IDPA holster and magazine legallity

A quick question, would smartcarry be IDPA legal, and can I use a 10 round magazine as my reload? Is it absolutely necessary in IDPA to have two spare magazines or is one enough? I am trying to figureout if I have to buy a new rig.

You will need at least 2 spare magazines.

I don't think smartcarry would be convenient for IDPA.

Last edited:
10 spare mags? Is this IPSC?
1016060914.jpg

I just realized I do have the right stuff for my 226 but I don't like using that gun.

Last edited:
See that little gap between the holster and the belt. That gap would make your holster unacceptable under the new rules. The holster must now be tight against the belt.

Also, the inner/outer belt configuration is not IDPA acceptable.

You will typically need two spare magazines for "long" IDPA course, but of course, you probably want spares in case of malfunction.

The IDPA rules that cover your single-action single-stack would require that you load up the full 8 rounds plus one in the chamber (unless your stuck with 7-round mags). Magazines that extend beyond the grip are generally not allowed, so the 10-round mags would not be acceptable.

A quick question, would smartcarry be IDPA legal, and can I use a 10 round magazine as my reload? Is it absolutely necessary in IDPA to have two spare magazines or is one enough? I am trying to figureout if I have to buy a new rig.

I don't think the 10 rounder would be ok due to the fitting the box requirement. They can have steel plates in IDPA... so carry as many mags as you are allowed. Plates are the leading cause of reloads you didn't plan on. You can get by on 3 mags.

And the SmartCarry is NOT IDPA legal. Something I never understood - if I carry in it on a daily basis, why can't I use it in IDPA, which is supposed to sort of simulate the armed citizen doing a concealed carry?

I know... they're worried about safety. But if I'm willing to carry that way, they should be willing to let me shoot IDPA that way.

Some things that are safe to carry are not safe on a range. For example, a shoulder holster is a reasonable carry option. But on a range, the muzzle is pointing behind the line.

Smartcarry often ends up pointing at you. And you're not the only one taking a risk -- if you did have an AD and were injured, the club and IDPA could end up on the wrong side of a civil suit.

See that little gap between the holster and the belt. That gap would make your holster unacceptable under the new rules. The holster must now be tight against the belt.

Also, the inner/outer belt configuration is not IDPA acceptable.

You will typically need two spare magazines for "long" IDPA course, but of course, you probably want spares in case of malfunction.

By rule, you are allowed ONLY two spare magazines on the belt. Total rounds for a 10 round semi allowed is 31//for SS 1911 25 rounds//for revolver 24 rounds and so on. 2 spare mags plus the initial LAMR mag plus one round to top off to division capacity.

Regards,

Last edited:
No need for a blue gun. Just practice dry -- put your ammunition away (yes, I mean AWAY -- nothing in your pockets or magazines, nothing sitting on the table, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom