It followed me home yesterday.

Yup, he also had an FN49, I was standing there with the Madsen in one hand and the FN49 in the other (ever been there before). If I had the cash I would have bought both. Both of these were about as close to perfect as you can get. The FN still had cosmo in the barrel. I like the bolt guns, so I went for the madsen, but man, What a decision to make.

They seem pretty rare, only about five thousand made I think. How was it to shoot recoil wise?

I enjoyed shooting it. The recoil was not an issue because of the muzzle break and the rubber buttplate. It was the only milsurp that I ever owned that needed no changes to make a nice sporter. The only downside was that the split bridge made scope mounting impractical (without modifying the gun.)
I believe that the M58 has the distinction of being the last military bolt gun ever produced.

I enjoyed shooting it. The recoil was not an issue because of the muzzle break and the rubber buttplate. It was the only milsurp that I ever owned that needed no changes to make a nice sporter. The only downside was that the split bridge made scope mounting impractical (without modifying the gun.)
I believe that the M58 has the distinction of being the last military bolt gun ever produced.

I read on surplusrifle.com that the M58 was the peak of military bolt action designs. It takes elements from the Mauser and Mosin Nagant. Hopefully I can get this baby to the range soon.
Walter..

Back
Top Bottom