• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is your USPSA club participating in the provisional Pistol Cal Carbine division?

New rules & best practices posted on the USPSA website: Nice.

Note that "downrange" means generally downrange too not perpendicular to the far berm.

They also specified stronk and weak hand shooting.

Facing downrange at the start means shoulders square to the backstop....at least the non-PCC specific stuff

Facing downrange at the start means shoulders square to the backstop....at least the non-PCC specific stuff

The best practices specifically state that is not necessarily the case for PCC:

"Muzzle downrange means generally downrange, and does not have to be directly horizontal, pointing at the backstop, unless the WSB specifies it as such."

The best practices specifically state that is not necessarily the case for PCC:

"Muzzle downrange means generally downrange, and does not have to be directly horizontal, pointing at the backstop, unless the WSB specifies it as such."

Gotcha, you're talking muzzles and I'm talking shoulders. Good that they made that distinction before people started taking out protractors and shit

Gotcha, you're talking muzzles and I'm talking shoulders. Good that they made that distinction before people started taking out protractors and shit

Agreed. I actually think they work together: If you want my shoulders square, my muzzle will be canted while if you want the muzzle square, it is my shoulders that will be canted.

Personally I would prefer to cant my shoulders.

Last edited:

To me, 'directly horizontal' would mean barrel horizontal and parallel with ground.
So, 'generally downrange' would mean the barrel does NOT have to be parallel with ground. In other words, pointing at the backstop would be ok, as would pointing at the ground X yards out in front of the start position.

If a stage briefing says facing downrange, a pistol shooter must be square to the backstop, not leaning or twisting one way. For a PCC shooter, being left or right handed may be an advantage of having the barrel quicker to come up to the first target of a particular stage.

These rules give a match director the ability to start PCC division differently than other divisions.
Examples would be: obviously 'facing up-range with both wrists above respective sholders' vs 'facing downrange, stock on belt, muzzle downrange'
'hands on marks' vs 'muzzle on mark'
'pistol in box on table' vs 'PCC on table'

The only other instance I know of for start positions being different depending on what division you shoot came up recently at Pelham match, the briefing said magazine loaded but chamber empty. Not much of a question for semi-auto pistol, but how do you do that in a revolver? Revolver shooters were started with all the chambers loaded.
Remember, in USPSA, you compete only against others in your division.

There can only be one winner
Per division.

The fact that there is an OPEN winner does not diminish the "win" of the person who won LIMITED with lower hit factors in the same match.

Once you talk about winners within classes in the same division, it'd a different matter and you are 100% correct.

Back
Top Bottom