IDPA G34 mag release question

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me definitively if a Vicker's extended mag release on a Glock 34 is legal for IDPA? I've heard conflicting information.

Thank you!

I can't tell you definitively. By my reading of the rule book:

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list): (for SSP)

1. Sights may be changed to another conventional notch and post type (see “sights” in glossary for further information).
2. Grips may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration (no weighted grips; see “weighted grips” in glossary for further details).
3. A slip-on grip sock and/or skateboard tape may be used.
4. Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained (no visible external modifications allowed).
5. Reliability work may be done to enhance feeding and ejection.
6. Internal accuracy may be worked to include replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration and original caliber.
7. Plastic plugs may be used to fill the opening behind the magazine well.
8. Custom finishes may be applied.
NOTE: The slide releases and magazine releases that are standard on the Glock 34 and 35 models are available as a factory option on all Glocks available in the USA. Because of this, that type of slide release and magazine release are legal on all Glocks for SSP.

I would say no, it would not be legal for SSP. I would say that it would be legal for ESP:

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list) (for ESP):

1. Sights to another notch and post type (see “sights” in
glossary for further information).
2. Grips (no weighted grips; see “weighted grips” in glossary for further details).
3. Internal accuracy work (includes: replacement of the barrel with one of factory configuration, the use of Accu-Rails, the use of Briley Bushings).
4. Internal reliability work.
5. Checker frontstrap and backstrap.
6. Checker or square and checker trigger guard.
7. Cosmetic checkering/serrating.
8. Extended thumb (may be ambidextrous) and Beavertail grip safeties.
9. Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in diameter or protrude more than .2” out from the frame).
10. Factory installed cone style barrels on pistols with a barrel length of 4.2” or less.
11. Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no heavier than common steel.
12. Hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger pull (includes the use of over travel stop).
13. Beveled magazine well and add-on well extensions.
14. Custom finishes.

In SSP Factory yes, aftermarket no. Ask Dave Sevigney about extended mag releases. Cost him a first place finish at S&W one year. Weight of gun released the mag on a table start and mag went on the floor.

In SSP Factory yes, aftermarket no.

Gee, looking at the pictures on Vicker's tactical, I would have a hard time telling it from the factory extended one.

"Weight of gun released the mag on a table start and mag went on the floor."

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that he pressed down on the gun whilst grabbing it.

My apologies, I did indeed mean for SSP.

From the rulebook indeed is: "NOTE: The slide releases and magazine releases that are standard on the Glock 34 and 35 models are available as a factory option on all Glocks available in the USA. Because of this, that type of slide release and magazine release are legal on all Glocks for SSP."

The factory G34 does indeed come with an extended mag release and the Vicker's is actually a bit shorter than the factory one. So, the question becomes, "Is a non-glock extended mag release legal?" Since the verbiage reads "that type of of slide release and magazine release are legal", I would argue that it is legal, especially given the verbiage on grips "may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration".

Let me ask this instead, has anyone ever had a problem at an IDPA match shooting SSP with a Vicker's mag release?

*EDIT: Your point is well taken about it being difficult to tell the difference. The biggest difference is the lack of painfully stabby edges that are present on the stock G34 release.

Last edited:
Per Rob Ray at IDPA, in a post on the IDPA equipment forum, the Vickers extended mag release (although very similar to the OEM Glock extended mag release) is different enough to bump you out of SSP and into ESP.

That having been said, when I look at pics comparing the 2, I don't think anyone would ever question it. Unless you are a very serious shooter competing at the highest levels where you run the risk of a detailed inspection and DQ at a major match, I wouldn't worry about it if you already have the Vickers.

If you don't already have the Vickers buy the Glock ext mag release, again looking at the pics, I can't imagine there is much of a difference.

As I understand it, the Vickers mag release would be illegal for SSP. It deviates from a "stock" setup.

Since the extended mag release is SO sharp and square, would filing the sharp edges off be permitted for SSP?
Filing would be an external modification. But the rule book reads, "4. Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained (no visible external modifications allowed)."

Does the "external modification" referred to in rule 4 pertain to the action work? Such as a different looking trigger or hammer(where applicable)?

I would say do it since you are already cheating just by owning a 34.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

From the rulebook indeed is: "NOTE: The slide releases and magazine releases that are standard on the Glock 34 and 35 models are available as a factory option on all Glocks available in the USA. Because of this, that type of slide release and magazine release are legal on all Glocks for SSP."

The factory G34 does indeed come with an extended mag release and the Vicker's is actually a bit shorter than the factory one. So, the question becomes, "Is a non-glock extended mag release legal?" Since the verbiage reads "that type of of slide release and magazine release are legal", I would argue that it is legal, especially given the verbiage on grips "may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration"
I would argue that it isn't -- it isn't factory. The verbiage on grips is immaterial -- that relates to grips, not magazine releases.

Per Rob Ray at IDPA, in a post on the IDPA equipment forum, the Vickers extended mag release (although very similar to the OEM Glock extended mag release) is different enough to bump you out of SSP and into ESP.

That having been said, when I look at pics comparing the 2, I don't think anyone would ever question it. Unless you are a very serious shooter competing at the highest levels where you run the risk of a detailed inspection and DQ at a major match, I wouldn't worry about it if you already have the Vickers.

If you don't already have the Vickers buy the Glock ext mag release, again looking at the pics, I can't imagine there is much of a difference.

I'll be watching the SSP Glock guys at the next match! It's not legit for SSP... sign up for ESP and be done with it.

Slappy, since I shoot with you and Rob, I will constantly asking out loud "Is that the Vickers mag release?" at every match regardless if you get one or not. :p

Too late. This thread forced me to actually look at the IDPA rule book. After a careful reading of it I realize that I have not been adhering to the strictest dictates of SSP division. (Not that anyone would notice unless I pointed it out to them) And I'll bet a LARGE group of competitors fall into that same group.

In the case above I'd just say "I didn't file the sharp edges off the mag release to make it more comfortable/ergonomic, it is just a little worn from use............... [grin]

Michael. The range lawyer, not Nazi.

Too late. This thread forced me to actually look at the IDPA rule book. After a careful reading of it I realize that I have not been adhering to the strictest dictates of SSP division. (Not that anyone would notice unless I pointed it out to them) And I'll bet a LARGE group of competitors fall into that same group.

In the case above I'd just say "I didn't file the sharp edges off the mag release to make it more comfortable/ergonomic, it is just a little worn from use............... [grin]

Michael. The range lawyer, not Nazi.

Which one were you breaking? Steel guide rod in a Glock is the most common one I find people had no idea about.

Nope, no extra metal in my G-17.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it says "competitors must use the same capacity magazines thorough out the competition" Page 19.

I use a mix of 10, 16, and 17 round magazines. I never gave it any thought since there is never more than 10 rounds in the magazine at the start signal.

Nope, no extra metal in my G-17.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it says "competitors must use the same capacity magazines thorough out the competition" Page 19.

I use a mix of 10, 16, and 17 round magazines. I never gave it any thought since there is never more than 10 rounds in the magazine at the start signal.

That's not a problem. That rule is for people who have <10 round mags (or < 8 in CDP) to gain an advantage on a stage. -

I wish it were that simple Mike. Reading the rules does NOT make that clear. Is it something they teach you in SO school?

Of course I don't worry about it because I am never going to shoot more than a local match where it is not an issue.

I wish it were that simple Mike. Reading the rules does NOT make that clear. Is it something they teach you in SO school?

Of course I don't worry about it because I am never going to shoot more than a local match where it is not an issue.

I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but the key word is "division capacity". You must always load to division capacity (10 in ESP/SSP, 8 in CDP). If your equipment doesn't allow you to (think 7 round .45 1911 mags) you must load all your mags that way for every stage in a match. Downloading hi-cap mags is fine.

ETA: Ok I had to go look it up:
C 15. Pistols must start from the mechanical condition of
readiness appropriate to their design and be loaded to division
capacity (See Appendix One – Equipment, Firearms for
division capacity explanation). High capacity magazines must
be loaded to full division capacity of the division the contestant
is shooting in.

G. Be loaded to the division capacity of ten (10) rounds in the
magazine plus one (1) round in the chamber. Should division
capacity not be achievable because of lower magazine
capacity, load to maximum mechanical capacity of magazine
plus one (1) round in the chamber. Competitors must use the
same capacity magazines through out the competition
(Example: if you start with a 9 round magazine, you must use
that capacity magazine throughout the match).

Last edited:
That's an interesting question, actually. I got called out on that once with a G26 having a 10 round mag and a couple of 12 round mags. "You need to use the same capacity magazines throughout" came up and I was told I couldn't use the 10 rounder.

That's an interesting question, actually. I got called out on that once with a G26 having a 10 round mag and a couple of 12 round mags. "You need to use the same capacity magazines throughout" came up and I was told I couldn't use the 10 rounder.
That's just silly.

The intent behind the rule is to prevent you from selecting your magazine capacity to game the course of fire. For example, suppose I'm shooting CDP and the course of fire starts with four targets, two shots each, and then you move to a new position to shoot more targets which are currently behind cover.

In that situation, it would be advantageous to me to start with a 7 round magazine, so that I would have 7+1 in the gun. That would allow me to fire all 8 rounds and do a slide like reload on the way to the next targets. The rules don't allow me to pick and choose magazine capacity that way. Either I use all 7 round magazines for the entire match, or all 8 round magazines for the entire match, and they all must be loaded to division capacity.

That is what the rule is trying to do -- not allow you to tailor your mag capacity to the course of fire. But if your gun takes more than 10 rounds, not allowing you to mix 10 round magazines and pre-ban large capacity magazines is just stupid and, I think, not what the rule is intended to do.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with eisenhow and M1911.
That is great as long as you are the guys running the match.

As I said, I won't worry because it is a moot point at all of the local matches. I just show up, shoot, and have fun with a great group of shooters.

Cheers.

I posted a question about this at the IDPA forum. We'll see if we get an official clarification. Unfortunately, some of the IDPA rules are unclear and different SOs interpret them differently, as you have found out firsthand.

Last edited:
As I had received several emails in the last several minutes and realized this is an active discussion, I thought posting here would be easier than answering you individually.

After looking at the Vickers aftermarket release, i can tell you that installing it will place you in ESP or CDP depending on caliber. The part does not conform to factory specifications of either the model 17, 19 etc. or the 34/35's. Some of you haev been hung up on the part where it is "in between the two" and think that is should thus be legal. Not only is it of different length, it is slightly rounded. from the Vickers website, "The black plastic magazine release is molded from the same material as the factory original but is slightly extended and has rounded edges."

Is the difference between factory and the Vickers small, yes but it is different. It's not a factory part, its not factory specs, its is not allowed in SSP.

Robert Ray
IDPA HQ

I kind of read this as

If A isn't possible, then B

G. (A)Be loaded to the division capacity of ten (10) rounds in the
magazine plus one (1) round in the chamber. (B)Should division
capacity not be achievable because of lower magazine
capacity, load to maximum mechanical capacity of magazine
plus one (1) round in the chamber. Competitors must use the
same capacity magazines through out the competition
(Example: if you start with a 9 round magazine, you must use
that capacity magazine throughout the match).

That rule is for people who load mags at less than division capacity. Any SO who would give you trouble for what you are doing needs a slap in the head.

That rule is for people who load mags at less than division capacity. Any SO who would give you trouble for what you are doing needs a slap in the head.

I agree 100%. It happens all the time too. Not an issue.

That is great as long as you are the guys running the match.

As I said, I won't worry because it is a moot point at all of the local matches. I just show up, shoot, and have fun with a great group of shooters.

Cheers.

Come to NER this year... I hear the MD is a decent guy and won't ding you for having different mags. ;)

Back
Top Bottom