IDPA WITH A SIGMA?

I want to go check it out this weekend at New Bedford R/G and maybe compete. I have a M&P 40 that I only have 2 mags for but I have a 9mm sigma with 4 mags. The reason I want to use the sigma is I have more mags and ammo is cheaper. The question is can I use the sigma for IDPA?

Sure, any safe serviceable handgun of 9mm or larger caliber will work fine.
More mags is always better.
That being said, a friend of mine shot a match with me a few weeks ago at Independent and he only had two 10-round magazines. We just loaded his mags off the ground and handed them back to him as needed. He wasn't going to win the match, so the extra time was no big deal.

Just do it! You'll meet the nicest people in a sand pit on weekends.

I think this weedends shoot at New Bedford is an IDPA Classifier and that you need to be an IDPA member to shoot Classifiers.

You may shoot one "normal" IDPA match before joining IDPA.

If you are not an IDPA member it wouldn't hurt to go watch a Classifier just to see the safety/skill set you will need to shoot IDPA.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I just got my hat, rulebook, and membership card in the mail the other day JK... should i Hold off on the classifier or should i shoot it to establish a starting point???

How does one become a IDPA member also how many rounds should one bring?---ooglassoo
You can join IDPA online at IDPA.com. A Classifier is 90 rounds, but you’d want to bring extra in case you need to reshoot a stage.

…should i Hold off on the classifier or should i shoot it to establish a starting point???---FhvnLT4A

Shooting an organized match for the first time can be over whelming. But if you’ve shot before then it can’t hurt to show up and shoot (it may be a bit humbling). Just let them know you are new so someone can go over the safety rules and help you through the match. Or better yet contact MAShooter on this forum and ask David what he thinks (He is organized shooting at New Bedford).

Respectfully,

jkelly

How does one become a IDPA member also how many rounds should one bring?

You can also join at a local club and the club gets to keep a couple bucks as a comission. Costs you the same and helps the club out. If you're at New Bedford this Sunday, you can join then. You can print the form out from IDPA and bring it with you all filled out and ready to go. Hope to see you there.

what exactly does a classifier do?
Do I need to go?
I just joined.

The classifier puts you in to competitive classes for your particular firearm(s) that you will compete with. In that way, you are really only competing with people who are using similar equipment and at a similar skill level to you. You are required to be classified at least once per year per class that you will compete in.

For example, I compete with a Ruger P90 in the SSP class and with a Para P14 in the ESP class. I must be classified in each class before I can compete in a match with either pistol. This is very important at the state and regional levels of competition. At the club level, it is up to the Match Director if you can compete in a class that you have not classified in.

There are some finer points on this in the rule book. Please take the time to read the section on "Classifier"!

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

Good shooting!

Regards,

Bob

The classifier is a match. It determines the Classification of the shooter in each DIVISION he competes in.

There are 5 Divisions and each recognizes Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, and Master class. The Novice class is for those unable to make the Marksman level. A sanctioned major match may or may not allow Novice Class shooters to compete.

IDPA lists shooting a classifier each year as a responsibility of each member. You can shoot local matches without being classified as the classifier is not readily available at all times. In order to shoot a Sanctioned match, you must be classified.

Back
Top Bottom