Inexpensive bipods

SKS Ray

NES Member
I searched here and found a recomendation for Shooter's Ridge bipods as an alternative to Harris ones. I have a Harris and its great but want to get a few more so I don't have to keep taking it off when I want to use a different rifle with a bipod.
I know there is a Harris knock off out there that I've seen people mention somewhere in WTS or gear posts. Has anyone here found one that works well but doesn't cost as much as the harris ones? Anyone had bad experiences with cheaper models and know what to stay away from? I'm not looking for top quality, just something to use on a few .22 & .17 rifle projects I'm working on.
I'd also like the option of attaching a sling. I know the Harris models say you can still use a sling with them even though they attach to the front sling swivel stud, but I'm not sure what is the best way to attach a sling to it.[thinking]

Same here... I have 6 rifles that I regularly use with a bipod, but I only have 3 bipods to go around.

I recall reading awhile back about a Chinese brand Harris knock-off that was carried by Wal-Mart and worked exceptionally well... but I'll be damned if I can remember the name it was sold under. [thinking]

As much as it pains me to suggest it, you could go with some knock-off popular with the Airsoft crowd. If it's for a .22 or 17 HMR... the
difference in quality and reliability might be negligible.

To attach a sling with the bipod mounted (you need Uncle Mikes style QD sling swivels), slip the pin that would normally go through the hole in the swivel stud, through the holes in the two locking levers of the bipod...

SmallHarrisBipod.jpg

Last edited:
I used both a Shooter's Ridge and a generic no-name (or many named) Made-In-China Harris knock off and here's the deal:

They worked sort of OK (for a while) on a Savage .223. They were not as steady as a Harris, but OK. The same bipod(s) on a .308 and .30-06 were a friggin' nightmare. The added recoil caused them to fall apart quickly - I'm talking within 30 rounds. Those things suck. The one on my Savage started to piss me off shortly thereafter.

Seriously, save your money and get a Harris.

ETA: The one described by LogInName is the one I used. It is a total piece of crap (no offense). Go ahead and try one if you want, but you get what you pay for. The metal on them is weak and shitty ( but they look just like a Harris).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom