IMR 4166 Load data for .223

Picked up a lb of this stuff to do a little testing with, see if it compares to Varget for accuracy in .223.

I don't have any load data available... I can ballpark based on what I can pull from Hodgdon's site, but I was hoping I could get more detailed info if someone has a newer reloading manual w this powder in it.

Specifically interested in 55, 68/69, and 75gr loads.

Last edited:
I didn't want to like this stuff...I figured I was likely buying marketing hype for $31/lb at my LGS.

Initial testing is very promising. Accuracy nodes seem wider than with Varget, and group size seems to be excellent.

I'm not done with load development, but 23.7-23.8gr is shooting very well with a 68gr BTHP.

Hands down more accurate than the results I've seen from CFE223, TAC, and a few other 223 powders.

Varget has long been my preferred powder for 68-77gr bullets, but that looks like its going to change.

Expensive compared to varget. Are your groups that good ?

Depends where you buy it. Lowest I seen was 180$/8# vs 170$ for target.
Varget is still out of stock at many places...

For our current shooting I think what ever your using is capable.
Try testing some of your on hand bullets and powder with the best scope you have and use the
OCW testing method....
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

I paid $159.00 for 8# Varget at Shooters last time I was up there.
If i had known I would have paid you to pick up a few for me!

thats a good price for sure, interesting to know if its still that cheap. I noticed a little spike across the board in powder and primer prices even in bulk.

Expensive compared to varget. Are your groups that good ?

Between 1/3 and 1/2 MOA for 5 shot groups at 200yd.

I paid $159.00 for 8# Varget at Shooters last time I was up there.

That's solid. It's been hit or miss around here, often out of stock.

Shooters has been keeping it around $20/lb if you buy in quantity.

Good to know. If I decide to buy in volume it might be worth the trip. I don't intend on using a ton of this powder, but at near $20/lb I could use it for other applications besides the bolt guns.

These are the first groups with this powder.

This is with new dies that i had set to full length size all the way down to minimum spec for bulk AR ammo.

I also rushed all the groups that day, and didn't really shoot to my full potential. I was a lot less concerned with the quality of the ammo/shooting than i normally am because the brass i was using is at the end of its life, and i have chosen to replace it with Lapua brass which is 1.3% larger in case capacity, so any load data is about to go out the window anyway.

This was simply a preliminary to determine if there was enough potential to continue testing for this application.

I will tighten these up, without a doubt.

23.7 4166.jpg 23.8 4166.jpg

OK, we're down to 1/3 MOA with a bit more to go.

68 BTHP
Lapua Brass (New, not fire formed)
IMR 4166
BR-4
2.265" COL

The charge on top is 23.8, bottom is 23.9. The larger case capacity has moved the OCW up by .1

Of the 12 5-shot groups i shot testing different charge weights and COLs, the 23.8 group was the only one with a called flier, and of course it was one of the best combinations. That said, i only counted the 4 on the top group and excluded the flier, bottom group is the usual 5-shot.

There's a little more consistency to be had when i process the brass (current lengths from Lapua range from 1.747-1.752) and the compression of the charge is causing slight jacket deformation, i think neck sizing only or just bumping the shoulders back .002 will give me the hair more case capacity i need to prevent that from happening.

We're getting there!

4166.jpg

Last edited:
OK, we're down to 1/3 MOA with a bit more to go.

68 BTHP
Lapua Brass (New, not fire formed)
IMR 4166
BR-4
2.265" COL

The charge on top is 23.8, bottom is 23.9. The larger case capacity has moved the OCW up by .1

Of the 12 5-shot groups i shot testing different charge weights and COLs, the 23.8 group was the only one with a called flier, and of course it was one of the best combinations. That said, i only counted the 4 on the top group and excluded the flier, bottom group is the usual 5-shot.

There's a little more consistency to be had when i process the brass (current lengths from Lapua range from 1.747-1.752) and the compression of the charge is causing slight jacket deformation, i think neck sizing only or just bumping the shoulders back .002 will give me the hair more case capacity i need to prevent that from happening.

We're getting there!

View attachment 159189

Nice.... I hope to get some time on the new bull barrel AR. I hope to get to .5 moa consistently anything better will be nice. First run tomorrow.

Nice.... I hope to get some time on the new bull barrel AR. I hope to get to .5 moa consistently anything better will be nice. First run tomorrow.

What bullet are you running? Twist?

For mag length loads in 1:7 twist barrels I've gotten good results from Hornady 75 BTHP and Berger 73s. 77 SMKs are also a great mag length bullet

Back
Top Bottom