Inexpensive taxidermists?

I'd like to eventally go duck hunting and get one stuffed for a display, but all of the ones I've found are around $350 - $500 for a small duck. Does anyone know of any in the eastern MA area that have good deals?

That is actually the average price for mounting a full body waterfowl. Higher if you want it in flight or some action pose.

Most of the ducks I have put down have been too shot up to have a decent mount. I did have a perfect sprig/pintail that may have died from fright after 6 rounds of steel #2's went off at him. Feathers and skin were perfect. I was considering getting him stuffed him but I couldn't justify the cost.

Try reading up on a few taxidermy books and trying it out. You'll never run out of subjects if you're a good shot.

Like with anything else, if it's something you enjoy doing- it's not an involved process.

From what I understand it's not that bad overall but it does take some time and some parts are pretty delicate.

Not the real deal but...

I'd like to eventally go duck hunting and get one stuffed for a display, ...

Its a lot less $$$ .

Birdmanstudios has the real deal but the cost is way up there.

DIY might be the way to go.

I did have a perfect sprig/pintail that may have died from fright after 6 rounds of steel #2's went off at him.
[laugh2]

DIY might be the way to go, but a buddy of mine caught a NICE trout years age. He decided to get a kit and mount it himself. He spent a lot of time, but it turned out to look like a stuffed sock that a 9 year old tried to paint to look like a fish......

If I've learned anything hunting, I've learned that, inexpensive taxidermist and fast taxiermist are oxymoron's.

If you want a class job you will both wait and PAY for it.

Agree 100%. Taxidermy is an art. I've seen some very nice jobs, and I've seen some horrendous jobs. The good taxidermists are worth whatever they get away cahrging.

I never really "got" the whole stuffed and mounted trophy thing. Not knocking those who do, and I really admire a good taxidermists' work, but just eating the animal is good enough for me. I can't see spending hundreds of $ on mounting it.

that sounds like a decent price-- i would also ask to see some examples of their work...

i have seen some bad mounts-- like a deer that looks like a german shephard for instance.

Back
Top Bottom