• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ideal Long range ammuniton.

Signa427

Banned
Im not looking at reloading my own custom ammunition under circumstances that would deliver the ideal results for long range shooting, im just curiouse as to what to look for in long range ammunition. In particular, i was curious about winchester's "Ballistic Silvertip" line of ammo. How would the .338 Ballistic silvertip compare to other long range cartridges?

You need to add some more parameters to your question or let people know what exactly it is you are trying to do.

B

Paper, hunting, plates?

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

If you are serious about long range shooting, then you will reload your own. It's that simple.

This.

And, it's never simple, but most of it boils down to the bullet's ballistic coefficient.

A key requirement is that the bullet stay supersonic the whole way to the target. At 500 yards this is rarely a problem, but at 1,000 yards you need a long, low drag bullet with a B.C. higher than about 0.47. But, to stabilize the long, low drag bullets you need plenty of barrel twist. A 12" twist is usually margnial, but a 10" twist will stabilize all the the most extreme (long) bullets.

The detail posters are looking for: What are you asking of the cartridge for terminal performance? Are you looking for accuracy on paper targets at long range, or are you looking for a kill shot on game at that distance? What size/ toughness of game? It would also be helpful to know how far you are considering "long range"

at 1,000 yards you need a long, low drag bullet with a B.C. higher than about 0.47. But, to stabilize the long, low drag bullets you need plenty of barrel twist. A 12" twist is usually margnial, but a 10" twist will stabilize all the the most extreme (long) bullets.

This information is incomplete and misleading. At 1000 yards you need to be safely supersonic. There are many combinations of BC and MV that will get you there.

Your statement on twist is flat out wrong even if we are talking .30 calibers. A 155 grain Palma bullet gets to 1000 quite easily out of a 14 or 13 twist barrel so long as it leaves right around 3000 fps. A 10" twist is a complete disaster (keyholes) if you are shooting a 6, 6.5, or 7 mm high BC bullet.

BTW, I have a rifle with a 24" 1/12 twist barrel that will get 175 Noslers to 1000 with ease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not looking at reloading my own custom ammunition under circumstances that would deliver the ideal results for long range shooting, im just curiouse as to what to look for in long range ammunition. In particular, i was curious about winchester's "Ballistic Silvertip" line of ammo. How would the .338 Ballistic silvertip compare to other long range cartridges?

Long-range hunting, and long-range target shooting are two totally different things. What works for one is not going to work for the other.

The Winchester Ballistic Silvertip bullet is basically a Nosler Ballistic Tip with a silver plastic insert and some black/silver coating that Winchester puts on there. It's a hunting bullet. It may or may not be accurate in any given rifle, but nobody I know uses them for long-range target shooting.
Hollow point, boat-tail bullets are what you should be looking for (for targets). Hornady A-max bullets also can work well.
The .338 Win Mag by itself is probably one of the better long-range hunting cartridges. It will kill as far as you can accurately shoot it. I put that in bold because in the right hands, it will put down a deer at 1000yds, or completely miss them at 50yds. It's a nasty round to shoot. Don't buy one.
Personally, I think 9 out of 10 hunters shouldn't be shooting at anything over 100yds away.

If you want off-the-shelf long-range target ammo, you need to look at a different caliber. My definition of long range is 400-1000yds. You, the NRA, and others here may have different parameters, but those are mine. Calibers suitable for long-range that I know you can get factory match ammo for are:
.308 Win.
6.5 Creedmore
6.5-284

There are a pile or cartridges that work as well or better than those, but I'm not sure about ammo availability.

Last edited:
Thanks pat, That was a perfect answer to my question. Im looking to get into long range, and was wondering about factory ammo that could double as a hunting cartridge as well as a long range target. Im still intrested in .338 however, but I think ill have to shoot it before i completely give up on it. Thanks for the advice guys.

The fact that very few people shoot any Magnums, and virtually no one shoots a 338 Magnum in competition (aside from some outlaw matches) should tell you something.

Is there anywhere to shoot in MA that's beyond the range of a 223? I've never heard of a range longer than 600.

let me simplify the question, Whats so good about ballistic silvertip ammuntion, and what makes a cartridge ideal for long ranges?

nothing, that just what the box says.

people that shoot at distance reload, almost all reload for what there specific rifle likes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom