IDPA vs. USPSA, thinking of getting into one or other

hillman

NES Member
I've just read through several threads on here about IDPA and USPSA and am still confused a little. The IDPA website is pretty clear about what IDPA is, but I'm not so clear on USPSA. I am very interested in getting involved in IDPA shooting, but don't really know where to start, or if USPSA would be more to my liking. I really like the practical skills used in IDPA, and the fact that I can use my stock GP 100. I'm not super competitive, I don't have the time to be at the range 3 times a week, but I do enjoy shooting and may even get in to reloading soon.

I am a member at Hopkinton, but I don't see anything about IDPA on the calendar or anywhere else, which is why I am also asking about USPSA, because it seems like they do that there.

Anyone who is involved with IDPA, could you tell me what my next step should be for getting involved, or anyone from Hopkinton maybe could tell me how to get into things there? Also, what is the difference between IDPA and USPSA?

Thank you.

PM Lugnut here on the board. He shoots both and is also quite involved with the IDPA guys who run matches. I am sure others will be along to share their opinions.[wink]

IDPA and USPSA are, in many ways, similar. You use a handgun to engage targets laid out in a course of fire, and the goal is to shoot the targets quickly and accurately. There are penalties for failing to hit a target, and for hitting "no-shoot" or "non-threat" targets. The safety rules are very similar. Your GP100 could be used in USPSA as well as IDPA (USPSA does have a Revolver division). Some key differences include:
- IDPA requires a "concealment" garment, which covers your gun and mag holders. USPSA does not.
- IDPA requires that you shoot from behind cover. USPSA does not.
- IDPA has rules about mag/cylinder changes (basically, if you still have rounds in the mag/cylinder, you can't drop them on the ground). USPSA has no rules regarding dropping mags.
- USPSA tends to have longer courses of fire, both in terms of number of targets and movement distance.

In my opinion, USPSA tends to emphasize the speed aspect, while IDPA emphasizes the "tactical" or "real-world" aspect. It's debatable whether the skills you develop in either sport are actually applicable in real-world situations. At the very least, both will make you more proficient with your handgun, and that's definitely a good thing.

I've just read through several threads on here about IDPA and USPSA and am still confused a little. The IDPA website is pretty clear about what IDPA is, but I'm not so clear on USPSA. I am very interested in getting involved in IDPA shooting, but don't really know where to start, or if USPSA would be more to my liking. I really like the practical skills used in IDPA, and the fact that I can use my stock GP 100. I'm not super competitive, I don't have the time to be at the range 3 times a week, but I do enjoy shooting and may even get in to reloading soon.

I am a member at Hopkinton, but I don't see anything about IDPA on the calendar or anywhere else, which is why I am also asking about USPSA, because it seems like they do that there.

Anyone who is involved with IDPA, could you tell me what my next step should be for getting involved, or anyone from Hopkinton maybe could tell me how to get into things there? Also, what is the difference between IDPA and USPSA?

Thank you.

both are games. Forget about the "tactics training" aspects of either because neither of them are training. However, both will help make you be a better shooter by getting you off the stationary range.

Here are a couple differences. I've only been able to make it out to 2 USPSA matches due to my schedule but have been shooting IDPA fairly regularly for a while. HOpefully I can make some more USPSA matches this season. I like both and accept both as different games. Some people are firmly into one camp or another.

- USPSA presents you with a technical shooting challenge and lets you shoot it the best way you can.
- IDPA presents you with a situation that is supposed to represent a plausible self defense situation. The plausibility of which heavily depends on the quality of the stage design.
- In IDPA there are more rigid rules regarding use of cover and target engagement priority...the stages are also more scripted; you cannot attack a stage as independently as you would in USPSA.
- USPSA stages usually have more targets, higher round counts, and longer distances.
- IDPA has a couple of bullshit rules e.g. "round dumping".
- there is almost always a low/no light stage at IDPA matches at WPRC and HSC. Not sure if this is a regular thing at USPSA matches. But well designed IDPA no light stages are great and most people aren't able to regularly practice that at their home ranges.

Last edited:
Hillman, I also live in Millbury and am a member of Hopkinton. We hold "practical" shooting practice there just about every Wednesday evening. I also shoot and enjoy both sports. Drop me a line some time and I will be happy to show you around.

Welcome.

They are both a lot of fun. Harvard Sportsmen's has regular IDPA and USPSA practices, which are open to the public. The matches are also open to the public.

I like both of them. Pick one and start.

Both are fun action shooting sports. Try both and see what you like best. IMO they are both games, but with different rules... both reward fast and accurate shooting.

Come to the John Kelly Memorial Match next Sunday and try out both disciplines to see what you prefer.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/165541-3rd-Annual-John-Kelly-Practical-Shooting-Match-SUN-7-29-12-Harvard-SC

+1 to Jamie's suggestion.

The only thing I'll add that hasn't already been said by others. Around here in Eastern MA, IDPA matches are on typically on Saturdays and USPSA matches are typically on Sundays. I am usually tied up on Sundays, so I shoot IPDA. [grin]

USPSA is a membership based organization; IDPA is a corporation with customers.

If you doubt that, call IDPA HQ and ask when you get your ballot to vote for the board and president after joining IDPA.

Back
Top Bottom