I took the new $250 tactical shotty to the range.

Chokes love to come loose. A good choke wrench is key. Sometimes you have to clean the threads nice and then give them a good crank.
I check mine before each round of trap/skeet, after every box of shells on the sporting clays course, and multiple times a day when I'm in the field hunting. Ive found mine to be loose many times. Yes.....they walk loose every now and then..... even if you use a choke wrench.

Three years ago I was selling Rem "Express" 870s for $275 in poly hardware... plastic trigger parts, sure, but no bad barrels.

At the same time we had "H&R" branded Chinese 870 clones, with all metal trigger parts, for $200 out the door.

What happened that this looked like a deal? I take it the pandemic (and Remington / H&R being temporarily out of service) has boned shotgun prices to the point that a $250 Turkish paperweight was the only alternative to spending 4 bills or more? Or something? I guess you can get a poly-choke pinned and welded on to get back to legal lenth, if you have confidence in what's left of the barrel. Guessing buying a new barrel represents a similar cost to buying a new gun, if it's even an option.

I know we joke about "chinesium" but if you want a cheapo pump shotgun you cannot beat a chicom clone... That or a Savage/Stevens 320, but then you don't get parts compatibility... I have seen more disasters with Turkish-made crap, especially the semis, but as a rule the more stupid tactical shit they bolt on to it, the worse the firearm is underneath. It's a shame because the Turks make some fine higher-end shotguns at higher (but not deal breaking) price points which can be worth owning. The chicoms make a damn decent Remington clone, Winchester clone, etc especially if you go through and give everything a good polish. The Turks CAN do nice guns but often choose not to, since you wind up with a few dozen importer and model names disguising their crappy firearms.

After hunting a few years with a friend shooting the piss out of Turk TriStar O/U's with zero issues and nice patterns, I bought one to scratch the 28 ga itch. For the money, a great gun and there was no need for me to spend a lot of coin on a 28. They won't be $250 (edit- not much more than that), but if TriStar made a tactical at similar or better quality I would not have a problem owning one. Worth checking reviews on the Turks before buying.

After hunting a few years with a friend shooting the piss out of Turk TriStar O/U's with zero issues and nice patterns, I bought one to scratch the 28 ga itch. For the money, a great gun and there was no need for me to spend a lot of coin on a 28. They won't be $250, but if TriStar made a tactical at similar or better quality I would not have a problem owning one. Worth checking reviews on the Turks before buying.

I had a few really amazing Turkish SXS through the shop. Like you said, you have to pay, some are a great deal compared to what's out there and had great fit and finish.

That looks like a classic mud-in-the-end-of-the-barrell ka-boom...... it didn't have a light load/wad stuck or mud obstruction, did it?
or maybe the choke tube unscrewed & was cocked enough to obstruct?

That looks like a classic mud-in-the-end-of-the-barrell ka-boom...... it didn't have a light load/wad stuck or mud obstruction, did it?
or maybe the choke tube unscrewed & was cocked enough to obstruct?
No light load. I was shooting at a splat target and saw the impact..the last round sounded different but you can see why. I agree and think the issue was the choke..

I check mine before each round of trap/skeet, after every box of shells on the sporting clays course, and multiple times a day when I'm in the field hunting. Ive found mine to be loose many times. Yes.....they walk loose every now and then..... even if you use a choke wrench.
If they come loose a lot a wrap of teflon should hold them. Often theres to much oil/grease on them.
I find the paste style teflon works really well also.

After hunting a few years with a friend shooting the piss out of Turk TriStar O/U's with zero issues and nice patterns, I bought one to scratch the 28 ga itch. For the money, a great gun and there was no need for me to spend a lot of coin on a 28. They won't be $250 (edit- not much more than that), but if TriStar made a tactical at similar or better quality I would not have a problem owning one. Worth checking reviews on the Turks before buying.

They do. For the money…..mid-pandemic, No complaints. Cabela’s was selling the shit out of these a year ago.

If they come loose a lot a wrap of teflon should hold them. Often theres to much oil/grease on them.
I find the paste style teflon works really well also.
It doesn't happen often....just something I'm concerned enough about that I think checking every now and then is warranted. My bil blew his prized old remy 1100 up from a loose choke and I just don't want that to happen to me.

Do you mean the white Teflon plumbing tape used for threading pipes?

Hello....Helloooo....Yoooou say thaaaat you would like to have your chinesium barrel replaaaaced, we must be having a baaaaad connection.....?
Peggy's Boss 2a.jpg

It doesn't happen often....just something I'm concerned enough about that I think checking every now and then is warranted. My bil blew his prized old remy 1100 up from a loose choke and I just don't want that to happen to me.

Do you mean the white Teflon plumbing tape used for threading pipes?
Yes , one layer will do.

Three years ago I was selling Rem "Express" 870s for $275 in poly hardware... plastic trigger parts, sure, but no bad barrels.

At the same time we had "H&R" branded Chinese 870 clones, with all metal trigger parts, for $200 out the door.

What happened that this looked like a deal? I take it the pandemic (and Remington / H&R being temporarily out of service) has boned shotgun prices to the point that a $250 Turkish paperweight was the only alternative to spending 4 bills or more? Or something? I guess you can get a poly-choke pinned and welded on to get back to legal lenth, if you have confidence in what's left of the barrel. Guessing buying a new barrel represents a similar cost to buying a new gun, if it's even an option.

I know we joke about "chinesium" but if you want a cheapo pump shotgun you cannot beat a chicom clone... That or a Savage/Stevens 320, but then you don't get parts compatibility... I have seen more disasters with Turkish-made crap, especially the semis, but as a rule the more stupid tactical shit they bolt on to it, the worse the firearm is underneath. It's a shame because the Turks make some fine higher-end shotguns at higher (but not deal breaking) price points which can be worth owning. The chicoms make a damn decent Remington clone, Winchester clone, etc especially if you go through and give everything a good polish. The Turks CAN do nice guns but often choose not to, since you wind up with a few dozen importer and model names disguising their crappy firearms.
The IAC Hawk was the chinese 870 clone most people jerked over, but problem was... it's still just a pump shotgun. Apparently not made/imported anymore, either.

I could have afforded a much better shotgun and own several much better quality. I bought this one to shoot the crap out of it and see if it would break. Well I guess it did. It just didn't take as long as I thought.
Technically, the shotgun didn't break since the barrel is not the gun.

Back
Top Bottom