, it was that long ago) on the roof of their car and drove to work, only to hear it slide off the roof as they took an on ramp. They heard so were able to stop and get it. I heard this first hand from the LEO in question because a similar thing happened to another NC LEO and it hit the news because he did not realize it happened and had the firearm turned in by a pedestrian. I suspect it happens a lot.

Back
Top Bottom