• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is the AK-74 actually legal in CT???

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeibitchai12

Banned
According to the SFLU, the banned AK-47 "type" must meet three criteria to be considered a "type". I have a 74 I bought at a Waterbury gun show and was assured it was legal to own in CT.

1) Does it look like an AK-47? Yes, most definitely.

2) Does it function like an AK-47? Yes, most definitely.

3) Can AK-47 parts be swapped into it and function correctly? ??????

Anyone ever tried this? I'm not talking about trying to stuff a 7.62 into a 5.45mm chamber. I'm talking about IF the parts fit, would the 5.45 round still fire, extract and eject? I have an SKS and just compared the back of the 7.62 case to a 5.45mm one. Not really that much difference at all. Seems like the 47 extractor would still be long enough to get over the rim. Something to think about... Anyone know for sure? I'll have to try this with my 74 when I get back to my 47s left behind in a "free state". [rolleyes]

And an SKS using detachable mags (AK ONES!!!) in 7.62 is perfectly legal in CT since it's not banned by name...yet... Again...[rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

Thats where the law gets hazy... I believe the accepted ban is on the actual year/model 47. As the 74 I think is technically different. Also if your weapon has any ONE of the following- flash suppressor, bayonet lug, OR a folding / telescoping stock.

There is currently no ban on any style mag, to my knowledge.

Yes, it's legal, as is the WASR-2, WASR-3, SAR-3, Saiga in .308 or .223 or 12 gauge, etc.

If it's not 7.62x39, it's not an "AK-47 Type," according to the state police.

Yes, it's legal, as is the WASR-2, WASR-3, SAR-3, Saiga in .308 or .223 or 12 gauge, etc.

If it's not 7.62x39, it's not an "AK-47 Type," according to the state police.

I got my into directly from the XO of the SFLU (state police). Nothing was mentioned about caliber. Only looks, function and parts swap/function. I want to know if AK-47 parts would fit in a 74 and still feed, fire and eject the 5.45 round. If that were the case, this it would definitely be banned. The only one "evil" feature allowed, because it accepts detachable mags, is the pistol grip. The "thingy" on the end of the barrel is a muzzle break and not a flash suppressor. If anything, it makes the flash worse. I've had to explain this more than once when called out for having a "flash suppressor". [rolleyes]

I don't know how the law distinguishes muzzle break and flash suppressor (it probably doesn't) however in my book they are the same when it comes to CT law.

That being said, you are asking more of a Firearm related question then a Law question when it comes to hot swapping parts. Please redirect such to the Firearm area. (this is the law section)

I don't know how the law distinguishes muzzle break and flash suppressor (it probably doesn't) however in my book they are the same when it comes to CT law.

That being said, you are asking more of a Firearm related question then a Law question when it comes to hot swapping parts. Please redirect such to the Firearm area. (this is the law section)

Well, who died and made you lord of the dance, Mr. just joined this month? Didn't I ask about the LEGALITY of a 74 if 47 parts could be swapped into it and it still fire the 5.45 round? [rolleyes]

And NO...fail... A muzzle break is NOT a flash suppressor, no matter what your "book" says. If the law wanted to distinguish it from a flash suppressor, then they would have included the term "muzzle break". Don't ya think? I'm not going to take the time to educate you, but they serve COMPLETELY different purposes.

The CSP walk the gun shows EVERY day and inspect EVERY table before they open to the public and continue to patrol during the show with plain clothes officers to make sure nothing "pops up". According the SFLU XO, buying a gun at a CT show is absolutely the safest way to ensure you don't end up with something illegal because it won't be out for sale in the first place! They're pretty cool if an out of state dealer has something illegal. They just make them put in their vehicle and don't prosecute for anything unless it's a repeat offender and, yes, they do keep a list.

Last edited:
I got my into directly from the XO of the SFLU (state police). Nothing was mentioned about caliber. Only looks, function and parts swap/function. I want to know if AK-47 parts would fit in a 74 and still feed, fire and eject the 5.45 round. If that were the case, this it would definitely be banned. The only one "evil" feature allowed, because it accepts detachable mags, is the pistol grip. The "thingy" on the end of the barrel is a muzzle break and not a flash suppressor. If anything, it makes the flash worse. I've had to explain this more than once when called out for having a "flash suppressor". [rolleyes]

I can assure you (even though I've never tried it) that if you put an AK-47 barrel or bolt on an AK-74, it will not function correctly. The parts are not interchangable. The AK-74 is not banned.

I can assure you (even though I've never tried it) that if you put an AK-47 barrel or bolt on an AK-74, it will not function correctly. The parts are not interchangable. The AK-74 is not banned.

Thank you for an appropriate answer. Finally! I'm still going to try "just to see" when I can get my 74 back home to AZ. Parts fit and feeding/extraction only. Don't think I'll actually try firing! [shocked]

Thank you for an appropriate answer. Finally! I'm still going to try "just to see" when I can get my 74 back home to AZ. Parts fit and feeding/extraction only. Don't think I'll actually try firing! [shocked]

Yeah please don't fire it. Not sure why you would even try "just to see".

I expect a 5.45 in a 7.62 chamber/barrel will likely make a mess from the brass being inadequately supported. Even if it didn't, the gas leakage around the bullet would make it pretty certain the the weapon wouldn't cycle.

Yeah please don't fire it. Not sure why you would even try "just to see".

I expect a 5.45 in a 7.62 chamber/barrel will likely make a mess from the brass being inadequately supported. Even if it didn't, the gas leakage around the bullet would make it pretty certain the the weapon wouldn't cycle.

No, I'm talking about seeing if the AK-47 parts will even fit into my AK-74. So, 5.45 round in a 5.45 chamber. Just hand cycle a few if they do fit. Not going to try to actually fire it. I don't care about 5.45 in a 7.62 chamber since I can't even legally have a 7.62 AK in CT anyway. [rolleyes]

Didn't I ask about the LEGALITY of a 74 if 47 parts could be swapped into it and it still fire the 5.45 round? [rolleyes]

And NO...fail... A muzzle break is NOT a flash suppressor, no matter what your "book" says. If the law wanted to distinguish it from a flash suppressor, then they would have included the term "muzzle break". Don't ya think? I'm not going to take the time to educate you, but they serve COMPLETELY different purposes.

I see TWO distinct Questions "Is the AK-74 actually legal in CT???" and "Can AK-47 parts be swapped into it and function correctly?"

And yeah, IF they wanted to distinguish the difference between muzzle break and flash suppressor they would have included the term. Basically if you can screw them on the barrel, their a no no. Since they did not include the term ONE could argue them the same. The law clearly states Colt AR15's are Illegal but, its over looked if its not a sporter model.

Now Just because I joined AFTER you does not mean I was born yesterday, DON'T BLAME ME FOR CONNECTICUT LAWS. They are very vague and if Johny law wanted to F- with you, all's you could do is bend over and take it.

If you don't like it go home.

You sure do make a lot of assumptions. Who said anything about it "screwing on"? You do know you can weld things and make them permanent, right? It's done all the time in CT. Show me the law stating ALL Colt AR-15s are illegal, as you claim. Lots of us shoot 74's in CT and never had a problem with your boyfriend, "Johnny Law". In fact, LEOs have even shot my rifle and liked it. Go home? Believe me, if it weren't for a sweet ass flying job at Sikorsky, I'd be in Arizona or Florida...yesterday!

But, hey...whatever blows your skirt up, dude...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom