• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is your USPSA club participating in the provisional Pistol Cal Carbine division?

So far
Monson no
hopkinton yes
cap city yes
Bass River yes
Pelham F&G not set in stone but it looks like a no
Harvard no
Granby Yes

Last edited:
Does anyone know how this works? We have PCC's and would love to try it but info seems hard to come by.

Harvard - no.

Ranges do not allow use of rifles except for specific approved matches, i.e. rifle or 3 gun matches. Not approved for general long gun use.

I think you know how a USPSA match works... What are your questions or concerns?

The holster seems to be a stumbling block wrt muzzle sweeps and something like El Prez. Pete said they will try using a bag, I simply don't understand how that would work in practice. My questions primarily center around the start position. Also, unlimited magazines seems to be interesting.

No mag size or cap limit. Troy McManis has left a lot of the details up to stage designers/match directors. Some safety rules are in place: PCC MUST be chamber flagged and either carried muzzle up or bagged, I recomend bagged. At make ready it will be unbagged. All starts will be facing downrange at low ready, regardless of stage briefing.

I recommend you squad with me, as I would like to RO to see how it goes. I am looking forward to shooting PCC later in the season myself.

No mag size or cap limit. Troy McManis has left a lot of the details up to stage designers/match directors. Some safety rules are in place: PCC MUST be chamber flagged and either carried muzzle up or bagged, I recomend bagged. At make ready it will be unbagged. All starts will be facing downrange at low ready, regardless of stage briefing.

I recommend you squad with me, as I would like to RO to see how it goes. I am looking forward to shooting PCC later in the season myself.

We are running the Excruciathalon this Saturday but we plan to run it next month. It's just a matter of timing this month: That's why the multicam and VTAC board on the rifle range. [emoji849]

That leaves us some time to figure out some finer details bc I do want to run production this season too.

Don't know how that would be possible given they obviously don't make minor power factor and probably can't knock down all the steel.

Just trying to find a use for my 22 upper. When I hear pistol caliber carbine match, I think of the Pioneer match held several years ago that included 22 rimfire; no steel. Just wishful thinking.

Just trying to find a use for my 22 upper. When I hear pistol caliber carbine match, I think of the Pioneer match held several years ago that included 22 rimfire; no steel. Just wishful thinking.

That was a super fun match! ( I happened to get my first high overall with a borrowed M&P 15-22) [emoji41]

Does anyone plan on shooting PCC at Hopkinton tomorrow? (April 2nd)
If so, please see me in the AM
Sean Janicki

Isn't that why they created Steel Challenge? [smile]

SC is great and I love it, but limited as to courses of fire. The Pioneer match was essentially a practical rifle match that also allowed rimfire. A lot of fun for short $. As long as the match involves stages of less than 100 yds, I can't see why rimfire guns should not be allowed. 223 isn't much different than 22 rimfire except for the noise and $.

SC is great and I love it, but limited as to courses of fire. The Pioneer match was essentially a practical rifle match that also allowed rimfire. A lot of fun for short $. As long as the match involves stages of less than 100 yds, I can't see why rimfire guns should not be allowed. 223 isn't much different than 22 rimfire except for the noise and $.

Personally, I miss the old Pioneer IDPA carbine matches. And, yes, you could say the Steel Challenge courses are a bit "limited" as they only have so many designs to pick from. FWIW, I just shot SC up there yesterday, and it was fun, as usual.

To integrate .22LR into a match, you'd have to restrict the designs to paper only, and Harvard generally likes to use some steel targets in every match, both rifle and pistol. Plus, there is a club restriction on general use of long guns in the action pits.

So Harvard has no plans to allow PCC's for steel challenge matches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 9mm Colt AR-15 hasn't had a workout since New Bedford shut its competition crew down . . . . . . [angry]

Boo hoo,
"Point Blank" Frank
:cool:

So Harvard has no plans to allow PCC's for steel challenge matches?
According to Paul's announcement for the May match, PCCs *are* allowed now on a provisional basis.

- - - Updated - - -

My 9mm Colt AR-15 hasn't had a workout since New Bedford shut its competition crew down . . . . . . [angry]

Boo hoo,
"Point Blank" Frank
:cool:

The May Harvard match will allow them, and if you ever get yourself up to Pioneer, they allow them too. [grin]

Will they be (provisionally) allowed for both Steel Challenge & USPSA matches starting in May?

Harvard's May USPSA match was on the 8th, PCC was not an available division. Currently, there isn't a convinsing argument to allow PCC at a match until HQ will accept the division scores. Sometime in June, if I remember correctly, they will start.

In the meantime, contact your section coordinator, Dan Hurley, and your area director, David Bold, and express your desire to participate in the provisional division. Both their email are here http://www.uspsa7.org/

Harvard's May USPSA match was on the 8th, PCC was not an available division. Currently, there isn't a convinsing argument to allow PCC at a match until HQ will accept the division scores. Sometime in June, if I remember correctly, they will start.

In the meantime, contact your section coordinator, Dan Hurley, and your area director, David Bold, and express your desire to participate in the provisional division. Both their email are here http://www.uspsa7.org/

I am reading the USPSA forum topic now.

"Suggested best practices" from USPSA

https://uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2016/PCC%20Best%20Practices.pdf

example of modified stage briefing / start position
El Presidente is a 12-round, 60-point Virginia Count Classifier Course. There are
three metric targets. The best four hits per target will score. The start signal is
audible
Start Position: Standing in Box A, back to targets, toes of both feet against rear of
fault line of Box A, both wrists above respective shoulders. Your gun will be loaded
and holstered.
PCC start position is standing in Box A, facing downrange, stock on belt, muzzle
downrange, loaded carbine held in both hands with safety on.
On the start signal, from Box A only, turn then draw and engage T1-T3 with only
two rounds per target, make a mandatory reload, then engage T1-T3 with only two
rounds per target.
PCC: No turn

from https://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/NCCB_4.1_2016.pdf

Last edited:
New rules & best practices posted on the USPSA website: Nice.

Note that "downrange" means generally downrange too not perpendicular to the far berm.

They also specified stronk and weak hand shooting.

Back
Top Bottom