• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Improving Skills

Ive had an LTC for a little over 6 years now, and I’ve been shooting for 7. I built a lot of skills the first couple years but then improvements started to get less frequent and much more subtle. For the last twoish years, I’m not sure I’ve improved much at all.

It’s not a fun thing to say, but I feel like a pretty mediocre shot with a pistol and probably pretty poor with a rifle. I’m a safe shooter and know well how all my guns work, but I’d like to try and build my skills.

I’m hoping for a little feedback on just how to keep getting better:

For my pistols: I can get really nice groups if I shoot slow and really focus but if I try and move to the next level and add what I consider intermediate skills (shooting faster, adding a reload, drawing from concealment) things really fall apart. How can I start to mix in additional skills or build on what I know?

For rifles: I’m pretty bad at this point, as in not really having a groups, but all my shots are usually on standard pie plate size targets at 50yards. I’d like to tighten up my groups and like my pistols start to shoot a little faster and add some additional skills like reloads.

I know a lot of responses will be to pay for some professional training, and I’m not opposed to it, but I’m mainly looking for diy at home kinds of drills or things to focus on.

When I first started shooting, I was using a Sig P250 which is a double-action-only pistol. I got it because everywhere I read said that the trigger pull is perfect for beginners. My trigger discipline did improve and I was a good shot even at a moderate rate.

Then I diagnosed with Gun Aquisition Syndrome and started shooting everything under the sun. I focused a lot of rifle since I figured that would be the most useful in a SHTF scenario. However, my pistol skills went down the gutter since I never actively practiced with it.
I went to the range today and brought the P250 to sharpen my skills, and I'm glad I did. A few minor tweaks I've forgotten about made all the difference.

I think the best thing to do is either take a professional class, or create exercises (just like a gym logbook) for every time you go to the range and measure your performance. Luckygunner.com has a few drills on their website. Remember, your shooting at a range is under ideal scenarios: still target, proper stance and grip, no one firing back at you.
Just like with health and fitness, you have to push yourself and play the long term game. Continually raise the bar and youll see improvements before you know it.

It seems to me I have to put in one metric crap ton of work for just a thimbleful of improvement as well.
On the shooting good until you add a draw or reload or something...I've noticed this also. Maybe make sure you get your grip right then have the visual patience to put the sight where it needs to be and keep it there. Lately gripping real hard has been working for me. Like you were trying to squeeze the oil out of it was someone's comment.

If you have a holster with a spare mag carrier, I'm sure at home you can practice your draw and reload as much as you want.
Dry fire practice is something I really suck at staying on top of, and need to do a lot more. I read somewhere that the best shooters might dryfire 10x as much as live fire. Not sure if that’s true but it makes a lot of sense.

My Thoughts...

Learn how to fight your way to your Battle Rifle.
This requires accurate, lethal shooting with your Service/Duty grade pistol.
These folks can get you there: International Defensive Pistol Association

Next, learn how to load, shoot, maintain your Battle rifle.
DEFENSIVE CARBINE
MA Firearm Training Courses Safety AR-15 NRA Tactical

You should consider a Tactical Shotgun class to round out your skills.
DEFENSIVE SHOTGUN
I'm signed up for the April 14 class for the above. I'll let you know how it is...

~Matt

Last edited:
Dry fire practice is something I really suck at staying on top of, and need to do a lot more. I read somewhere that the best shooters might dryfire 10x as much as live fire. Not sure if that’s true but it makes a lot of sense.

Dry firing would be secondary to becoming proficient at drawing and presenting quickly or reloading well if your goal is to get better at those two things. But the point that these things can all be done at home as opposed to having to schlep everything to the range is still valid.

You might consider hobbifying it a bit to provide a pretext for justifying spending time on improvement. If you've got some USPSA or IDPA in your area, you might consider looking into that - even just any practices would be a benefit. Training for PCC - Pistol Caliber Carbine divisions - gives you a good pretext to run and gun with a rifle.

If you usually CCW, draw and three shots on a chest-sized target at 10 yards at speed (so, say, defeat garments, draw from concealed and 3 shots in, say, 2.5 seconds - you can get a shot timer on your cell phone for this) is a perfectly tolerable functional level for self-defense.

If you don't usually carry, and for defensive rifle, at least half the battle is getting to your weapon and defeating your safeties, and finally, if necessary, turning on your accessories (e.g. weapon light). Optimizing those (including getting new and more efficient methods of storage, having a plan for various scenarios, planning with your family, etc) and practicing that particular set of skills until they are habitual are kind of important.

(Also, if you don't usually carry, you probably should consider it: getting something you can carry as a matter of course, having multiple ways you can carry it so your tools are always with you, and also becoming proficient with each of the mechanisms of storage might very well be the best use of your time and money in terms of investment for defensive payoff. I personally use a sig p238 but I would probably recommend and will probably upgrade to a p938. But everybody makes something for that these days: unless you are committed to carrying full sized, tiny and light and very well concealed, with an extra reload or two, seem to be the secret to actually habitually carrying)

If you usually CCW, draw and three shots on a chest-sized target at 10 yards at speed (so, say, defeat garments, draw from concealed and 3 shots in, say, 2.5 seconds - you can get a shot timer on your cell phone for this) is a perfectly tolerable functional level for self-defense.

Are any of these shot timers able to distinguish from your shots and those of others on the line, say, at a public or busy range?

Was in the same boat once. There’s always room for improvements. Unless your Jerry Miculek or John Wick lol.

I would do a idpa meet get some real time shooting practice. Unholstering and shooting in a safe environment is perfect.

Find some like minded friends to go with you. If your in the western ma area. Holyoke revolver club has once a month meet. All run by volunteers.

Laser training cartridges can help w the draw/dry firing, particularly w a double action gun. You can build/develop feel an confidence at home and you’ll be surprised at the effect it has at the range. Dry firing helps, laser cartridges make dry firing more productive.

It seems to me I have to put in one metric crap ton of work for just a thimbleful of improvement as well.
On the shooting good until you add a draw or reload or something...I've noticed this also. Maybe make sure you get your grip right then have the visual patience to put the sight where it needs to be and keep it there. Lately gripping real hard has been working for me. Like you were trying to squeeze the oil out of it was someone's comment.

Ive had an LTC for a little over 6 years now, and I’ve been shooting for 7. I built a lot of skills the first couple years but then improvements started to get less frequent and much more subtle. For the last twoish years, I’m not sure I’ve improved much at all.

It’s not a fun thing to say, but I feel like a pretty mediocre shot with a pistol and probably pretty poor with a rifle. I’m a safe shooter and know well how all my guns work, but I’d like to try and build my skills.

I’m hoping for a little feedback on just how to keep getting better:

For my pistols: I can get really nice groups if I shoot slow and really focus but if I try and move to the next level and add what I consider intermediate skills (shooting faster, adding a reload, drawing from concealment) things really fall apart. How can I start to mix in additional skills or build on what I know?

For rifles: I’m pretty bad at this point, as in not really having a groups, but all my shots are usually on standard pie plate size targets at 50yards. I’d like to tighten up my groups and like my pistols start to shoot a little faster and add some additional skills like reloads.

I know a lot of responses will be to pay for some professional training, and I’m not opposed to it, but I’m mainly looking for diy at home kinds of drills or things to focus on.
Paid Training is a good thing but there is really a lot of info and things you can do to improve.

First and for most "fast" is pretty much a killer right there. You want to be smooth and precise with your actions this turns into quick actions with little to no "thinking" that is where speed comes in to your movements.

When self training set goals that are reasonable. A few examples
you can do basic drills
load 3 mags with 2 shots in each mag and run 2 shots then reload 2 shot reload 2 shots. take your time. the goal is to get through it precisely and gain that "no thought" type of action

Its hard to give instruction with out know your goals.
I know alot of newer pistol shooters who just started going to different pistol matches. Rifles too.

If your looking to shoot rifles better a CMP or NRA highpower clinic is a good way. Often there is rifles and ammo available too.

OCSA in Pembroke should be starting their cmp clinics soon once a month april-nov Match ready M1s and ammo are available for a reasonable few. If your marksmanship does not improve after a few weeks of the clinicss and a little practice on your part you where not listening.

Also dont discredit pellet guns. Its the only rifle practice I get!

Was in the same boat once. There’s always room for improvements. Unless your Jerry Miculek or John Wick lol.

I would do a idpa meet get some real time shooting practice. Unholstering and shooting in a safe environment is perfect.

Find some like minded friends to go with you. If your in the western ma area. Holyoke revolver club has once a month meet. All run by volunteers.
I live 15 minutes from there and I’m likely joining this spring. I heard the rules can be a bit cumbersome though, is that true?

First thing I do if I'm having a little difficulty shooting any rifle or handgun accurately is look at there triggers.
If they are like 10 lbs and are as gritty as a rusty barn door. I research on what can be done to improve them.
Next look at there sights. Fiber optic front sights are nice when I shoot indoors.
Things like Talon grips can help with a slippery grip on a pistol.
There are lots of great videos on proper hand grip when shooting a pistol.
Bring enough ammo to the range to get used to where the trigger breaks and where it's reset point is.
Every pistol grip and trigger is different and you may naturally shoot some pistols better than others.

For a rifle if I want to test it's mechanical accuracy. I always use a front rest and a rear bag.
That will take the shooter error out of the equation.
Using match grade ammo is a must when shooting for smallest groups.
When I want the best group possible or when sighting in a rifle I use the above.
If your eyes aren't what they used to be think about putting an optic on your rifle.

Keeping your firearms clean will help as well. A dirty barrel vs a clean one will impact accuracy.

Last edited:
I live 15 minutes from there and I’m likely joining this spring. I heard the rules can be a bit cumbersome though, is that true?

Cumbersome nawww lol. I would say my only complaint would be scheduling. It’s a busy club so when you find yourself trying to do some weekend shooting the club may have some kind event going on. Everything is really organized so I like that.

You’ll enjoy it every member I’ve met is friendly and helpful.

If you want to get better than you have to take a professional class from someone that can teach you what to do, see what you are doing wrong and get you a plan to improve. Then you need to dryfire, a lot. Like its your job. 30 mins of real dry fire work, no BS screw around with your gun.

If you are not big on taking a class. Post a video of your dry firing and shooting and ask people to critique.
Steve andersons dry fire book is pretty go to give you drills to do
https://www.amazon.com/Refinement-Repetition-Dry-fire-Dramatic-Improvement/dp/1930847769

Another vote for Appleseed to improve rifle skills. Your groups will improve tremendously just over the course of a few hours.

For pistol, shooting IDPA will significantly improve your gun handling skills...and eventually your "defensive" marksmanship. It's pretty common to watch pretty good shooters fall apart when the the timer goes off. Adding stress, confusion, and choice on top of drawing from concealment, use of cover and moving is a good recipe for getting better.

Back
Top Bottom