Is there benefit in having a hard chromed bolt instead of a standard bolt for an AR?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
As I'm gathering my list to build my NES AR-15 Upper I have a choice between a standard bolt and a hard chromed bolt. My current M4 has a standard bolt, but I'm wondering if there's a benefit of having a chromed bolt and if it's worth the extra money.

What do you think?

Carbon wouldn't stick to its as much so cleaning would be a bit easier but other than that, no.

I have been told that a chromed bolt actually wears the inside of the upper. The chrome is harder than tool steel. I have to make the disclaimer, I have never owned one and I don't know anyone who has. This info came from a buddy in Texas who swears a chromed bolt messed up his brothers AR. Your mileage may vary.

Its easier to clean and thatspretty much, as for damage as long as the bolt was properly chromed and the specs weren't changed then the extra wear should be negligable

I have been told that a chromed bolt actually wears the inside of the upper. The chrome is harder than tool steel. I have to make the disclaimer, I have never owned one and I don't know anyone who has. This info came from a buddy in Texas who swears a chromed bolt messed up his brothers AR. Your mileage may vary.

That would be a chromed Bolt Carrier the bolt itself does not contact the upper at all.
No real benefit to them other than taking more money away from ammo.

Back
Top Bottom