It is sugaring time

Very early but looking at the weather for the next 10-15 days I tapped the maples. The sap was definitely running well. I feel like I should have tapped a week ago. It will be an interesting season.

I am questioning if I should put my spouts up or not. It has been a nice couple of days. But I am worried the weather changes back to normal and the spouts dry out a bit in the next couole of weeks. I want to wait until around February 26th but some of the big producers near me have started already. It is a tough call.

Is this a karma? Sweet......in [laugh]

Eta.....being a wise guy is all. Maple syrup is the best thing on the planet, imo.

Last edited:
We do it just for fun and in small batches. I think the most I have ever done in one run was about 1.5 gals. Because we do it in small batches, there is a significant difference in early and late for us. Early it is usually lighter in color and taste. In the end it is very dark and maply. It varies every year. It is a combination of temps sap is stored at, amount of sugar and minerals in the sap, how long it is boiled etc. Larger commercial companies blend to maintain consistency and meet commercial grade requirements. Also a lot of times the early sap is higher in sugars so your yield is better.

We do it just for fun and in small batches. I think the most I have ever done in one run was about 1.5 gals. Because we do it in small batches, there is a significant difference in early and late for us. Early it is usually lighter in color and taste. In the end it is very dark and maply. It varies every year. It is a combination of temps sap is stored at, amount of sugar and minerals in the sap, how long it is boiled etc. Larger commercial companies blend to maintain consistency and meet commercial grade requirements. Also a lot of times the early sap is higher in sugars so your yield is better.

If you have any left over and you want to find a buyer, I'm in :)

I put a few taps in this week but am resisting the temptation to do the rest. I'll boil a small batch of sap tomorrow. First time for us so were excited nonetheless

It's real maple syrup or nothing for me. We love to visit some of the smaller operations around the state. Usually pick up at minimum a quart. I think if you live in NH and still use that corn syrup swill like Mrs. Buttersworth's, they should come to your house, watch as you pack up your things, and kindly point you toward the nearest state line.

My wife mocks me because when we go to breakfast at the place that serves the hash that she prefers, I bring my own bottle of syrup. The only serve the fake crap. I expect it of Mc D's, but any restaurant that actually prepares breakfast foods should have it as an offering.

i just ordered some taps and a drill bit. this'll be my first time trying to collect sap and make some syrup.

do some of you already have sap running? I was thinking of waiting until after this next cold snap to tap the trees. is there any harm in me tapping the trees now?

I decided to put my taps up tommorow (175) and go for broke. I sugar as a hobby but my goal is to make 30 gallons of syrup this season. Some pictures for you pleasure.
60c2b018c04ae7401d56a8b680fe7b8f.jpg
cba8fbb94dea8c8403a5f6db97c3b190.jpg
004531ee60c14190604a268291701f4b.jpg

Your bottle in the picture is the early batch syrup? Is that correct? Generally sweeter?
It really varies by the year. Some years I get all types of grade A and others I get some A and good amount of B. I like the grade b much more as it has a much stronger maple flavor. That bottle in the picture was grade A medium amber.

My wife mocks me because when we go to breakfast at the place that serves the hash that she prefers, I bring my own bottle of syrup. The only serve the fake crap. I expect it of Mc D's, but any restaurant that actually prepares breakfast foods should have it as an offering.

The Shawsheen?

My wife took my 14 year old to some audobon society property yesterday for a presentation on the process. They got to tap a tree and put out a bucket......but the sap was not running yesterday as it was only 34 degrees when they were out. I find the whole process fascinating. It is a dream of mine to own land enough to do that kind of stuff. Probably never gonna happen but I can dream I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

I decided to put my taps up tommorow (175) and go for broke. I sugar as a hobby but my goal is to make 30 gallons of syrup this season. Some pictures for you pleasure.
60c2b018c04ae7401d56a8b680fe7b8f.jpg
cba8fbb94dea8c8403a5f6db97c3b190.jpg
004531ee60c14190604a268291701f4b.jpg

MURICA! **** YEAH!

I put a few taps in this week but am resisting the temptation to do the rest. I'll boil a small batch of sap tomorrow. First time for us so were excited nonetheless

Boiled it down yesterday with my daughter and just enjoyed our first batch with this morning's breakfast. Watching the color change and then the consistency was neat although I need to get a better filtering setup as the first pass through the "filter" still had lots of niter in it. Looking forward to continuing it.

Boiled it down yesterday with my daughter and just enjoyed our first batch with this morning's breakfast. Watching the color change and then the consistency was neat although I need to get a better filtering setup as the first pass through the "filter" still had lots of niter in it. Looking forward to continuing it.
Pics or it didn't happen. Lol

Like others, my family is considering tapping our trees in VT this year (first time). It seemed to me that it is a little early, but I am no expert. I guess if it is running, thats all that matters. The weather shows it getting very cold at the end of this week. Roccoracer, from the picture, it appears you use the traditional bucket method and many taps. We were leaning towards plastic lines. We have many trees spread over a very large area.

Is there any benefit of one method over the other, or is it preference?

Back
Top Bottom