Itchy skin after the gun range....Anyone else?

Welcome to the forum. Make sure that you double up on hearing protection when you are shooting indoors. Ass for your skin issues I might try a different gun cleaner and oil. Also how much oil do you leave on you firearm does it look wet right before you shoot.

My suggestions are simple.

1) Go to the range and just sit and watch for about an hour. Take NONE of your gear with you. See if you still get the reaction without shooting. IF you do, you'll have identified the fact that there is some environmental issue going on here for you.......something in the air that is affecting your skin but it's not your gear or firearms. It's not unheard of. But, if you don't shoot and don't get that reaction, then you'll know it's something you own that's bothering you specific to your gear.

2) If just sitting there doesn't trigger a reaction now you should go to the range and shoot a buddy's equipment. Don't bring any or your own gear including muffs or glasses. If you don't break out, you'll once again have identified that it's something that you personally own.

3) If once again you're not affected, lets look at what you own. The reaction could be any of a number of things like a lubricant or something you've cleaned your firearms (both interior or exterior) with. Also, are any of your firearms or brass nickel coated? Believe it or not, nickel reactions are quite common. Lots of women (my wife included) can't wear ANY jewelry that has ANY nickel in the metal. It's commonly added to increase the strength of the metal and, of course can be found on ammo cartridges and finishes on some handguns. My daughter helped me in my shop over the summer and she broke out after a couple of hours. Turned out she was holding a handful of small nickle coated screws in her hands. Her hands didn't break out, her face did.

My bet is that you're having a reaction to one of these items. There is little published about anyone having a "lead sensitivity" that resembles your symptons. More likely it's going to be something else, like a chemical or something like nickel, that is common in this type of situation.

And, no, I'm not a doctor but my youngest daughter developed some rather severe allergies when she turned 20 and we were instructed by a doctor to engage in this type of investigation to find out where he should begin looking. Thankfully it was resolved but it took a bit of time and experimentation.

Please let us know how you make out. Other guys may be reacting to a similar stimulus but less severe and your reports will help us identify possible culprits.

Rome

I agree about the positive comments about AFS. Matt the owner and the guys that work there keep it spanking clean. Then ventilation seems good to me, it's never stuffy. As I've said, it's a great place to shoot. They have always been very nice and helpful with any questions. That was important for me because since I began shooting, I have encountered some big jerks who think because I happen to be female I have some kind of genetic ignorance. I am not talking about helpfulness, I like helpfulness, but talking to me like I ride the little bus and wear a helmet in my opinion is just condescending.

But I digress. Sorry.

I do use double ear protection.

My gun is not oily when I go to shoot. It is cleaned regularly, about every 500 rounds, which is almost every trip. I use Hoppes & Rem Oil spray.

I will have to watch all my physical actions and see if I can narrow this down. Cross contamination may be a definite issue.

I appreciate all the help with this silly, but irritating issue. Ha-Ha, a pun.

Hoppes could be the culprit. Even the plastic in the cushions used on the earmuffs could be causing a reaction. Rome's ideas are an excellent way to dissect this problem.

Try a different solvent instead of Hoppes.

Try different brand of earmuffs.

I hate the idea of going to my very liberal gun hating (but great) medical Dr and discussing the issues with skin irritation and how I think it may have to do with my lifestyle/hobby. Anyone have referrals for non-hippy-liberal-gun-hating MD's?

You have just described my primary care physician to a T. However, the nurse practitioner who works in her office couldn't care less about my hobbies (she's not anti-gun, she's just neutral on them - she gets a kick out of how enthusiastic I am, though) and that is why I see her and not the doc. If you're serious and want to travel up to Westboro to see her, let me know and I'll PM you the office number and her name.

If the Doctor is a 'gun hater' and has discussed this with you then he/she isn't all that great. If you're hesitating for even a second to discuss a medical problem because of his/her personal opinions then I suggest you have a problem on your hands. Tell him/her to do the job and STFU. Or find a new doctor.

As for the rash. Lots of good advice here. You might want to try shooting at some other ranges both in and out. That will determine if your issue originates at the range or with you and your equipment. From there you can continue the process of elimination.

If the Doctor is a 'gun hater' and has discussed this with you then he/she isn't all that great. If you're hesitating for even a second to discuss a medical problem because of his/her personal opinions then I suggest you have a problem on your hands. Tell him/her to do the job and STFU. Or find a new doctor.

I wish it were that easy! A lot of the Dr.'s in our area are liberal wacky doodles. I have been looking and talking to people about if they have a good Primary M.D., if they do the Dr. is usually not accepting patients and I don't want to leave my Dr. without a new one in place and be at the mercy of the ER if something like strep throat happens.

I do have to say, our Pediatrician is not judgmental about the gun issue. #1 Son was bursting with pride about the rifle Grandpa bought him and told her when asked what was new. That was a big surprise. She says she knows us well enough to know that we are responsible. Imagine that!

Westboro is a little far for me to drive Dwarven1, thanks for the offer. If anyone knows of a good M.D. or RNP in Bristol County, let me know.

Since the itchies seem to be around your eyes you might be allergic to your glasses or the sweat/humidity that is under them while you are wearing them. It could be make up, skin creams or soap that doesn't mix well with the plastic or trapped sweat. It also could be a bacterial problem that is touched off from the glasses or sweat. Perhaps the frames contain latex or a mold release agent or a component of the plastic contain something you are allergic to. Clean your glasses and wear them for a few hours to see if they are the cause of your problems.

Hot water draws the oils out of skin. It isn't good to wash with hot water.

It isn't any good to use around the eyes or mucas areas but the best treatment for itchy skin is Vicks Menthol rub. Yah, the stuff your mom used to rub on your chest when you were a kid with a stuffy nose. It works on athletes foot too but I don't think I'd try it on jock itch. I wouldn't put it on a raw rash either.

If your glasses are metal frames you could be having a reaction to the nickel in the frames.

Last edited:
AimTrueMom said:
My main itchy area is my face, all around my eyes.

Stupid question time. Do you take ANY medications? My better half has had itchy face until she stopped a med or two. Although I could not find a reason that it would only happen after a visit to the range.

You could also try a few drops of saline eye wash immediately after shooting. Wash them out and eliminate that as a source. Have you tried other shooting glasses? Do you only use these glasses when you shoot?

Nope, no medications.

Someone in the field of industrial medicine suggested using a barrier cream. They are for the face and hands when working with strong chemicals. I am going to try to research that more.

Back
Top Bottom