• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inland M1 Carbine

Looking for some info on a purchase. I've been looking for a Carbine for a while, including a failed attempt through the CMP during the recent release. I have an opportunity to purchase this rifle and if it's what I think it is I want to snatch it up, but I'm not an expert on the M1 Carbine. It is an Inland and it looks to be in real good shape. The serial number is 4966503. I can get it for $840.00, just looking for a thumbs up or down from you guys. I was told that someone that knows a lot about these went through it and it is all original. Thanks

2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg

It's not "original." It wears a M2 potbelly stock, has the adjustable rear sight, and has a bayonet lug. Typical refurbished carbine. If in decent condition inside, $840 is around average price now-a-days.

Serial number 4.9M is January, 1944.

T

Last edited:
It's not "original." It wears a M2 potbelly stock, has the adjustable rear sight, and has a bayonet lug. Typical refurbished carbine. If in decent condition inside, $840 is around average price now-a-days.

T
Tough choice now. I haven't been able to find one for under $1,200 and am almost ready to buy a reproduction

To my eye that looks nice, but I'm not an M1 expert by any means at all. The stock looks like maybe a replacement, no dings or stampings that I can see on it. My stock has feint maker marks, inspection marks, the serial no, and a rack number on it plus hundreds of dings and gouges. The price seems crazy but I'm not up to speed on todays pricing. I bought mine in 1981 for $100.

M1s are great fun to shoot, light and no recoil. I stopped shooting mine when the left over cheap WW2-Vietnam surplus ammo was no longer available. It used to be almost as cheap to shoot as .22 rimefires and cheap ammo was sold in big bags by weight.

Here are some shots of my inland you can use for comparison. Sorry for my crap photo skills and for the dirt and grunge - that carbines been in the back of the closet for 30+ years.

Inland M1 carbine from 1944. (edit to add; "As carbines were reconditioned, parts such as the magazine catch, rear sight, barrel band without bayonet lug, and stock were upgraded with current standard-issue parts." & "However, very few carbines with bayonet lugs reached the front lines before the end of World War II. By the start of the Korean War, the bayonet lug-equipped M1 was standard issue. It is now rare to find an original M1 carbine without the bayonet lug." from wiki)

Last edited:
When you say original, what do you mean? reproduction or all matching

i dont think Majspud said it was a repro. he just said it's not in original configuration. Frankly even if you bought an M1 from CMP, the only thing they say is that the receiver is the part that denotes the Manufacturer. it can have parts from 5 other manufacturers and they will still sell it. A mixmaster has original parts but not a pristine original all matching rifle. All matching US GI rifles are pretty dang rare and go fro more than $845. Armorers in the army didnt really worry about the parts matching as they (or the depot) made repairs.

Majspud please correct me if i misspoke here.

T

Being that those obvious things are not "original" including the upper handguard I'd bet that it's a mixmaster and without an import mark, probably from one of the CMP releases.
The price probably isn't bad considering they aren't for sale everywhere.

Its not as it left the factory, not all manufactures made all the parts and im sure during war time parts where shuffled from one manufacture to another to get guns out the door.
It looks like a nice gun and you will be hard pressed to find something as good for less

Your not going to find a reproduction KHAR/OA M1 or the new production "inland 1945" for much less unless you buy used. If you just want a M1 carbine to shoot the reproductions are fine.
as much as i like my carbines they are the least shot of my surplus arms.

If you want a carbine USGI snag it?

Third sentence: 'typical rebuilt carbine.' $840 is a decent shooter price; if you want one to plink with, get it.

T

I'll probably buy it. It won't be for collection value, I actually want to shoot it but probably won't use it often. The fact that it isn't all original doesn't bother me. I was ready to give up on finding one for under $1,000 and buy a repo or even a Mini 14, so this is a good find for me. Thanks

I traded two rebuilt carbines two years for an original-but-rear-sight-added IBM. It doesn't get out much. I have two other shooters. I just sold my second best shooter to fund my last K98.

T

I'll probably buy it. It won't be for collection value,Thanks

As Majspud told me once about K98s "they are all collectible" ..... there are no more.....

I bought an M1 for $599 about 3-4 years ago at a LGS (yes it was a good deal at the time). I sold it for $750 a couple years later in 5 minutes in the classifieds. Now we are all saying $840 is an average price.

you will have collector value whether you want it or not. shoot it , enjoy it and watch the value hit $1000 in a couple / 5 years...

- - - Updated - - -

. I just sold my second best shooter to fund my last K98.

T

Really? who bought it ? [wink]

I'll probably buy it. It won't be for collection value, I actually want to shoot it but probably won't use it often. The fact that it isn't all original doesn't bother me. I was ready to give up on finding one for under $1,000 and buy a repo or even a Mini 14, so this is a good find for me. Thanks

you can buy the worst pos USGI carbine and it will still gain value more than a mini14..... the carbine will be more accurate to ( im not a fan of the Mini14 especially at the price point) poked around on the cmp forums and there where only a few carbines with in 4 pages cheapest was a shooter grade with a trashed stock for 750$

$840 is a good value for a shooter grade carbine. If you keep a close eye out, you might be able to find one for less - maybe not though, or it may take a long time.

Most shooter grade carbines you'll come across have replacement stocks, type 3 barrel bands and adjustable rear sights. I would worry more about the rifle functioning, and not having a shot out barrel.

If you want to get into collector carbines with original barrel bands ,rear sights, push button safeties, high wood stocks, etc.. Then $840 isn't going to get you anywhere near one.

If you really want an M-1 Carbine and are not deadset (not to mention wealthy enough) on one in perfect original condition, I would suggest that you buy this one while it's available.

Well I ended up buying it and I'm a happy member now. I think mine is a lot nicer than the one in the link above. I'll field strip and clean it and hopefully get to the range this weekend and run through the box of Aquila that I bought. After that probably will replace all the springs. I always do that with used guns. I see that Wolff springs sells a complete kit. Also will need some mags as it only came with one that is pretty beat up. Not sure how to do that in this state since they are 15 round.

Well I ended up buying it and I'm a happy member now. I think mine is a lot nicer than the one in the link above. I'll field strip and clean it and hopefully get to the range this weekend and run through the box of Aquila that I bought. After that probably will replace all the springs. I always do that with used guns. I see that Wolff springs sells a complete kit. Also will need some mags as it only came with one that is pretty beat up. Not sure how to do that in this state since they are 15 round.

If your rifle was made in 1944 I'm pretty sure you can find prebans...

you can find preban mags... they come up often for sale and are generally not that expensive.

Awesome. Mags are quite plentiful - both 30 rounders and 15 rounders.

1944 inland was using the milled adjustable sights fwiw. considered type II carbine. would have to be late 44 early 45 to be type 3 with bayonet lug from factory 5.5+mil serial range (but by then the m2's were being made too...)

I would have bought it too. I have one already, an Inland '44. Paid $850 3 years ago. Beautiful condition and is great fun to shoot. Extremely accurate!!! I need to find a period correct bandoleer though. Are you a member a Bass River?

I took my 2/62 RIA commercial refurbished 1/43 Inland to the 200 yard range about three weeks ago. Shot 4 magazines; at one point rang the 18" gong 17/17.

T

I would have bought it too. I have one already, an Inland '44. Paid $850 3 years ago. Beautiful condition and is great fun to shoot. Extremely accurate!!! I need to find a period correct bandoleer though. Are you a member a Bass River?

I belong to the Cape Cod Fish and Game Club in Harwich and took the new rifle to the range there this past weekend. I was very pleased with the accuracy. It was much better than I expected. It shot 3-4" high at 25 yards, but the groups were tight. I'll try it at 100 yards and then put a taller front sight on if needed.

Back
Top Bottom