40 vs 45 +P recoil

Hey guys, I never see anyone talk about this topic at all ever. How does standard 40 S&W loads, such as 165 grain and 180 grain compare to 45 +p, such as 185 grain +P; how do they compare in terms of recoil?

For what it's worth, I find 40S&W to be "snappy" while 45 is more of a "push"...yep, as I said, for what it's worth.

Not sure you need to be messing with +P in 45...but that's personal preference.

Damn I glossed over the first sentence and didn't realize it was an unfunny troll.

I'd have to be willing to own/shoot 40 S&W to have an opinion on this...

Sorta feels like the exchange "tastes like sh*t", "how do you know what sh*t tastes like?" You have to admit to shooting 40 S&W enough to have an opinion

.40 in a glock 27 .. for me sucks ... on recoil..
.40 out of heavy H&K ... not bad

.45+P in a glock 36/30 Sucks for me ...

.45+P in a springfield armory loaded black operator 1911... piece of cake i could do it all day

I'd have to be willing to own/shoot 40 S&W to have an opinion on this...

Sorta feels like the exchange "tastes like sh*t", "how do you know what sh*t tastes like?" You have to admit to shooting 40 S&W enough to have an opinion

Paging 40 S&W to the burn unit!

Though I have owned several .40 caliber pistols over the years I have never really enjoyed shooting that caliber. Yes, I sold them all. No matter what the bullet weight I always found the 40 caliber to be snappy. Now .45 caliber that's another story. I was able to comfortably shoot Winchester Ranger 230gr.+P with no problem out of my Colt Combat Commander. But now that I'm older I only shoot 9mm or 38spl.

I have a 40sw 4013 pistol it's the double stack model. I like the wider grip. I bought the pistol because like that gen of SW semi auto. It's not a big pistol and it holsters well and from a grip and point perspective the pistol does this well. Now compared to my 1911 if I just grip and draw the pistol is not always naturally pointing where I want it.
As for recoil...yes the 40 sw does have a snap to it vs the 45...
So in the end I carry the 4013 in 40 because it fits my needs. I also bought the pistol because it was in expensive.
Now I also have a 39-2 sw in,9mm and it's rather a light pistol vs the 4013 and 1911s so I feel like that has a greater degree of muzzle flip.
There's nothing magical about any of the different cal. I rather have a handgun that draws easy and ends up pointing where I want it to with little manipulation... if I'm going target shooting I prefer light 38spl loads.
It's all good.

40 is short and weak. A liberal version of 10mm....But it's too snappy for everyone.

Even if you're used to a 45, a 40 feels like a bazooka and sounds like a cannon. The recoil bruises your hands, and the brass flying past your face is disorienting. The one time I shot a 40, the explosions gave me a temporary form of PTSD, and I felt irritable and anxious for hours. The smell of N320 and sulfur made me sick.

Even if you're used to a 45, a 40 feels like a bazooka and sounds like a cannon. The recoil bruises your hands, and the brass flying past your face is disorienting. The one time I shot a 40, the explosions gave me a temporary form of PTSD, and I felt irritable and anxious for hours. The smell of N320 and sulfur made me sick.

Might you be the same journalist that suffered terribly after firing an AR? [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom