Is a trailer a perminently occupied dwelling? - Shooting in my yard

My back yard is situated such that there's only one tiny 10x10 area at the end of the yard that's 300ft from a dwelling. On one side I have a house that people live in. On the other side is a trailer which I believe does have an address but it isn't lived in full time (if at all). Do I need to count the trailer as a permanently occupied dwelling? Anyone know? I've read RSA 207:3-a so I know what it says but don't know how it pertains to my situation.

Sorry to introduce common sense into this, but unless there's a specific precedent stating otherwise I would say "permanently occupied" means, you know, "permanently occupied"... So, somebody's house is permanently occupied. Somebody's camp wouldn't be.

but that just common sense, so it's probably wrong.

if the trailer is connected to services I believe it would be considered 'permanent' and 'permanently occupied.'

I thought I had once read something about this, and it doesn't have to be occupied at all, but rather the building itself has provisions for being capable of being occupied. I'm still looking though, and could be way off.

Can't you get permission and then its exempt?

Not if nobody lives there! [smile]

Too bad we aren't capable of making logical decisions and you could end up in legal land based on the definition of "permanently occupied dwelling" when the thing isn't even occupied temporarily.

Not if nobody lives there! [smile]

Too bad we aren't capable of making logical decisions and you could end up in legal land based on the definition of "permanently occupied dwelling" when the thing isn't even occupied temporarily.

Go to the town hall and speak with whom ever handles the tax maps. Find the lot in question, get the owners contact information and contact them. It is all public information.

Why all the drama around here with things like this? [rolleyes]

And, if you ask how to find your town hall, you'll be kicked in the nuts! [smile]

Can't you get permission and then its exempt?

Forgiveness / permission... If I'm within the law to shoot without getting permission I'd rather do that (since everyone else in the neighborhood shoots and I'm pretty sure it won't bother anyone) than ask and find the guy doesn't feel comfortable with it.

Forgiveness / permission... If I'm within the law to shoot without getting permission I'd rather do that (since everyone else in the neighborhood shoots and I'm pretty sure it won't bother anyone) than ask and find the guy doesn't feel comfortable with it.

If everyone else in the neighborhood shoots why would it be a problem? It would settle the issue and make the entire (potential) problem moot.

-Mike

If everyone else in the neighborhood shoots why would it be a problem? It would settle the issue and make the entire (potential) problem moot.

-Mike

Is that a serious question? Why would it be a problem? You cannot interject logic when it comes to stuff like this. It shouldn't be a problem but all it takes is one person to make a stink about it for it to be one.

I was under the impression that you could shoot on your own property, even if you are within 300' of a neighboring house, as long as you are not within a compact area, i.e. surrounded on all sides by houses within 300' of each other.

Is this not the case?

[h=3]Section 207:3-a[/h] 207:3-a Prohibition. – It is unlawful for a person to discharge a firearm or to shoot with a bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt is situated. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation if a natural person, or guilty of a misdemeanor if any other person.

It seems to me that you simply need to give yourself permission. Hopefully you're not in a bad mood when you ask yourself.

I have asked two conservation officers about the legality of hunting deer with a gun on one's own property when there are neighboring houses within 300', and the answer both times has been yes, it is legal. I would imagine that it would be pretty hard to hunt deer with a gun, without actually discharging the firearm. I did not ask if it was ok within a compact area, just within 300' of a neighboring house.

I understand the part of 6 buildings, all of which within 300 feet of each other and that you must be 300 feet away from any of them to be out of the compact area. My question would be,
"Any contiguous area containing 6 or more buildings which are used as either part-time or permanent occupied dwelling"
The need for a clear definition of the word "building". This is probably the easy part, in the dictionary.
Also, what the definition of "part time " and "permanent " is?
"Part time dwelling " needs to have a minimum time frame. When does it become permanent occupied dwelling. Both of which relate to dwelling. What does it mean to dwell in a building? These questions probably can be answered in residency laws. I believe that in the past I have read that, if the owner or someone with permission from the owner, walks into said building at least once a year, it can be deemed occupied and therefore be a... dwelling. This is questionable part.
If the building is less/under the time frame for part time dwelling , then "not a compact zone"
If the building is not a dwelling, then "not a compact zone"
I am asking these questions, because where do tool sheds, chicken coops, deer blinds, teenage forts, become building and or dwellings? If you sleep through the night in your toolshed once a year does that make it a part time occupied dwelling? Bottom line would be, when does a building become a building, and what does it take for said building to become a part time occupied dwelling. The building part is first , then you dwell in it. All of this would need to be what NH law definitions are used for building and dwelling. I will do some searching on my own. Good Luck and Thank You, A

A bit of searching and NH rsa 644:13 Compact Zone
and I think it boils down to dwelling definition. You probably can"t win on the building definition, and part time as well. But the dwelling requires the stuff that enables permanent survival, like running water, heat, electricity, sanitation (toilet/bathing), sleeping beds. Even at bare minimal, I do not think a chicken coop/tool shed/ garage/teepee/wigwam, qualifies as a dwelling. I do also believe that a word, like dwelling, has a definition, that must remain the same for all areas of the law. Dwelling can not mean one thing for one part of law and another thing for another part of law. Dwelling means dwelling for both parts of law, firearms and residency . My opinion only. One last thought, where do yurts fit in, I now man who lived year round in a yurt for 6 years at the same time with his family of wife and 3 kids, all the kids where born and raised in the yurt.

Back
Top Bottom