• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I've Had It With Armslist

I've had a few successful transactions through Armslist but for the most part it's just another pool of people for the spammers and scammers to feed from. They need to implement two way anonymizing relays like craigslist to reduce the BS replies. "Still Avail?" "I'd like to buy your listed item" blah blah blah. I don't answer them but it's a pain to deal with. PM would be another option. Then there's no email addresses involved.

And half the stuff listed on there for sale is spam too. And they're not just autospamming you when you reply anymore either. Last month I went back and forth with a "seller" for a week who claimed to be down in Plymouth, negotiating a FTF transaction, only for him to suddenly write "I'm actually in Florida, can you send Western Union and I'll ship the gun tomorrow."

This is a discussion forum so I thought I would discuss it. I like hearing about other peoples experiences. It's how you learn things.

Ignore the haters. ;-)

I've never used armslist. I've bought and sold stuff on gunbroker and NES classifieds. No problems either place so far.

What's do you get from armslist (other than spam) that you can't get from the other places?

Ignore the haters. ;-)

I've never used armslist. I've bought and sold stuff on gunbroker and NES classifieds. No problems either place so far.

What's do you get from armslist (other than spam) that you can't get from the other places?

Well, last night I got an offer to trade my 500 round case of 9 for a pair of Nike Jordans. Where else can you get such a deal![laugh]

I sold one with no problems but I did have a lot of bs trades and offers like craigslist.

I sold one gun 2 days ago on it. Had one guy who asked how he could "register it" since it was not on the approved list. Took him another week to ask permission from his wife, then never got back to me.

2nd guy was a bit of a firearms noob, and tried to low ball me by $50 when we met up but ended up getting full asking price.

This was the only time i have used it, so I'd say it was successful. NES failed on this gun for me

I've made a few great purchases of ammo through Armslist, but as has already been said too many scammers there for gun sales.

I have traded, sold, and bought a few firearms, ammunition, optics, and of the like. I will say it has gotten worse with time. These days, GB, NES, and state-based Facebook pages seem to work the best.

Ignore the haters. ;-)

This. The two times that I tried armslist, I received a notice from armslist informing me that the postings were a scam. However, some people have used armslist successfully.

I was looking at a shotgun off Armslist, and finally figured that the guy was not ligit. I contacted Armslist and they flagged all of his postings. I am sure that there ar some legit ads on there, but I would be very careful. GunBroker is better to check out people as far as how many transactions and reviews.

I've had good experiences with Armslist, mostly buying from old-timers who aren't particularly net-savvy, would never go green on NES.

In New Hampshire you can weed out 99.9% of Armslist scammers by just asking for a 603 phone number.

I have traded, sold, and bought a few firearms, ammunition, optics, and of the like. I will say it has gotten worse with time. These days, GB, NES, and state-based Facebook pages seem to work the best.

What Facebook pages do you use? Are these open to the public?

I like Armslist for the most part...only thing I have noticed is that it seems to be all Gun Shops posting on there at retail...but hey, free country.

I have made a few sales through Armslist

I've had some idiotic tire kickers too.......There is a a reason I use one of my throwaway emails are the receiving account

I was looking at a shotgun off Armslist, and finally figured that the guy was not ligit. I contacted Armslist and they flagged all of his postings. I am sure that there ar some legit ads on there, but I would be very careful. GunBroker is better to check out people as far as how many transactions and reviews.

explain.

'cause if someone did this to me, i'd be ripshit.

I will say it has gotten worse with time.

I think it just took a while for the scammers and spammers to realize it was there. Once they found it they gathered like flies on s***.
I never use my personal email address for anything but friends, relatives and financial stuff. Everything else is one of several aliases.

I think it just took a while for the scammers and spammers to realize it was there. Once they found it they gathered like flies on s***.
I never use my personal email address for anything but friends, relatives and financial stuff. Everything else is one of several aliases.

I went full retard last year during the panic - between profiteers and scammers, it was nearly impossible to sift through all the shit. I'd say it's actually gotten better in the last 3-6 months, but still a huge time sink.

I've sold 2 guns and bought 1 gun successfully off Armslist without incident, but that's probably a < 10% success rate.

i listed a PSL54 on armslist last year, seemed like the majority of replies i got were "would you be willing to trade for 2 a mosin nagants?"

other than that it wasn't that bad.

Funny how things work. Just as I start dissing the place I get a reply from someone I had dealt with in the past on AL and he just bought the case of 9 I had listed. I guess I'll have to shut up now! [laugh] Repeat customers don't count... [thinking]

Still, I think they need to come up with a different system like CL did. Part of what they are after is our email addresses in order to spoof their spam.
That's why I only use PM here when I list something and only provide an email address once I know they are real.
I also don't provide my cell number until I know they are real. If I exchange phone numbers I'll start with my home phone because they can't spam that line.

I've had mixed results on armslist...sold a gun for full value...but got a ton of lowball or crazy offers for ammo/guns...I prefer NES now that I know about it :)

I can see how it could be a hassle with email and such, I have an email I use for places like that so I don't get bombed with crap on my everyday gig, I have only had one deal so far and it went well, bought a box of 22 golden bullet.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom