IBM M1 carbine - 2ND range report

you can peen it your self, I had the same problem. I also put a dab of blue loctite under the bass. I think someone at one point tried to drift the rear sight on mine the wrong way and loosened up the dove tail. It was a bit loose centered in the dove tail. Carefull restaking and the loctite has held. I was actually surprised how well my carbine shot at 100 yards. My carbine was never 0'd after rebuild and the front sight is to tall. I need to set it on 250 mark to hit the black. 20 shots of carbine.jpg

Here's the sight and base; it can be pushed off with firm pressure.

001a.jpg

MS

Here's the sight and base; it can be pushed off with firm pressure.

001a.jpg

MS

That should be an easy fix with the correct hammer/punch. If you're uneasy about doing it yourself, get in touch with Ron at Stricklands or one of the other smiths in the area that knows older rifles.

Carbines are always a lot of fun to shoot. I picked up an imported 1944 Saginaw and its in great condition. After a good cleaning and inspection it shot really well without any issues. Good luck with yours. Once you get the sight issue taking care of you'll have a nice shooter.

Mike

That should be an easy fix with the correct hammer/punch. If you're uneasy about doing it yourself, get in touch with Ron at Stricklands or one of the other smiths in the area that knows older rifles.

I'll hook up with Ron this week.

MS

Got the rear sight repeened tonight AND an original "Jay Scott" marked 30 round mag. He has several of all sizes at a good price...I might need a few more 15s....

MS

002.jpg

Rear sight re-peened.
Second range report is a disappointment.

40 degrees, cloudy, moderate breeze.
25 meters benched on .5 in MOA target. ALL rounds left NO MATTER WHERE THE REAR SIGHT WAS; either ALL left or ALL right.

015-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

100 meters, standing, no sling; same results. Left.

Ammo is the cheap Tula. I will try a box of Remington, but something's up. My friend served as a control and repeated the shooting; dropped his rounds right into my groups.

MS

Last edited:
Is the rear sight moving when you are adjusting it? Maybe the rear sight is junk. My carbine shoots Tula fine and the ammo groups well. I believe 45 Collectors has the same results with Tula. I agree try some good brass cased ammo and see. I am sure its nothing that cant be fixed.

Do you have a bore scope? If so take a look at the chamber area.

Is the rear sight moving when you are adjusting it? Maybe the rear sight is junk. My carbine shoots Tula fine and the ammo groups well. I believe 45 Collectors has the same results with Tula. I agree try some good brass cased ammo and see. I am sure its nothing that cant be fixed.

Do you have a bore scope? If so take a look at the chamber area.

Rear sight did not drift. My friend was as flummoxed as I was.

Bore is pristine.

MS

Back
Top Bottom