• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

interstate travel with a 22 rifle

I would like to leave a 22 rifle, possibly a breakdown,survival type in my pickup, along with other camping gear as I travel. I live in Ct and would be talking about RI mostly but Ma ,NY and VT/NH as well.
I know laws vary but I wanted to throw the thought out there. I do have a CCP so I don't think Ct is a problem.
Thanks for any advice.

Len, I thought non-residents could possess non-large capacity rifles and shotguns under c.140 s.129C(h)?

Maybe and maybe not. There are some interpretive notes in Chief Glidden's book about this. IANAL, but from that my interpretation would be that if the person was simply traversing the state or heading to/from an event mentioned in those notes, they'd be fine. If they told a MA LEO "I always keep it in the truck", I'd err on the side of caution as some LEOs would likely try to prosecute for illegal possession w/o a MA NR LTC.

It's dicey and I dare say that few LEOs probably know that there is any exemption while in MA for not having a MA license.

Back
Top Bottom