IWB carry always feels too loose for me. Is this common?

It seems as if no matter where I position my holster, the size pants I wear, or the tightness of my belt, I always have a problem with IWB carry. I started out with an EliteIWB holster. Very standard nylon holster. Decided to get something with better quality, so ended up with an AlienGear IWB holster.

I carry a Ruger SR9c. Regular pant waist size is a size 32 but I can fit snug into a 31. I have a tall/slim but muscular build. Even when I'm WALKING, the holster doesn't feel tight against me at all. I'm very self conscious about it not being secure on me. I've actually had my gun fall out of my EliteIWB holster when I was getting out of my car once. Thank god no one was around..that would be weird. Maybe because it was a cheap holster? Maybe it caught on something? I don't know…but that was the last ****ing time I ever used that holster. Needless to say, I was pissed off and embarassed at MYSELF because of that incident even with no one to witness it. I've always worn a belt with my pants, too. I can't seem to find any solution to where it will feel tight and secure against me without having my belt/pants so god dam tight it hurts.

As others have said, a gun belt is a must for most guns. I've carried IWB at 4 o'clock for 20 years and have never found the perfect combination of gun, belt, and holster that I could carry with comfort. Even a Mitch Rosen holster and belt with a Kahr K9 didn't really work well for me.

I finally found the perfect set up that allows me to carry all day long in perfect comfort. I bought a lighter gun (Kahr pm9) and appendix carry in a kydex holster. This works so well that I don't even need a decent gun belt. I think the problem for me is that my body doesn't work well for IWB at 4 o'clock, regardless of the set up.

It seems as if no matter where I position my holster, the size pants I wear, or the tightness of my belt, I always have a problem with IWB carry. I started out with an EliteIWB holster. Very standard nylon holster. Decided to get something with better quality, so ended up with an AlienGear IWB holster.

I carry a Ruger SR9c. Regular pant waist size is a size 32 but I can fit snug into a 31. I have a tall/slim but muscular build. Even when I'm WALKING, the holster doesn't feel tight against me at all. I'm very self conscious about it not being secure on me. I've actually had my gun fall out of my EliteIWB holster when I was getting out of my car once. Thank god no one was around..that would be weird. Maybe because it was a cheap holster? Maybe it caught on something? I don't know…but that was the last ****ing time I ever used that holster. Needless to say, I was pissed off and embarassed at MYSELF because of that incident even with no one to witness it. I've always worn a belt with my pants, too. I can't seem to find any solution to where it will feel tight and secure against me without having my belt/pants so god dam tight it hurts.

Cheap is not usually good but it doesn't have to get really expensive either. I carry a G19 IWB daily. I use a Blackhawk nylon rigger's belt that I got online for 15.00 and a IWB holster from Old Faithful that I bought as a kit that had to be assembled for 35.00. I've never had one single issue of any kind with this combo and I've been using it for a few years now.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/BLAC...i_uDLEjhHJuz2lzC-kam9FxYje88fBDvqEaAjnZ8P8HAQ

http://oldfaithfulholsters.com/gun-holster-kits-2/

Last edited:
It depends on the gun and the holster, but mostly what I've found is yes, it's too loose for my taste.

That being said, I've recently tried a Kahr CM9 and a Desantis Sof-tuck and with the cant set forward it tucks down low enough for me to be more comfortable carrying that way without feeling like it could pop out while I'm getting up from seated position.

More than anything, I think you're issue is the size of the pistol. The simple truth is smaller pistols where the majority of the mass is covered by the holster itself sit more secure. My CM9 is covered by the holster up to the end of the slide, and the grip is really the only part that's sticking out (especially with the forward cant). The majority of the mass is under the top of my pants.

Thanks. I will check that out.

The "rigger belts" and army issue ACU belts are not stylish or anywhere near "good looking"......but they are inexpensive and WORK......and you never see it anyway as your shirt is un tucked to conceal carry anyway.

Thanks for all the feedback.. gun belts are expensive!!! Good thing my tax return is coming back soon

I use a 5.11 tactical belt. Not expensive and it's stiff enough for concealed carry inside or outside the pants.

I use this one. I got mine at Work-N-Gear.

http://www.511tactical.com/double-duty-tdu-belt-1-75.html

There are others here who use this belt which is a little more, but still cheap enough at $42. It adds velcro to help retain along with the buckle.

http://www.511tactical.com/operator-belt-1-34-wide.html

I've been using this one "5.11 Tactical.59568 Adult's Double Duty TDU Belt 1.5-in" got it on amazon. I don't love the buckle, but the belt is real stiff, it works, and its cheap (28bucks). Im still relatively new to conceal carry, Its my first "carry belt" and I use it with an Alien Gear holster with either my shield or my SP2022 at around 3:30-4:00. Its my first, won't be my last. I just didn't want to break the bank right out the gate[wink]

I use a velcro 'tacicool' belt. I can cinch it tight without regard to where holes line up with a regular belt.

Didn't read, if someone else posted the same, consider this a 'second'.

If you are a new concealed carrier, rest assured that this is normal. All of us have a box of holsters collecting dust from trial and error.

The perfect holster for one guy may not work for another.

The set up that I found to work for me is a 1.5 inch 5.11 nylon belt and Crossbreed IWB holster. The Velcro belt give you more precise adjustment over one with holes in it.

not mentioned above...

are you wearing your pants correctly? or are you wearing "homeboy" style there they hang to low?

as mentioned above,

a good belt and holster should fix the issue. and I agree that if you gun has fallen out of your current holster, you should throw that holster away. It has one function, and it failed at it

The "rigger belts" and army issue ACU belts are not stylish or anywhere near "good looking"......but they are inexpensive and WORK......and you never see it anyway as your shirt is un tucked to conceal carry anyway.

This is the nice thing about the Garrett Silent Thunder IWB - you can tuck your shirt into your pants if you have to and the only visible part of the holster is the belt clip which most people don't even notice. They also offer a J-hook clip that's even less visible than their standard clip. My shirt needs to be tucked in when I'm on the job so this option is a huge plus for me. A bit more difficult to get to but at least it's there if you need it. I have a Milt Sparks VM II holster that's super comfortable but not quite as user friendly as the Silent Thunder IWB.

not mentioned above...

are you wearing your pants correctly? or are you wearing "homeboy" style there they hang to low?

as mentioned above,

a good belt and holster should fix the issue. and I agree that if you gun has fallen out of your current holster, you should throw that holster away. It has one function, and it failed at it

Yes, I wear them about mid-butt or lower. YOLO, ya know what I'm saying? Straight thuggin it in the suburbs of MA.

Get a wilderness tactical belt with upgraded stitching. You can adjust / micro adjust much better than you would be able to with a gun belt that has holes.

Back
Top Bottom