• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I want to start doing IDPA, how to start?

roccoracer

NES Member
As the title says I want to start competing in IDPA matches. I have never competed so I am sure I will suck at first.
What do I need for equipment to get started? How much ammo do you normally to run in a match?
The two pistols I am considering using are my S&W pro series 1911 and or an H&K P30L in 9mm.
How often are the matches and are there any matches in Western Mass? Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As the title says I want to start competing in IDPA matches. I have never competed so I am sure I will suck at first.

don't worry, no one will notice

What do I need for equipment to get started?

you will need a fishing vest with as many patches as you can sew on, at least 5 will have to have the word "tactical" on it.
you will need to show proficiency in using the phrase "dynamic critical situation" in any conversation.

How much ammo do you normally to run in a match?

you will need a 100 rounds, but that includes all matches and practice for the year

Do you roll your own?

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

you will need a fishing vest with as many patches as you can sew on, at least 5 will have to have the word "tactical" on it.
you will need to show proficiency in using the phrase "dynamic critical situation" in any conversation.

you will need a 100 rounds, but that includes all matches and practice for the year

Wow, that was really helpful. [rolleyes]

Oh Mike, go easy on the guy.

Check around at local clubs. Everyone is very welcoming. Start slow and be safe and folks will help you learn.

Mike was going easy!
He was making up for my comment about him making GM. [rofl]

Last edited:
I just started attending practices in Woburn last month, which I've found to be very educational. Perhaps there's a local club near you where there's a team / organized practices?

From what I've gathered, it's not overwhelming to jump in feet-first at a match; just let them know it's your first time.

Matches seem to require 100-150 rounds from what I've seen and heard.

Also, I purchased the Bladetech Revolution Combo pack thru Amazon at the recommendation of another forum member. It has served me well so far!

Where in Woburn? What club?

I just started attending practices in Woburn last month, which I've found to be very educational. Perhaps there's a local club near you where there's a team / organized practices?

From what I've gathered, it's not overwhelming to jump in feet-first at a match; just let them know it's your first time.

Matches seem to require 100-150 rounds from what I've seen and heard.

Also, I purchased the Bladetech Revolution Combo pack thru Amazon at the recommendation of another forum member. It has served me well so far!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I am considering using are my S&W pro series 1911 and or an H&K P30L in 9mm.
How often are the matches and are there any matches in Western Mass?

I use my P30L for IDPA. Depending on what you use they put you in a different division. P30L would be SSP which is Stock Service Pistol and the 1911 would fall under CDP which is Custom Defensive Pistol. Either is fine.

If you are from Western Ma, check out Metrowest Tactical. They run IDPA practices and matches out of Harvard Sportsmen's Club in Harvard, Ma.

Metrowest Tactical

Also, check out the IDPA website for rules and info. You can also search for matches on there.

IDPA

As far as what you need. The basics are that you need a holster. either in or outside waistband is fine. There are some rules about holsters so check out the rules or google around for IDPA compliant holsters. I use a Safariland ALS holster.

You need a double magazine carrier, ideally. And three magazines. And a couple of hundred rounds of ammo for a match.

You also need a concealment garment. As was joked about earlier, you can use a fishing vest or shooters vest, or a light jacket. As long as it fully covers your holster and magazine carrier, it is fine.

Check out some Youtube videos for equipment needs. Two Youtube channels I would recommend are below. Each one has some videos about IDPA equipment and general info. Powerfactor Show has a ton so search the channel for IDPA.

Powerfactor Show

Tactical Priority

So I decided on the HK45 instead of the p30l. So now my choices for the idpa matches would be my sw1911 pro series or the HK45. I also have a M&P .45 full size but I am switching to all hammer fired pistols with safeties. My sw1911 is a 3 inch model.

GM refers to a different game called USPSA, which doesn't incorporate real world gunfighting tactics.

USPSA will get you killed on the street and not even in a gun fight. One day you will be standing on the sidewalk, a car will beep its horn and you will turn and draw your gun and get hit by a bus.... I have seen it happen. All that was left was a pair of cleats and a brightly colored jersey with white spots all over it

USPSA will get you killed on the street and not even in a gun fight. One day you will be standing on the sidewalk, a car will beep its horn and you will turn and draw your gun and get hit by a bus.... I have seen it happen. All that was left was a pair of cleats and a brightly colored jersey with white spots all over it

cleats? was this post delivered to the forum via a delorean with a flux capacitor? it's all about the Speedcross 3s now man, that way you don't slip and fall on your face when some mean stage designer puts a wooden ramp into a course of fire

cleats? was this post delivered to the forum via a delorean with a flux capacitor? it's all about the Speedcross 3s now man, that way you don't slip and fall on your face when some mean stage designer puts a wooden ramp into a course of fire

If you put more than one Rudy reference in a post, you get a letter from their lawyer

Yeah, if it was IDPA...you would have heard the buzzer and ducked behind cover to eat some pie well clear of that bus...with spare pockets in your fishing vest for leftovers, I mean tactical leftovers. USPSA will get you killed man!

Seriously man, we get it-you don't like IDPA. I am betting no one cares and they don't care that you shoot USPSA either. The OP asked an honest question and you and a few others just had to jump in and spew venom. Do you think this made him say "gee I guess I should shoot USPSA?"

Doesn't it get really old after a while? Why waste the energy? Is it an ego thing? Did something happen to you at an IDPA match that offended your sensibilities? I'd like to know, really. It seems absurd not to support shooting sports of all types. So what's up?

Seriously man, we get it-you don't like IDPA. I am betting no one cares and they don't care that you shoot USPSA either. The OP asked an honest question and you and a few others just had to jump in and spew venom. Do you think this made him say "gee I guess I should shoot USPSA?"

Doesn't it get really old after a while? Why waste the energy? Is it an ego thing? Did something happen to you at an IDPA match that offended your sensibilities? I'd like to know, really. It seems absurd not to support shooting sports of all types. So what's up?

I agree, I started this thread so I could get some input of what IDPA is like. I was also hoping to get some insight on what to expect at my first match and what type of gear I need.
So can we keep this thread on topic please?

You are the reason I make fun of IDPA

I agree, I started this thread so I could get some input of what IDPA is like. I was also hoping to get some insight on what to expect at my first match and what type of gear I need.
So can we keep this thread on topic please?

All you need to get started is a centerfire pistol or a revolver in .38 cal minimum. I am assuming you want to go with a pistol so you will need at least 3 magazines, 4 is better. A holster- bladetec of comptac are the most used- and a magazine holder. 508 holsters is a local shooter and he make snore stuff. You will need about 150 rounds for a club match but that varies.

If you don't have a pistol, take a look at the M&P 9mm range kit. It will pretty much have everything you need except for a gun belt and the fourth magazine. You will need to have a trigger job done- it will cost you about $80 at a gunsmith or you can get an Apex drop in kit.

Concealment garment can jus the a long shirt.
Find a practice that is close by and start there. Then try a match.

GM refers to a different game called USPSA, which doesn't incorporate real world gunfighting tactics.

Do you mean real world IDPA gunfighting tactics like never reloading when you a round in your chamber, or are you referring to the real world gunfighting tactic of picking up any dropped magazines that have rounds in them? (Curiously, none of my LE friends report being taught either of these tactics in their training).

Back
Top Bottom