Ideas for a carbine in 9mm or .45

I just saw an ad for an m1 carbine lookalike made by Chiappa I think, that takes 9mm Beretta 92FS mags. It looked kind of cool, although a lot of plastic parts. Price was about $550. So midway between HiPoint and Storm.

Do want.
View attachment 122746

I don't think they are available yet

I wish the Canadian company selling that style of stock for the ar15 wasn't charging 300$ .

I would like to see the bolt and recoils springs etc in that tho.
I personal think they would of had a bigger market if they had the mag well big enough to shoot 5.56 and adapters for different pistol cals . It would dominate the pdw market . Being able to go from a intermediate rifle round to a pistol round depending on the need is a nice not covered. I'm trying todo this in the pdw I'm building from scratch .

Last edited:
I wish the Canadian company selling that style of stock for the ar15 wasn't charging 300$ .

I would like to see the bolt and recoils springs etc in that tho.
I personal think they would of had a bigger market if they had the mag well big enough to shoot 5.56 and adapters for different pistol cals . It would dominate the pdw market . Being able to go from a intermediate rifle round to a pistol round depending on the need is a nice not covered. I'm trying todo this in the pdw I'm building from scratch .

A little glimpse of the bolt and carrier here. http://www.sigsauer.com/Catalog/sig-mpx.aspx

If it was made as an upper receiver that fits a standard AR lower, what pistol magazines would it use? Every mag block adapter style pistol caliber conversion suffers from feeding problems. There is not much variance in AR lower magwells, but when you put an adapter block in there, the little bit of tolerance in the magazine, the block, and the lower, along with a blowback operated firearm, can add up to some feeding problems.

They built a AR like receiver from the ground up around the need to feed short pistol rounds. It seems like they did a good job. But I still need one to see for myself.

A little glimpse of the bolt and carrier here. http://www.sigsauer.com/Catalog/sig-mpx.aspx

If it was made as an upper receiver that fits a standard AR lower, what pistol magazines would it use? Every mag block adapter style pistol caliber conversion suffers from feeding problems. There is not much variance in AR lower magwells, but when you put an adapter block in there, the little bit of tolerance in the magazine, the block, and the lower, along with a blowback operated firearm, can add up to some feeding problems.

They built a AR like receiver from the ground up around the need to feed short pistol rounds. It seems like they did a good job. But I still need one to see for myself.

There's a few ways to skin the cat.
Setting the barrels more towards the rear of the receiver. Making the mag well just over size with inserts for the different cals.

The HiPoint is surprisingly fun to shoot. It's unlike other firearms; yes it's made cheaply, but it's reliable and built like a tank, not flimsy. And the trigger is not bad at all, at least as good as the factory CX4 Storm I had actually. I had a CX4 and sold it and now I have a HiPoint 45 caliber carbine. My only gripe is the magazines kind of have sharp edges. But you can use 1911 mags with a slight modification with a screwdriver.

+1. I love my Hi-Point. I have the 9mm TS. If I had to do it again, I'd get the 4595TS, as I now reload .45 and like the power of .45 over 9mm. More pictures of mine at the link in my sig below.
abag4_zpsb44edc9c.jpg

I actually thought my options were limited but I'm finding there's a bunch of choices. There are practical camp guns as well as grease gun knock offs. There are some pretty cheap ones and some pricey ones. I'm not sure about the Sigs but I doubt there giving those away.
I hope to "rent" a Storm as recommended after Christmas and maybe they have something else in the same category I can try. Being able to use glock or baretta magS is a big selling point as well. The search begins....

Preban, Colt, AR, 9mm and don't look back. Read about the reliability. You'll never regret it. It is, without a doubt, the best 9mm rifle. It's the one rifle I have, that I'll never sell. Well, I'll probably never sell the Colt, CRP, AR15 either, but AR, 9mm will be with me on my death bed just in case.

SIG MPX. Anything else is just a toy.

MPX is on the wet dream list. But the gun is in regulatory cluster **** territory. If and when they finally start selling them to civvies, they will be pistol only so MA people are not going to have one, ever. Hopefully they will clear up the BATFE miss-classification of the rifle version and they will be available for people living in Communist controlled territory.

By all accounts, it is the state of the art in sub-guns.

Do you like plasticy guns or guns that look like guns? How much tinfoil do you wear and what percentage of your wardrobe is black? Are you an operator? How big are you? For reference, I am 6'2" and my shirt sleeve is 36" so I am on the large size of "normal." I have owned a few of these.

My recommendation is a Beretta CX4 storm if you don't mind the fact that it looks like a toy. There are also serviceable pistols that use the same magazine. My ADD doesn't let me load more than 10 rounds in a magazine anyway, so I don't care about preban magazines. The gun has little recoil, a modern design that has all the controls is the right place, and is more than accurate enough. It is easy to mount optics.

If you have a little more time to search, the Ruger PC9 is just as good and looks like a normal rifle. Same accuracy, easy to mount optics. Plenty of preban magazines available. More expensive than the Beretta if you can find one. Downfall is that the Ruger P series of pistols suck if you plan to operate from what I have heard, I have not owned a Ruger P series pistol.

The Keltec Sub 2000 is cheaply made and really is a 3/4 size rifle. I hated shooting mine since I was just too big for it. If you are 5' 10" or shorter, the gun will probably fit you well. The quality is poor which surprises me since the Keltec KSG is well made in my opinion. I guess it was designed and built to a low price point. Red Lion makes a lot of cool improvements for it, but some accessories impede the ability to fold the rifle. Mounting an optic is more or less impossible without killing the compact nature of the folded rifle. That being said, in the effective range of 9mm an optic really isn't terribly required anyway. I certainly felt like an operator pulling my Glock 17, 32 round magazine and sub 2000 all out of a laptop bag. Plenty of prebans are available and the glock pistols are some of the finest pistols you can buy.

Never bought a Highpoint, too ugly.

Never bought a Marlin Camp 9 since I haven't seen one for sale.

9mm in an ar-15 platform seems interesting, but the uppers cost as much as the complete rifles listed above. Never was interested in buying one of these.

I am going to buy a Mechtech upper for my Glock, they look pretty interesting and I hope it functions as a full size sub 2000 without folding.

Finally, you can get a 9mm conversion for a Tavor which I am considering, but it looks like a long process to swap over which negates the ability to swap calibers IMO.

Good luck!

Chris

Do you like plasticy guns or guns that look like guns? How much tinfoil do you wear and what percentage of your wardrobe is black? Are you an operator? How big are you? For reference, I am 6'2" and my shirt sleeve is 36" so I am on the large size of "normal." I have owned a few of these.

My recommendation is a Beretta CX4 storm if you don't mind the fact that it looks like a toy. There are also serviceable pistols that use the same magazine. My ADD doesn't let me load more than 10 rounds in a magazine anyway, so I don't care about preban magazines. The gun has little recoil, a modern design that has all the controls is the right place, and is more than accurate enough. It is easy to mount optics.

If you have a little more time to search, the Ruger PC9 is just as good and looks like a normal rifle. Same accuracy, easy to mount optics. Plenty of preban magazines available. More expensive than the Beretta if you can find one. Downfall is that the Ruger P series of pistols suck if you plan to operate from what I have heard, I have not owned a Ruger P series pistol.

The Keltec Sub 2000 is cheaply made and really is a 3/4 size rifle. I hated shooting mine since I was just too big for it. If you are 5' 10" or shorter, the gun will probably fit you well. The quality is poor which surprises me since the Keltec KSG is well made in my opinion. I guess it was designed and built to a low price point. Red Lion makes a lot of cool improvements for it, but some accessories impede the ability to fold the rifle. Mounting an optic is more or less impossible without killing the compact nature of the folded rifle. That being said, in the effective range of 9mm an optic really isn't terribly required anyway. I certainly felt like an operator pulling my Glock 17, 32 round magazine and sub 2000 all out of a laptop bag. Plenty of prebans are available and the glock pistols are some of the finest pistols you can buy.

Never bought a Highpoint, too ugly.

Never bought a Marlin Camp 9 since I haven't seen one for sale.

9mm in an ar-15 platform seems interesting, but the uppers cost as much as the complete rifles listed above. Never was interested in buying one of these.

I am going to buy a Mechtech upper for my Glock, they look pretty interesting and I hope it functions as a full size sub 2000 without folding.

Finally, you can get a 9mm conversion for a Tavor which I am considering, but it looks like a long process to swap over which negates the ability to swap calibers IMO.

Good luck!

Chris

The travor kit cost more then handful of rifles lol .

A ar 9mm upper can be built for cheaper then you can buy .

I am yet to find a CX4 storm owner who isnt pleased.
IMO the only tragedy would be acquiring a CX4 storm that doesnt use 92 mags.....unless theres a good reason to do so.

i kindly disagree about the cx4 looking like a toy. I have heard this said a fair amount but i dont get it.

HiPoint, Ruger, Marlin are all good picks. I'd also add in the lever actions in .38/.357 and .44, like the Henry's or maybe Rossi's.

Don't forget you could also get a Thompson in semi-auto in .45.

If you have a handgun which takes magazines, try to get one which takes the same mags.

Then there's this:
MechTech - Glock

G%20FH%20M16FR%20QRL%20M4%20small.jpg

I am yet to find a CX4 storm owner who isnt pleased.
IMO the only tragedy would be acquiring a CX4 storm that doesnt use 92 mags.....unless theres a good reason to do so.

i kindly disagree about the cx4 looking like a toy. I have heard this said a fair amount but i dont get it.

Regarding the magazine, the toy-like plastic frame[rofl] is the same between the two. There is a thin plastic sleeve and a different magazine catch to swap between the two magazine types.

Chris

Chris, there is a 9mm conversion for the TAVOR. I saw it Saturday at the local gun shop . In stock and everything. $700.00 complete for the conversion kit.

who says ruger p series pistols suck?

who says ruger p series sucks? my ruger p89 has been flawless 20 years old, 5k rounds never a hiccup.
i also have had pc9 and a pc4 . they are excellent carbines. hard to find. but keepers for sure!

The storm is getting the vote right now primarily because of the price and the first hand reviews. I've looked around here and on other sights and the guys that have the storm seem to love them. They do however look a little funky. No opportunity yet to fondle a Storm but they "appear" to be plastic. If I was looking to spend more money it looks like there are some nice firearms in this class out there. The sigs look cool and so do the HKs but i'm betting they are more money. Maybe when I get around to an AR build I will keep pistol cartridge models in mind. I have always liked my mini 14 as well as the 10/22 so maybew the Ruger.. It "looks" like it has the same action as the Mini 14 which has always been very reliable for me. Does anyone know off hand what magazines the Ruger uses? Are the Mags for the Ruger proprietary? I really didn't think that there were that many choices out there. That makes the dicision tougher.
Thanks!

The storm is getting the vote right now primarily because of the price and the first hand reviews. I've looked around here and on other sights and the guys that have the storm seem to love them. They do however look a little funky. No opportunity yet to fondle a Storm but they "appear" to be plastic. If I was looking to spend more money it looks like there are some nice firearms in this class out there. The sigs look cool and so do the HKs but i'm betting they are more money. Maybe when I get around to an AR build I will keep pistol cartridge models in mind. I have always liked my mini 14 as well as the 10/22 so maybew the Ruger.. It "looks" like it has the same action as the Mini 14 which has always been very reliable for me. Does anyone know off hand what magazines the Ruger uses? Are the Mags for the Ruger proprietary? I really didn't think that there were that many choices out there. That makes the dicision tougher.
Thanks!

If you get a Ruger PC9 (which are hard to find) they use old preban ruger pistol mags, so you can find 15 round and other high capacity preban mags
without too much difficulty.

I had a PC9, but the trigger pull was just too weird for me. I should probably have tried to get a good gunsmith to work on it.

My OL also allowed me to pick a gun for my gift from her. She asked me to keep it around $700. I found a Marlin Camp 45 on GB that met both of our criteria. I won the action and received my new 45acp carbine a couple weeks back. Good luck in your quest MoAmmoPlease.

Hey guys!! The ball & chain is going to cover me for a new firearm as my Christmas gift bless her soul. I've got handguns and long guns but lack a carbine in a pistol caliber. I could use some ideas for something reliable and under $1000.00. I would like a detachable magazine but I'm open for all suggestions. What say you? Ideas based on firsthand experience appreciated. I was thinking maybe a Baretta but I'm open minded. Help a guy make an informed decision B4 she changes her mind. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!

I've been checking out Marlin Camp's in 9mm on GB. Have you shot it yet? How do you like it??

My OL also allowed me to pick a gun for my gift from her. She asked me to keep it around $700. I found a Marlin Camp 45 on GB that met both of our criteria. I won the action and received my new 45acp carbine a couple weeks back. Good luck in your quest MoAmmoPlease.

Back
Top Bottom