Ithaca 37 Recoil?

I just recently picked up an older Ithaca 37 12g that I fixed up a bit to be my new deer hunting gun.

I was a bit surprised by the amount of recoil on this on my first trip to the range. It kicked like a mule. I was shooting 1-oz. slugs. from a 20" barrel with new synth stock. I only got off about 5-6 rounds and my forend came loose (bad installation by me). I hit where I was aiming but those 5-6 rounds kicked my ass.

I had a Rem. 870 with the longer vented rib barrell forever and don't remember this one kicking as nearly as much. Although, I've never done much range time with it but it has shot at many birds and deer.

Are these known for a lot of recoil? Does the synth stock not absorb as much? Does the shorter barrel kick more?

Felt recoil is a function of a number of different variables, but one of the most important is the weight of the firearm. As I recall, the Mod. 37 was marketed as the "Featherweight," and although I don't know the actual weight vs. your old 870, my guess is that's part of it.

If you know the two gun weights and a few basic characteristics of the load(s), there are recoil calculators on-line that can give you the free recoil, which is not necessarily the same as apparent or felt recoil, but will give you an idea of how much difference the weight can make.

The shape of the stock can also be a factor, and the shorter barrel may be contributing to more muzzle flip, which can also enhance the felt recoil. Finally, my experience has been that slugs just seem to kick harder than shot loads, though that may be partially due to being stationary when you shoot them.

Remember, this is your hunting gun. You won't even feel it when you take a
shot at a deer. Get good recoil pad or Lead Sled for sighting in and
enjoy carrying it all day.

F

Back
Top Bottom