• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ishapore Enfield 2A in .308

Garys

NES Member
A distributor who shall remain nameless has them for $169.00 in their latest flier. The blurb says they were made in the 1960s using modern metals. I'm tempted, but I don't know much about them.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,

Gary

I own one. It's a different looking enfield in that the finish is pretty much just paint, and I don't shoot it a lot (only once, actually, just to see if it would fire) but it looks pretty well made and locks up tight.

I bought mine for $65 and it was well worth it. For 169, you might want to do more research.

I would NOT use full power .308 commercial loads in it.

A distributor who shall remain nameless has them for $169.00 in their latest flier. The blurb says they were made in the 1960s using modern metals. I'm tempted, but I don't know much about them.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,

Gary
I have been thinking of picking one of these up for a while now, as I would love to own a bolt action in .308 NATO. Also tossing around the idea of a converted Israeli Mauser they're a little more $$ though. Thanks for asking my question. [grin]

Good info Cross-X, just based on the controversy in that thread I think I'll personally pass on these. Guess I'll either have to save for the Mauser or buy something modern.

Best way to own an Enfield that is just alittle cheaper to shoot. Condition on mine was good and bore was very good. Seems to have a mag-related problem that I'm working on but I've seen this problem on a No. 1 also. The rifle shoots decent. They were made to handle 7.62mm ammo - not .308. If you get one, shoot only 7.62mm NATO ammo thru it.

Joe R.

Garys, I bought one of these Ishapore Enfields at the price you are indicating and I couldn't be happier with it. It did arrive in a not so pretty condition with a lot of cosmo on it and really crappy paint job on the metal parts. But then again, I love to strip these old rifles down, clean them up and put them back. For mine I completely stripped the paint off the metal parts and used replaced it with Aluma-Hyde I got from Brownells. I also stipped the stock and put a nice coat of True Oil on it. It gave it a very nice reddish color to the wood that I think is pretty close to the original color.

100_1555.jpg

As to ammo, I've used mostly surplus 7.62 ammo with it and have several hundred rounds though it. It's not eactly a tack driver, but has given me 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards. Plenty accurate for me. I took it to the Pumpkin shoot last year and hit a few smaller pumpkins with it set at the 100 yrd berm.

The only problem I've had with it was that a piece of the stock by where the bolt folds down broke off early on. It looked like an old break. I glued them back together with Gorilla (sp?) glue and it's been fine ever since.

For the money, I don't think you can go wrong. YOMV

i also have one of these and for the money it is a good buy!! and i have
shot Millitary surp in it and also my own handloads in .308 win brass
"no Problem" BUT i also have owned a two Isreali mod1916s in 308 and
they have problems!!! they were originaly 7X57 Mauser then rebareld
for the N.A.T.O round but they shoot way-high and they do not feed
very well as the follower and reciever opening were not alterd for the larger diamiter .308 case!!! believe me the Ishapore is a better choice it was
built for the 308 not a conversion.!!!
thats my story and im stickin to it Sheriff Dudley

I own two of these rifles, payed about a hundred a piece twelve years ago. I stripped the wood and used Tung Oil on the stocks to get a beautiful wood grain but I left the paint on the metal as is. You may need to build up the base of the stock with some wood repair or putty.

Mine have excellent bores and accuracy is excellent with good ammo, milsurp or hand loads, no commercial. I got a chance to fire mine with a former Indian Soldier who carried one of these. About a thousand rounds through one and four hundred through the other.

As far as the magazines they appear to have used cheap springs. You can get after market and original magazines from Hoosier Gun Works (only place I have ever found). This will fix most feeding issues.

Back
Top Bottom