• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting Article on Preppers

Good article. Most portray preeppers as nuts. I like how it talks of a blending of both the hippie and survivalist cultures. I walk past my rows of home canned goods and op seed to go sort my AR mags or reload so it fits.

I've always thought about it but never did anything substantial. We do get bottled water service and we do have some 5 gallon bottles in the basement, but I'm clearly not prepared. My wife is on board and I just ordered the book " "Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family" off of Amazon. We've decided to start getting ready if things should go downhill. One thing we discussed, thanks to this forum, is to not discuss with neighbors or others.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

While open discussion lining out what you have for preps is not a good idea, dont hesitate to bring up recent storms, power outages etc with people as a start. I heard 2 radio commercials today about getting ready from NHEMA. I am sure MA probably has similar ads. Mention those. I look at it as if you can get even 10% of the people to do something, even if it is get an extra flashlight and a fw cans of spaghettios, that is a start. I have gotten probably a dozen folks in the past year involved in prepping. They run the gamut from a weeks worth of stuff to a guy that ordered a whole year of FD goods, a couple ARs and had a woodstove and agennie installed. I find more people open to it if you dont start out talking about EMP, nukes, civil disturbance. Just go with their experiences during the last year involving nature.

Your local Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) has money to spend

I'm thinking about getting involved in my town's Community Emergency Response Team (CERT). Many NH towns are very interested in volunteers for CERT, want to get as many people as possible the certificate from the NH Department of Safety (BEM?), and encourage volunteers to sign up for FEMA courses and other training. The meetings are also a good chance to meet other people and talk about potential disasters with folk who won't think you're crazy for owning a scintillometer.

Not a good choice for the paranoid -- your name and address is sent to FEMA when you join your local CERT, and they might want to draft you for Obama's Citizen's Corps, NH Division.

My wife is on board and I just ordered the book " "Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family" off of Amazon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Outstanding book. I've read and own boatloads of books. I have for a long time been looking for that perfect book to recommend to people who have an interest in being prepared but get overwhelmed by the thought of it. The book focuses on the practicality of being prepared, outlines the everyday hazards and ties many recent events into the discussion. Its one book that makes the notion or prepping palatable for people who originally viewed it as something only for survivalists living in the hills - Great choice

Outstanding book. I've read and own boatloads of books. I have for a long time been looking for that perfect book to recommend to people who have an interest in being prepared but get overwhelmed by the thought of it. The book focuses on the practicality of being prepared, outlines the everyday hazards and ties many recent events into the discussion. Its one book that makes the notion or prepping palatable for people who originally viewed it as something only for survivalists living in the hills - Great choice

I'm happy to hear that. It got outstanding reviews on Amazon and I figured it's a good way to get things going on my end.

This article and the comments section do nothing but reinforce that most people couldn't help themselves through a two day power outage. People have become so pampered and used to everything just conveniently working that we (they) have no concept of the difficulties we may someday face. "Prepper" is still a punchline in common circles. It worries me.

This article and the comments section do nothing but reinforce that most people couldn't help themselves through a two day power outage. People have become so pampered and used to everything just conveniently working that we (they) have no concept of the difficulties we may someday face. "Prepper" is still a punchline in common circles. It worries me.

They're the ones who will be doing the rioting.

Back in Chicago it wasn't that uncommon to lose power for 1-2 days each year.

A two day power outage? I'd call that an average winter, and I'm not very far north at all.

Lots of people woke up this past fall; I have friends as far south as Nashua and Hollis who were out for a week during our "White Halloween", and they survived. Some of them fired up their wood stoves for the first time in years or had a few days of cold showers, but all survived.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being prepared for unforeseeable events, the people who worry me are the ones with a specific date in mind.

That is exactly what I am saying. Many people can't even get through the most minor of inconveniences without assistance, yet look at people who can help themselves as crazy.

A two day power outage? I'd call that an average winter, and I'm not very far north at all.

Lots of people woke up this past fall; I have friends as far south as Nashua and Hollis who were out for a week during our "White Halloween", and they survived. Some of them fired up their wood stoves for the first time in years or had a few days of cold showers, but all survived.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being prepared for unforeseeable events, the people who worry me are the ones with a specific date in mind.

This is a great book for both you and your spouse. It doesnt get into the crazy EMP, Un invasion, meteor scenarios but realistic ones that most of us will face at some point. It is going to be gifted to a couple of friends who are really just getting started.

Received my copy yesterday have not started reading it yet but am very excited to get started. Flipped through it quickly and it looks very good with nice diagrams and charts.

Started reading it and boy am I behind!!! But better late than never.......let's just hope nothing happens while building up supplies. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom