I need some help on the purchase of a Series 70 in 38 Super

So a friend has for sale an old Series 70, 95% plus condition (the idiot scratch is on it and a few other hairlines, but that's it). It has the ORIGINAL box, and all of the original paperwork... very cool.

Here are my questions;

(1) What do folks think of the 38 Super round?

(2) How does the 38 Super perform in the 1911 platform?

(3) Is it hard to find this ammo / expensive to do so if you do not reload? Pricing?

(4) Is $1,200 a reasonable price for the gun, in Mass?

(5) How common / uncommon is the series 70 chambered in 38 super?

Thanks!

The 38 Super is a great round, however, to reach it's potential you need a gun with a fully supported chamber and load beyond SAAMI specs.

The super is a wonderfully performing round, but ammo is hard to find and expensive if you don't reload. The winning ticket with 38 Super if you want to shoot major power loads is a small rifle primer and a powder such as Hodgdon HS6, IMR 7625 or VV 3N38 (there are other good powders as well) with a jacketed bullet in the 125-135gr range.

Another option is to have the gun rebarreled in 9x19 - particularly if you want to use factory ammo.

A series 70 super, particularly one that has not yet been customized, by
Cols is uncommon, however, there are numerous other series 70 choices (SVI, STI, Para, Springfield, etc.) that are as good (well, some of the brands are) but don't have the horse logo.

Excellent cartridge, but expect to look long and hard to find factory ammo, and to pay if and when you do.

Awesome rounds, its like a long straight 9mm

They perform as well as the 45. They are the same OAL, The only issue is if the gun headspaces on the rim instead of the case mouth

Its like shooting a 9mm. very soft

(3) Is it hard to find this ammo / expensive to do so if you do not reload? Pricing?

not that easy to find.

Very common in USPSA Open class
Couple of manufacturers make single stack 38 super

So a friend has for sale an old Series 70, 95% plus condition (the idiot scratch is on it and a few other hairlines, but that's it). It has the ORIGINAL box, and all of the original paperwork... very cool.

Here are my questions;

(4) Is $1,200 a reasonable price for the gun, in Mass?

Thanks!

Loved the gun, it was a nickel Colt and it was beautiful. I think it is a neat little caliber, but hard to find and expensive.

I also thought that it wasn't as accurate as the 45s that I've shot out of a 70s Colt 1911. But, maybe it was me or that particular gun.

I'd love to own one, but I can't see paying that much for one. Don't get me wrong, I think that 1200 is probably not too crazy for MA. I've never seen one for sale in MA though, so it would be hard to tell. I've seen Gold Cups going from anywhere around 900-1500 in MA.

I think it would be great if your a 1911 collector, but I'd recommend the 9mm and the 45 first, so you can shoot for cheaper than the 38 special. I wouldn't recommend it if it is your only 1911. Gotta get the 45 first.

I think I'm going to pass on this gun... I can't buy yet another 1911 and I know I won't shoot it. If someone else is truly interested in pursuing this, PM me and I will set you up with an intro to the seller.

It's in amazing shape, and has the ORIGINAL box and paperwork.

I have two / one made in 1952 that is NIB...(gold lable) "Colt Automatic Pistol" You'll love the gun & the .38 Super round as well... Jim

PS: My NIB gun has a price tag on it for $59.00 [shocked]

$59? Sold! I'll be up tomorrow for it [wink]

Back
Top Bottom