• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Introduction to Low Light Shooting Class - Review

I attended the "Intro to Low Light Shooting" class last night. It was an excellent class, I highly recommend it.

Our instructor James Wise was excellent, very knowledgeable, great personality, knew his stuff.

We started in the classroom where James covered things such as what makes a good tactical flashlight, use of the flashlight when approaching a threat, different ways to hold the light while firing your weapon. James talked about the pros and cons for each flashlight position, really good discussion. After James showed us the techniques we all got to practice each technique with our flashlights and their practice weapons.

Only one negative, there was NO handout from the class. I would have liked to have had some reference material to refer to later, flashlights, techniques etc. I did take some notes, but my handwriting and memory suck.

We then moved to range for the live fire portion. We first starting firing with different light levels, all the way to firing in the complete darkness. We then practiced each of the flashlight techniques. This gave you an excellent idea of what works and what didn't work for you. What I liked during firing portion was that James made us change our targets almost after each string of fire, he talked about "shot/round accountability". If you fired five rounds, where did they go? Also, it was great to see where you were hitting your target, lots of times you are shooting with your strong hand only, the flashlight was in the other, I know I don't always practice shooting that way, it was challenging and loads of fun. Some drills included magazine reloads, in the dark of course. We ended the range portion with some movement firing drills, mag reloads using the flashlight to your advantage. Great experience, as I said lots of fun.

We finished the night back in the classroom, sort of an "after action review". James reiterated you need to practice these skills. James also covered flashlight usage for both shotgun and rifle. All in all great class, I recommend it.

Hey I just want to thank you for the great review! I'm glad you enjoyed the class. Next week I will have a handout put together. If you can PM me your e-mail address I will send it to you. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you back at the range.

-James Wise

Back
Top Bottom