• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Instructing at clubs

Instructors:
I am looking into what local clubs do in terms of letting instructors use their facilities. I'm inquiring what costs and/or limitations, requirements et al for clubs in the Mass area. I'm doing this as a research for Braintree's E-bd for future instructor development. You may answer in the thread or by private message up to and including telling me it's none of my business or deleting this as being inappropriate. Private messages will be kept, as always, in strictest confidence.
Thanks,
Mike

Mike, feel free to talk with me at our next meeting. But here is a bit of info. I did visit some other clubs when I received my NRA Instructor certification and a number of them refuse to allow any instructors to use their clubs.

Sharon F&G - I was told that "we have our one instructor for the club and don't allow anyone else to teach here" when I asked the club president at the time I got my NRA Instructor credentials. My understanding is that they ran one NRA BP course/month using pistol team volunteers with the one certified instructor. All monies went to the club.

Ames R&P - When I was a member they only allowed a couple hand-picked instructors to teach there. There was a huge uproar about one instructor who used the facilities . . . don't think he had permission. No idea of the situation as I left that club ~2006 (before I became an instructor).

Mansfield F&G - Built an instructor range so as not to impact club members shooting. Only BOD approved instructors can teach here . . . must name the club as additional insured and submit a copy of said policy to the BOD, submit copies of your instructor certification (and keep BOD updated on renewed certifications), get approval by having an authorized instructor sit in on a class of an applicant for approval to teach here so that we don't approve some yahoo who teaches a 4 hour course in an hour. We pay the club $10/student to use the clubhouse for training and another $10/student to use the range for training.

Braintree R&P - Although I did submit my credentials recently to Eric and Zoo, I seriously doubt that I'll be doing any teaching here. I love the club but the layout of the ranges, rules and fact that there is no dedicated range for training outdoors makes it impossible to follow the curriculum laid out by NRA and give the students the right experience in the class. NRA BP (new/current version) mandates that we first have students shoot specific paper targets at 10' for a minimum passing grade . . . BR&P recently changed the rules to allow shooting at 15', not the same. Our shooting booths are great, but for training they block the view of the shooters hand/gun so that the instructor can't properly control the situation and/or provide guidance if they are holding the gun wrong. When I teach NRA HFS, I add live-fire to the class and have students shoot .22 pistol/revolver/rifle, 9mm pistols, plus AR-15 and AK-47 . . . can't do that indoors or even on a single range at BR&P, so that is a no-go. NRA PPIH/PPOH (the classes I teach most often) mandates shooting drills repeated at distances of 9', 15' and 21' plus one drill at 3-6', also drills use high and low barricades and one drill has you put the unloaded gun on floor/ground with loaded mag next to it and run ~20' to the gun/load/shoot (to induce some stress) . . . no way to do this at BR&P and even if we could we'd need to do this outdoors (currently disallowed) without taking over numerous shooting positions or calling continuous cease-fires (pissing off members). Before changes in our rules, I did run >50 students thru the Moon Island drills on the short pistol ranges (distances are close enough to use for that training) . . . proud to say that all passed and had scores within a few points of what they did with me . . . that range is perfect for this training but we're only supposed to use the indoor range now. Although I could run my MA Gun Law Seminar at BR&P (no shooting, 6+ hr class only), since I usually only get 1-2 students per date, no way I can afford to pay the club $50 (I only charge $90/student) to use the conference rooms available to us and the old clubhouse is (IMNSHO) too busy and noisy to really teach anyone anything.

If the BOD would like me to attend one of their meetings to discuss any of this, I'll be happy to do so. But they would have to make that request, as I'm not about to impose myself on the BOD uninvited.

Sharon F&G - I was told that "we have our one instructor for the club and don't allow anyone else to teach here" when I asked the club president at the time I got my NRA Instructor credentials. My understanding is that they ran one NRA BP course/month using pistol team volunteers with the one certified instructor. All monies went to the club.

Danvers Fish & Game in Middleton handles things pretty much the same way wrt having one instructor teach a class of 25 (I think it's limited to 25) on a monthly basis. The money goes to the club. OTOH, I have taught many people at the club that prefer not to be part of a large class.

Danvers Fish & Game in Middleton handles things pretty much the same way wrt having one instructor teach a class of 25 (I think it's limited to 25) on a monthly basis. The money goes to the club. OTOH, I have taught many people at the club that prefer not to be part of a large class.

I was actually more interested in teaching my MA Gun Law Seminar there, as they have a separate clubroom upstairs that was only used for meetings and after pistol team matches. Out of the way of members and could have brought revenue into a small club that always struggled financially.

Even teaching the NRA PPIH/PPOH, nobody at that club teaches it and my MA Gun Law Seminar is unique and not available elsewhere, so there would be no competition with what the club was running. They weren't interested.

Hopkinton has historically been reluctant to let local level instructors run programs at the club. The feeling is that the club pays a lot of overhead, so it is more appropriate for the basic level courses to be run by club volunteers for the benefit of the club. Members are welcome to volunteer to participate as instructors in the existing NRA and USPSA class programs.

The club has on occasion allowed outside instructors of the "non-local" variety (for example, Armalite sent in two people to teach a two day AR15 armorer course)

Last edited:
I was actually more interested in teaching my MA Gun Law Seminar there, as they have a separate clubroom upstairs that was only used for meetings and after pistol team matches. Out of the way of members and could have brought revenue into a small club that always struggled financially.

Even teaching the NRA PPIH/PPOH, nobody at that club teaches it and my MA Gun Law Seminar is unique and not available elsewhere, so there would be no competition with what the club was running. They weren't interested.

Have you tried hanson rod and gun as i believe there is nothing like your seminar in place there either.
As for individual instruction I know hanson has a criteria you need to meet to do so. The biggest problem I think Hanson ran into is it seems every retired gun person got there NRA instructor papers and decided to run their "business" at the club. Im not sure but hanson requires a instructor to carry thier own liability insurance and there is a "fee" paid to the club also.... I dont think hanson flat out rents space for instructors other than LEO training days?

its funny the "boards" of clubs decide what the club wants with out any input from the members.

its funny the "boards" of clubs decide what the club wants with out any input from the members.

The boards have to deal with the issues that get generated, not the members. I just stepped down from serving on a club's board for more than 10 years. At one time we had a member bring in outside instructors. With taking over the ranges and making more noise that our neighbors complained about, hosting instructors was just not worth the problems.

Have you tried hanson rod and gun as i believe there is nothing like your seminar in place there either.
As for individual instruction I know hanson has a criteria you need to meet to do so. The biggest problem I think Hanson ran into is it seems every retired gun person got there NRA instructor papers and decided to run their "business" at the club. Im not sure but hanson requires a instructor to carry thier own liability insurance and there is a "fee" paid to the club also.... I dont think hanson flat out rents space for instructors other than LEO training days?

As for liability insurance, any instructor who doesn't have it is a fool. Those that work for clubs believe that the club will cover them, IANAL or insurance broker but I seriously doubt this. I'm sure if someone files a suit, everyone will be named and the "freebee" volunteer instructor will have to hire their own lawyers and pay out whatever it is to make it go away. I've always been curious about clubs that demand "additional insured" on the policy, as if someone slips and falls at a club an instructor is teaching at, it seems to me that the club would bear sole responsibility . . . instructors don't shovel/plow parking areas or maintain a building just because they teach there.

Paying a fee is no big deal as long as it is reasonable vs. what an instructor charges, that's why a "per head" fee is the most reasonable for those that teach small classes.

Hanson is too difficult to get to for teaching on a regular basis, as going East to West and vice versa in Mass is very time consuming (it's not the air-miles) as opposed to North to South due to our lack of good highways. Doing a one-off per club request is something I enjoy doing, as I am for Westford Sportsmens Club (again, 3rd time in 4 years) or if a group of people in an area request it (did that in Southampton back in October). Those are "guest instructor" events and clubs should have some sort of policy on that as well. As of the last rule change, Braintree R&P no longer allows guest instructors (it was a rare event anyway).

As for liability insurance, any instructor who doesn't have it is a fool. Those that work for clubs believe that the club will cover them, IANAL or insurance broker but I seriously doubt this.
My home club's insurance covers officers, directors and "persons acting on behalf of the club". This is why I only teach classes where the fee is paid directly to the club, as that establishes my work was on behalf of the club. I am also covered by my general liability/umbrella policy since it is unpaid volunteer work.

The rules of the game change one you do it professionally.

Back
Top Bottom