I love my new Shield 9mm.

Picked this bad boy up last week with some junk steel ammo (dumb purchase) and took it to MFS Indoor range with my brother-in-law last night to give it a solid break in. 150 rounds, no problems. Only issue I saw was afterwards. The end of the barrel looks like it's covered with deposits. Is this typical with this gun? I'm going to clean it tonight to get a better look at it. Below is a RANDOM YouTube Video of some guy with the same issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUam3Gl9WR0

Typical with cheap steel ammo, the gun won't get any more fouled than any other gun with decent ammo.

Enjoy... they're excellent little carry guns, reliable and shootable.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks. I'll post an update later tonight after a thorough cleaning. I've read a couple of reports from others that have cleaned it and noticed that the finish is actually chipping away. Smith & Wesson replaces it in those cases. We'll see!

Awesome, thanks. I'll post an update later tonight after a thorough cleaning. I've read a couple of reports from others that have cleaned it and noticed that the finish is actually chipping away. Smith & Wesson replaces it in those cases. We'll see!

I've never heard that complaint. All guns get holster rash after awhile but I've never seen chipping on a Smith. It's very common on the frame rails of Glocks, but it's only the nickel coating and does not effect function.

Probably just the dirty ammo.

That said, my friend said his Shield would FTF if he didn't clean it religiously. I believe that was one of the reasons why he demoted it as his carry gun.

That said, my friend said his Shield would FTF if he didn't clean it religiously. I believe that was one of the reasons why he demoted it as his carry gun.

Never had a problem with mine and I haven't ever cleaned it. I bought it used. Haven't shot it as much as I want to but shoot it plenty.

I've never put more than 500 rounds through mine in a day, and I clean every time I shoot, so I can't comment on that personally but I've never heard of that issue.

It sounds like he may be over-lubricating and getting lube in the firing pin channel, which turns to gunk after it is fouled.

He should take the slide apart, clean it thoroughly and reassemble with NO lube on the firing pin or in the channel.

If he got froglube or one of the other useless biolubes down in the firing pin hole that could do it also.

Last edited:
Oh, this ammo was dirty as all hell.

SZbugIZ.jpg

Looks like Russian Wolf? I have never shot it.

Cheapest stuff I have shot is CCI blazer aluminum and it runs great. As long as it is reliable, cheap ammo is fine for putting holes in paper.

It's not supposed to be a safe queen. It's a carry/range gun. It's bound to get some dings on it. It adds character. As long as it's reliable that's all that matters. Reliability, reliability, reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same thing happen before I sold my Shield .40 with Federal steel cased ammo. Sometimes you just get a few dirty rounds. I still enjoyed that gun otherwise.

I've never put more than 500 rounds through mine in a day, and I clean every time I shoot, so I can't comment on that personally but I've never heard of that issue.

It sounds like he may be over-lubricating and getting lube in the firing pin channel, which turns to gunk after it is fouled.

He should take the slide apart, clean it thoroughly and reassemble with NO lube on the firing pin or in the channel.

If he got froglube or one of the other useless biolubes down in the firing pin hole that could do it also.

The only thing I know is he uses Ballistol. He hasn't mentioned any issues with his other carry guns (Kimber, Sig, etc.). I don't really ask.

I know many people have no issues with Shields and enjoy them. I had long contemplated getting an M&P but did not end up caring for either the full size or the Shield the times I've tried them out. Different strokes.

The only thing I know is he uses Ballistol. He hasn't mentioned any issues with his other carry guns (Kimber, Sig, etc.). I don't really ask.

I know many people have no issues with Shields and enjoy them. I had long contemplated getting an M&P but did not end up caring for either the full size or the Shield the times I've tried them out. Different strokes.

I agree, each to their own. it just seems strange that the gun won't run dirty.

That's like someone saying their particular glock won't run unless it's clean. Not a normal thing.

Back
Top Bottom