Is this just to much like common sense?

Instead of new laws to make it harder for legal gun owners to buy guns or the type of guns or amount of rounds why would't you just make violent crime and illegal gun crimes have larger penalties? It seems like we raise the cost of insurance and speeding tickets. I never hear politicians say maybe we should make slower cars.

Instead of new laws to make it harder for legal gun owners to buy guns or the type of guns or amount of rounds why would't you just make violent crime and illegal gun crimes have larger penalties? It seems like we raise the cost of insurance and speeding tickets. I never hear politicians say maybe we should make slower cars.

Study the actual "punishment" meted out in crimes against people before you make this suggestion publicly!

You're in for a serious eye-opening experience if you do so.

Don't you know that now a days "common sense" has no place in our judicial system. Or for that matter in our executive or legislative branches either. [rolleyes]

The judges and lawyers have no vested interest incarcerating incorrigible criminals with longer sentences, as this would dramatically cut down on the number of appearances in various courts. This could have the effect of reducing the need for so many judges and lawyers.

The judges and lawyers have no vested interest incarcerating incorrigible criminals with longer sentences, as this would dramatically cut down on the number of appearances in various courts. This could have the effect of reducing the need for so many judges and lawyers.

...and parole officers and social workers and...

But what really gets their knickers twisted is when a citizen takes, um, corrective action such that the offender never even enters the system (e.g. George Zimmerman vis-à-vis Trayvon Martin). Such instances of self-reliance strike right at the very heart of their fiefdom and thus cannot be tolerated.

Don't you know that now a days "common sense" has no place in our judicial system. Or for that matter in our executive or legislative branches either. [rolleyes]

There is a place for common sense, however, it is totally absent from all of the branches of government!

How about we get rid of stupid drug laws and let people get guns without having to pay for the "right" to carry things will sort themselves out very quickly.

Well, it seems the people who perpetrate the violent crimes and illegal gun crimes just don't give a rat's a$$ about the law or penalties involved. And that right there takes all the power out of the law. If people don't respect it or follow it then it's impotent.

Besides, it really isn't about making people safer and the lawmakers get the brownie points from the sheeple for looking like they are doing something about the problem.

How about we get rid of stupid drug laws and let people get guns without having to pay for the "right" to carry things will sort themselves out very quickly.

Oh, heaven forfend! That employs even MORE police, corrections officers, testing facilities, treatment centers (with MORE social workers), ... Even bigger, more lucrative fiefdom than actual crime!

Everyone should read Three Felonies a Day. You can get it through interlibrary loan if your local library does not have it.

Well, it seems the people who perpetrate the violent crimes and illegal gun crimes just don't give a rat's a$$ about the law or penalties involved. And that right there takes all the power out of the law. If people don't respect it or follow it then it's impotent.

Besides, it really isn't about making people safer and the lawmakers get the brownie points from the sheeple for looking like they are doing something about the problem.

Maybe this is because that people have children and allow then to run the show. My first experience with crime and punishment came from mom and dad and give me a healthy respect to do what's right or you won't like the consistence. Maybe licensing parent hood would help

- - - Updated - - -

Greed has trumped common sense in so many aspects of our society

Study the actual "punishment" meted out in crimes against people before you make this suggestion publicly!

You're in for a serious eye-opening experience if you do so.

I have looked at a few tables but those are only guidelines. Since I decided to take me and my families safety in my own hand and when the down the road of getting my license, only 7 months ago. My eyes have been opened pretty wide from this site including alot of your post.

Thank you all as I separate from the sheep

Last edited:
"Common sense" has no place in the law. In fact, it is antithetical to the law. "Common sense" is a heard instinct that is slight of hand for "mob rule." Common sense will deprive one of their individual rights in favor of the collective and common sense changes with the tides of the base instincts of the masses. "Common sense" laws are the ones that require a fence around a 2 1/2 foot kiddie pool and have no historical or cultural basis in regulating good order in a society.

I think that you missed it. As has been posted here more times than I can count . . .

People commit many serious crimes and basically walk or are set free after a very short sentence, only to repeat over and over again.

It's a "catch and release" system, not by design but by implementation in the courts. THAT is where the effort needs to be concentrated and since judges are appointed for life and answerable to NOBODY, I don't see that happening in my lifetime in MA.

Police have no influence on this, ask some if you want.

DAs are over-burdened and prefer a plea-bargain to a trial, so that feeds the badness of the current system . . . and the judges go-along, to complete the travesties.

I think that you missed it. As has been posted here more times than I can count . . .

People commit many serious crimes and basically walk or are set free after a very short sentence, only to repeat over and over again.

It's a "catch and release" system, not by design but by implementation in the courts. THAT is where the effort needs to be concentrated and since judges are appointed for life and answerable to NOBODY, I don't see that happening in my lifetime in MA.

Police have no influence on this, ask some if you want.

DAs are over-burdened and prefer a plea-bargain to a trial, so that feeds the badness of the current system . . . and the judges go-along, to complete the travesties.

True enough. The Judges are horrible and the largest part of the problem not just in the criminal system but in the legal system as a whole. It starts early, in law schools teaching complete crap that decimates 200 years of jurisprudence and relegates the profession down to "feeling" and one based upon political ends. When you can take s graded class in law school call "yoga for lawyers" or a class which has as the final grade a "collage" you know where things are going.

Back
Top Bottom