• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

INSANE!!

Just alittle high but there will be someone who will pay the asking price. Take a look at the CMP auctions that were for M-1's that were in the wrappers... just make sure you're sitting down.

Joe R>

Sorry, it is way over priced. About $2500 would seem better.

And 1903's and 03-A3's are going about $695 and up at gun shows these days.

I'm into my 1903 for $400 and my 03-A3 for $200.

Yea, it was a pawn shop selling it, no doubt somebody told them they could get big dollars for it not knowing the market. I mean I have seen them with the correct scopes for 2-3K.

Sounds like you did well on your rifles, I think those prices are long gone. Out of the thirteen 03s and A3s I own their is only one that I spent less than $600 for and it's a beat up low numbered springfield CMP gun. Only reason I grabbed it was because it was in a C stock.

03C

Dear Gentlemen,

I am a Retired Marine and amateur collector. I have a 1903 that I have had for many years, it appears to be unusual from what I read. It is a low serial number, 1767xx, S stock type 4, and a SA 7 44 barrel. I am to understand that rebuilds usually did not get through with low serial receivers.

I prefer to shoot my weapons. Is this weapon trade able for a decent 1903 or 1903A3? Or can I sell this weapon for a price that could be used to purchase a good replacement? Barrel, crown, and chamber are pristine.

I bought this many years ago when you could purchase 1903's and Garand's for a couple hundred a piece. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Off the record, what are your opinions on the 1903 failures being related to greasing of rounds and tin rounds? I am inclined to believe that the old rifles are safe, at least a lot safer than active duty nowadays.

Thanks

I can't remember where I saw it but a few days ago I saw a .22 Springfield type that was going for $$$. It looked just like a regular 03 but it was in .22 cal.

Dear Gentlemen,

I am a Retired Marine and amateur collector. I have a 1903 that I have had for many years, it appears to be unusual from what I read. It is a low serial number, 1767xx, S stock type 4, and a SA 7 44 barrel. I am to understand that rebuilds usually did not get through with low serial receivers.

I prefer to shoot my weapons. Is this weapon trade able for a decent 1903 or 1903A3? Or can I sell this weapon for a price that could be used to purchase a good replacement? Barrel, crown, and chamber are pristine.

I bought this many years ago when you could purchase 1903's and Garand's for a couple hundred a piece. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Off the record, what are your opinions on the 1903 failures being related to greasing of rounds and tin rounds? I am inclined to believe that the old rifles are safe, at least a lot safer than active duty nowadays.

Thanks

Welcome,

From what I have come to understand not all of the early springfields were withdrawn from service particularly ones that the Marines used. You may have one that slipped thru the cracks or it may have been rebarreled between the time you came to possess it and the time it left military service. Also I believe that some were shipped to foreign countries. You have got me curious now, I will see if I can find anything out...

I do not see why you could not trade for an A3, Prices for the older springfields are just as much as the A3s, especially if your's is in good shape.

As for the failures, from what I have read the recievers were improperly heat treated to start which made them brittle. Then, the brass for the ammo was very soft and had a higher chance of case failures, so when a case failed the rifle shattered. It is believed that this caused some of the failures ( that comes for Brophy's book)

Even with newer ammo I would not shoot the rifle, it's just not worth the risk. Either keep it as a wall hanger and buy an A3 or Remington 1903, or trade it.....There is so much info on this subject that I could go on and on. but there are many good books on the subject by Bruce Canfield, Brophy, etc.
I think Brophy's book is regarded as one of the best on the 03.

Good luck....hope this helped some
Walter...

Last edited:
Thanks, I will try to get some photos if you want. It looks like I need to start trying to find a new home for the old girl. I have more ammo than my Garand can eat laying around so I need to get a high serial A3.

Back
Top Bottom