• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I want to begin reloading what do I need?

FLHTC

NES Member
I use to reload years ago but have forgotten it all. I don’t anticipate shooting very high volumes of shells. I was thinking of buying a Dillon press however would a single stage press be better for someone who’s not shooting several hundred rounds weekly? I intend on shooting the following calibers: .38 .357 .44mag and 45ACP. What machine should I purchase and what options should I buy?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I just cranked out 200 rounds yesterday on my Lee 1000 pro .40 S&W and I must say that it's a nice press when everything goes right but what a pain when things don't. like the primer not advancing so the primer hole gets full of powder. AUGH! keep a vacuum cleaner handy.

Yeah, if you are not going to do a whole lot of reloads, single step would be less aggravating. I do that for my 30.06 and while it takes a bit longer, you have no screw ups.

Vacuum cleaner? I would use compressed air instead. I keep a bottle of it on the bench and have used several so far. I agree the Lee presses are a bit of a pain with all the tinkering needed to get them going smoothly.

It would be wise to avoid any powered vacuum cleaner since powder could ignite and wreak havoc with things as you once knew them. Good luck, it is a very satisfying hobby. Welcome and go green, it is well worth it.

I've had good luck with Dillon products. In addition to making good equipment, their customer service and warranty are outstanding. If you're sure you won't be loading any rifle calibers, the square deal might be good. Before you buy anything, get a reloading manual. They offer a lot of information in addition to load data. The Lee and Lyman also include extensive cast bullet information you may find useful in handgun reloading.

If you're only doing light shooting (under 100 rds per week) I'd recommend the RCBS Partner Press. Not sure what they're running these days but it can't be much and you can probably find them used for cheap. Dollars to Donuts the dies will cost you more than the press and scale.

I reloaded a couple hundred rounds a week of 9mm, 10mm and .45ACP on a partner press way back when and while somewhat time consuming, it was trivially easy and mostly idiot-proof, which if you're as mechanically challenged as me is a good ting.

It would be wise to avoid any powered vacuum cleaner since powder could ignite and wreak havoc with things as you once knew them. Good luck, it is a very satisfying hobby. Welcome and go green, it is well worth it.

The REAL fun starts, however, when you suck up some live primers with a vacuum, or so I've been told. [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom