It is sugaring time

I got about 18.5 out of 20 taps, I'm pretty happy with that, boiling now. Next year I'm building an RO system.
I started boiling about three hours ago. I just finished some syrup and plan on doing a little bit more before I call it a night.
a1b571c37f283d64fbba84c25915bfa3.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I started boiling about three hours ago. I just finished some syrup and plan on doing a little bit more before I call it a night.
a1b571c37f283d64fbba84c25915bfa3.jpg

Nice, yeah I started about 5pm, I can boil about 3 gallons/hr off. I like these days of warmer/cooler weather it gives me time to process batches before the next 30-40 gallons come. I've been finishing about 3 qts of syrup/week.

So sap started running again for some? Mine stopped when all this warm weather came and it looked like buds were getting well formed at the tips of branches. Therefore I pulled taps and that was all...

Nice, yeah I started about 5pm, I can boil about 3 gallons/hr off. I like these days of warmer/cooler weather it gives me time to process batches before the next 30-40 gallons come. I've been finishing about 3 qts of syrup/week.
My evap can evaporate 9 to 12 gallons an hour. I takes me about four hours to make a gallon of syrup. My weekend is going to be busy. I will probably get another 100 gallons of sap tomorrow. That will leave me about 250 gallons to cook this weekend. It is a good thing I enjoy doing it.
Good luck, Please post pictures.

I just bottles 5 quarts of syrup. I am way behind my usual.

I got about 8 more gallons today, I have around 40 gallons concentrated down to 10ish on the burners now. Should get close to 4 quarts out of this batch, that will put me at almost 10 quarts for the year so far.

I figured there is maybe 2 more weeks left, I'm hoping to hit 4 gallons of finished syrup out of my 20 taps.

20170224_083742.jpg

I got about 8 more gallons today, I have around 40 gallons concentrated down to 10ish on the burners now. Should get close to 4 quarts out of this batch, that will put me at almost 10 quarts for the year so far.

I figured there is maybe 2 more weeks left, I'm hoping to hit 4 gallons of finished syrup out of my 20 taps.

View attachment 192849
You are doing well. I have 125 taps up and have made only 2.5 gallons so far. I do have 150 gallons to cook this weekend so that will help but I will still be way off. I made 15 gallons last year.

Everything has stopped here also. I haven't pulled them yet but might this weekend.

For me, when we get 3 days of warm weather the 3rd/4th day it stops. Once we have some cold weather (like this weekend) then it warms back up again, get a bunch more.

Last year I was getting sap until around April 1, it was kinda bleh by the end but it was still running. I expect to be getting sap until a similar time this year since the season started about 2 weeks later this year than last.

Yikes, I brought mine in to finish on the stove a bit early. Maybe another hour or so to get the last of it boiled off, should be close to 4 quarts. Then I'll be done until probably late next week when the trees wake back up.

How open is the sugar house? Lots of ventilation?

I got about 70 gals in barrels frozen and about 45 gals worth partly boiled down in the pans. Going to try to boil tomorrow and get it all done. Not sure with the weather but we will see.

Yikes, I brought mine in to finish on the stove a bit early. Maybe another hour or so to get the last of it boiled off, should be close to 4 quarts. Then I'll be done until probably late next week when the trees wake back up.

How open is the sugar house? Lots of ventilation?

Will they wake back up in N Central Mass? I was thinking I was done...

They should. I am pulling my buckets for the storm but will put them up once its passed. Hoping to get another 2-3 gals made before this all winds down.

Thanks- I had pulled everything already. Maybe I can get a few more gallons before heading to Brazil for work. Wouldn't mind being there this weekend- this high wind and zero degrees blows...

Wind is miserable today. Going to finish about 1.5 gallons and call it quits. Let the rest of my sap freeze in the barrels and deal with it after the storm. Going to pull my buckets this afternoon too.

Buckets were back out yesterday and today was a great day for sap. Going to check them in the morning. Got the evaporator all dug out and going to fire up in the morning. Goal is to get through about 90 gals tomorrow and part of Sunday to get the barrels empty. That should get me very close to my 10 gals of syrup goal.

I had about 20 gallons of sap on my 20 taps the past couple days, a couple trees didn't come back after the cold but most of them are still running decent. I expect another week or two until they are all done for good.

Hoping to finish another 1-2 gallons before the season is over.

Almost done. Pulled our taps yesterday and I have about 70 gals of sap left to boil. Finished 11.5 gals so far so this should put me at about 13 gals finished

This years haul, about 1.5 gallons. Also made a pound of maple candy and a pint sized mason jar of cream from last years leftovers.

The candy was easy, cream was really hard.

This years haul, about 1.5 gallons. Also made a pound of maple candy and a pint sized mason jar of cream from last years leftovers.

The candy was easy, cream was really hard.

Try making granulated sugar. It is great. I have not tried making the cream yet.

Last boil is tonight and will finish it off tomorrow. Great if weird season for me. Will have a little over 13 gals made when it is all said and done. Now to clean everything and stow it away.

Back
Top Bottom