is it worth obtaining another caliber?

so i lost my big for a vepr AK in 7.62x39 on gunbroker...these guns keep getting rarer and rarer and i really want a well built AK...the only ones that seem to still be around are the 5.45x39...my question is how abundant is the ammo? is it expensive and is it effective?? i love the power of the 7.62x39 round but im not gonna be able to find one for awhile...any opinions??? is it worth it to get one in 5.45 or should i keep looking?

typeo...thanx for the link...i didnt know what was and wasnt legal to buy in MA...i knew veprs were and i knew they had some of the best receivers out there...now ill start tracking down some of the slr's too...also...i found this on the atlantic firearms page... http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=188

think these are MA legal? atlantic listed them as a great alternative to the vepr

I think the newer ones are stamped receivers. From all the reading I've done it seems that the milled receiver is the way to go. Also the older Arsenals are imported from Bulgaria and seem to be sought after. Newer models are made here IIRC.

I've been looking to acquire a VERR in 7.62x39 myself for some time now.

From what I understand (via the rumor mill at akforum.net), is that there had been a legal dispute between Molot (manufacturer of the VEPR), and Izhmash (holder of the AK-47 patent rights). Izhmash won the lawsuit and has since aquired the Molot factory and production line.

Robinson Armament had been trying to arrange for new shipments, but so far has come up short. Supposedly, new shipments of VEPRs should begin around June (but, we all know how expected delivery dates work). There's also talk of some minor changes, but no details (lighter barrels and a straight cut receiver have been mentioned, but no confirmation).

I would not purchase any AK platform in 5.45x39. The demand abroad for it is low (the Russians are the only ones who have it in their inventory). When you can find it, it's outrageously priced (I was up at Rileys a couple of weeks ago and they had maybe a dozen dog-earred boxes ridiculously priced).

I have no experience with the Atlantic Arms AKs. As long as the muzzle brake
is permanently attached or threads covered over and bayo lug removed it should be MA legal.

This website has several reviews and comments about the various AKs available.

http://www.ak-47.us/gear/AK47_Review.php

Anyhow... FWIW, my current AK is an Bulgarian Arsenal with milled receiver (couldn't be happier with it). I'd like to acquire at least on more AK, but I'm not counting on owning a VEPR anytime soon. What I'd really like to get into is building my own from a stamped receiver and parts kit.

-1 on the 5.45x39 for the same reasons as above.

Try an AK in .223 though. It's kept me happy. And I only need one (big [smile] ) carbine ammo stash.

I don't know how crazy I'd go over needing any particular brand of AK over another brand... It's still an AK. Yes VEPRs might be one of the best but you could buy two romanians for that. (Speaking as someone who's bought both)

Last edited:
I'll go on record here and mention that I think a 5.45x39 is a poor choice.

Biggest problem is ammo. Think 7.62x39 is hard to get? 5.45 is far worse, and has been for at least 2 years now.

I've got 2 Romanian guns, one in 7.62x39 (WASR-10), the other in 7.62x54R (RomAK 3). I f you cand find a dealer that won't hit you too hard on a transfer, consider a RomAK 3. Ammo is fairly cheap, plentiful, and the gun is AWESOME.

Besides, think how you'll feel going to the range with a Sniper Rifle.

I am gonna have to disagree with all above about the 5.45 ak74 being a poor choice. I collect ak and ak variants and have owned all types and all calibers, and to me the 5.45 74 is my favorite right above my saiga 12 and polytech legend underfolder. I have a bulgarian arsenal slr 105r ak74 with Kobra red dot that I have had work done to permanently install the 74 brake. When you install the brake the gun has the recoil and rise of a 22 rimfire incredibly accurate too out shoots some of my ar's easily. As for ammo availibility I see 5.45 enough and I can get shops to order it more me no problem at similar prices to 7.62 if not cheaper some times. I highly recommend the arsenal slr 105's, if you can find one, and would even justify buying a romanian rifle (which I personally would usually never do unless its a Romak 3) in this caliber just as base platform from which to build and refinish a decent 74. All I saying is I have had guys talk trash about the 5.45 round and 74 to my face then I pull out my 74 let them put a few rounds through it and their faces change instantly. on a side note I am looking for a ak 103 if any one wants to get rid of one

i have a romanian CUR-2 thats 5.45, and i love the thing. ive never had a problem with getting any ammo.

Back
Top Bottom