JC Higgins project UPDATEw/pics

Viper22

NES Member
Now that I'm back home from college, I've had the chance to really put some time in with the project. The project mainly consists of refinishing the stock, free floating the barrel, and shaping the bolt cutout and near the ejection port. The bolt cutout was square, and off-center to the bolt.

The stock is sanded, and ready for stain. After it gets stain, I'm adding sling studs and a nice sling. I also have a Weaver Classic 4x28 ready and waiting. I've just got to pick up some rings.

I'm debating which route I should go. I sort of want to go with a reddish stain, but just putting a clearcoat on the stock might not look too bad.

Let me know what you think.

On to the pics.

DSC013931.JPG

DSC013981.JPG

DSC013992.JPG

DSC014001.JPG

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to add that I'm going to see how the iron sights perform before mounting the scope. I never shot this rifle without a scope, so we'll see how she does with irons.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd use tung oil on it, but I certainly wouldn't stain it. That stock doesn't need anything else to look nice. Clear coat it!

I'm always impressed by the quality of work that went into the older department store rifles, especially the wood that was considered low end back then. Very nice restoration, I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Its a good shooting rifle. The picture below is the first trip to the range with it, when it had a 3x9??? airgun scope on it. The scope was difficult to see out of, and was blurry no matter how much I tried to adjust it. The Weaver Classic 4x28 I got should help!

This is a 7 shot group at 25 yards from a very shaky improvised front rest.
DSC01310.JPG

Another vote for tung oil. I did a similar project on an old .22 and the oil made it look great. Nice job so far!

Where can I find tung oil? Just incase I want to go that route. Would it be at any hardware store?

I talked with a co-worker today, and he told me linseed oil would give a lighter finish than tung oil...so I'm probably going to go with linseed oil.

Any specific way to apply the oil?

I talked with a co-worker today, and he told me linseed oil would give a lighter finish than tung oil...so I'm probably going to go with linseed oil.

Any specific way to apply the oil?

Make sure it is boiled linseed oil!! Put a coat on w/ a rag, wait an hour, wipe it down. Apply up to two coats a day until the desired color is achieved. Make sure to apply evenly.

I picked up boiled linseed oil from Lowes today. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to apply it and see the results.

Oh, and I stopped by Nick's Sport Shop in Palmer...look in the jan. acquisitions!!!

It may be a bit late at this point but I'm just finding this thread now.

I frequent a site for vintage sxs shotguns and several guys use a mix of spar varnish and tung oil.

It requires touch ups at the end of a hunting season but it leaves a nice oil finish on the wood and also has sealing qualities without looking like a bartop or plastic coat.

Post up if you're interested in the full recipe and I'll try to find it again.

Nice project

In the middle of applying the boiled linseed oil. The first two coats are on. After a few hours I'll go check and see how the stock is looking. I want to keep the color light, so these two coats may be the only ones needed. I'll put up more pic's once I'm happy with the result.

Finished Product

Put on two coats of boiled linseed oil today. Installed the scope and sling studs. I think this project came out great. Now to get some range time to sight in the scope..

Here's the finished product. Turned out good for a $40 rifle.

DSC014142.JPG

DSC014152.JPG

DSC01416.JPG

DSC014192.JPG

Looking good - a buddy recently did a similar thing to his Dad's gun and it's also a nice little shooter.

The linseed oil will help with moisture but is not a sealer like polyurethane so you will have to reapply in the future as it fades/wears - as long as you don't mind the maintenance, it's a good system.

Wow! That looks great! Did you have to do anything to the metal, or was it in good shape?

I got bored yesterday and decided to do the same thing to an old Glenfield 25 I have. In looking at it, it looks to be almost a dead ringer for your gun. You say it is a JC Higgins, but what model? Is it a 36 bolt by chance? If so, Numrich chart, says it is a Marlin 80, which is the same as a Glenfield 25.

Dixidawg, you're correct. The JC Higgins model 103.228 is the same as a Marlin 80, which is the same as a Glenfield 25.

The bluing on the metal has seen better days. The next project might be to reblue the barrel.

It was an easy project, and not too time consuming. It was fun to tinker and revive this old rifle.

When I bought the rifle, the bolt handle was already polished, but the end of the bolt was blued. I brought the bolt into work and polished everything up so it matched and looked better.

Ammo to Test

I stopped at the local shop after work and picked up a few different brands of .22 LR to try this weekend.

The list:

CCI SV
Aguilia SuperExtra SV
Aguilia SuperExtra SS
Aguilia SSS
Golden Eagle Match Rifle
Dynamit Nobel Target Rifle

I've also got a Federal Bulk Pack to try out.

I'll post a range report later on.

DSC01428.JPG

DSC014361.JPG

DSC01429.JPG

I've only been able to test the CCI SV, Aguila Standard Velocity, Subsonic, and Sniper subsonic. The Aguila Subsonic seems to perform the best so far, with the Sniper subsonic being unusable. Every round out of 10 keyholes at 25 yards.

Next time I go out to the range, I'll test the remaining brands.

My company makes a boiled linseed oil with hardeners and we've been in business here in MA since the 50's. We will be at the Fitchburg gun show this weekend the 28th and 29th of March 2009. You could stop by the table and take a look at our sample stocks to see if you'd like it. Its called Lin-Speed and we make it here on the Cape.

Back
Top Bottom