I heart my 1911

I have a few handguns , big bigger and little. They have just been collecting dust for months now. I just carry and shoot my Para.

You know how some people call John Browning a saint ? ... they're right.

DCP_3323.jpg

there are the para nay-sayers, i have my para LTC i carry daily and have NEVER experienced a problem. i field stirp and clean once a week or so to clean the various crap from a daily carry and detail strip ~once a month, all parts still look good. clean it well after shooting, everything is still in great shape.

Fubar that is a pretty sweet 2 tone setup you got there, How much did that run ya?

I have a SA 1911 and was thinking of doing the same exact thing to it.

If you guys were GREEN you could have come to the members section and fought the good fight in the S&W M&P vs S&W 1911debate![smile]

i will be going green soon enough but why? there is no good fight in telling some one that what they like is bad, its disrespectful. its one thing to be concerned with safety, etc but enough is enough. i have my dislike of external extractors for example and some swear by it, but at the end of the day, as simple as the pistol is, does shoot relaibly? is it accurate? is it capable of carrying condition 1 safely? yes to all three and you love your pistol? awesome.

it is one topic to discuss parts, i plan on replacing various internal small parts in my pistol but that is also a very common thing done to all 1911s unless its a custom from wilson combat, then again i have read stories of wilson's failing as well.

the 1911 as great of a design it is, like everything, it does have room to improve. if i could have purchased a colt new in this state (MA), i would have, no doubt about it. as i said before i do not like external extractors on a 1911 (am fine with them in other design, H&K, Sig, etc as there are no other choice) so S&W 1911 were not a choice for me, i didn't like how Auto-Ordnance 1911 shoots and the same goes for Armscor/RIA. Strayer Voigt.....cool but expensive. i'm sure its clear where i am going with this.

my next purchase will be colt, i have always wanted one, its matter and searching at this point, but i wanted to be able to carry faster and the best route all of the above points is a Para and as i stated, no complaints at all, just want to do a small parts overhaul

i will be going green soon enough but why? there is no good fight in telling some one that what they like is bad, its disrespectful. its one thing to be concerned with safety, etc but enough is enough. i have my dislike of external extractors for example and some swear by it, but at the end of the day, as simple as the pistol is, does shoot relaibly? is it accurate? is it capable of carrying condition 1 safely? yes to all three and you love your pistol? awesome.

it is one topic to discuss parts, i plan on replacing various internal small parts in my pistol but that is also a very common thing done to all 1911s unless its a custom from wilson combat, then again i have read stories of wilson's failing as well.

the 1911 as great of a design it is, like everything, it does have room to improve. if i could have purchased a colt new in this state (MA), i would have, no doubt about it. as i said before i do not like external extractors on a 1911 (am fine with them in other design, H&K, Sig, etc as there are no other choice) so S&W 1911 were not a choice for me, i didn't like how Auto-Ordnance 1911 shoots and the same goes for Armscor/RIA. Strayer Voigt.....cool but expensive. i'm sure its clear where i am going with this.

my next purchase will be colt, i have always wanted one, its matter and searching at this point, but i wanted to be able to carry faster and the best route all of the above points is a Para and as i stated, no complaints at all, just want to do a small parts overhaul

[rolleyes]

Doooooooooood, calm down! The comment wasn't bashing your choice in firearms. It was meant to entice you to go green so you could participate in the discussion. Believe me, it's the most expensive 19 bucks you can spend. The benefits are unreal! Now go take a deep breath, have a cold drink, and throw another coat of oil on your beautiful 1911![smile]

Yeah. I understand there are opinions all over the spectrum on 1911's. This one has never broke , always works , and knocks down steel plates pretty damn good for me.

It's not two tone , that's holster wear.

If I go green are you guys gonna still be mean to me ?

wow missing the point, i just paid the $19 and am a NES member now and now that that is not the point....

when i first joined the forum, i got a ton of crap for planning on buying a para then owning one. infact, i still do on this forum. it gets old and i ignore the comments until something relevent shows. there is a difference in have owned one and have had a bad experience and reading about some one else having a bad experience and assuming that you will have the same experience. if you have owned a para and had a bad experience, sorry to hear, i have had nothing but a good experience with mine.

the point i am arriving to is that don't knock what people own, its annoying, it accompolish nothing, and all it takes is one bad experience on this forum where the person with the bad experience takes it personally and goes over to another forum where they express the bad experience, just like when some one reads about a "bad" gun and tells some one as if its first hand experience.

I have had a lot of problems with my Para. I have not gotten rid of it because when it does function I absolutely love it. I have been told by many to just keep putting rounds through it to break it in, use different ammo etc. . I am quite envious you have a reliable 1911, and I am hopeful that my hog will eventually be reliable

i am sorry to hear that your hawg is not up to par. for my break in, i got it home and took it apart, deburred all surfaces, re-greased and re-assembled. i was a bit concerned with the MIM parts so kept a close eye on them the first ~200 rounds but saw no cracking, stress fracture, etc.

with the hawg and for that matter an officer's frame, i have always been concerned with the energy created by the .45 round being fired and the energy traveling through the frame. with an officer's size, its less material and without the added material of a larger frame for dissipation, the firearm must take a bigger shock.

out of curiousity, what malfunctions on your hawg?

I'm not a Para person, but I imagine that a good gunsmith can make any of them extremely reliable. So if you like the gun, but wish it ran smoother, more reliable, etc. why not spend a few bucks and have a good gunsmith fix it for you?

Also true for any other 1911 type gun!

i am sorry to hear that your hawg is not up to par. for my break in, i got it home and took it apart, deburred all surfaces, re-greased and re-assembled. i was a bit concerned with the MIM parts so kept a close eye on them the first ~200 rounds but saw no cracking, stress fracture, etc.

with the hawg and for that matter an officer's frame, i have always been concerned with the energy created by the .45 round being fired and the energy traveling through the frame. with an officer's size, its less material and without the added material of a larger frame for dissipation, the firearm must take a bigger shock.

out of curiousity, what malfunctions on your hawg?

At first it was a few FTF with the last cartridge in the magazine. That seemed to work itself out. Also a few stove pipes. The last time I went out I was stovepiping live rounds. I'm going to change ammo the next time I go out. I stripped it and cleaned the hell out of it. I will probably take it to a gunsmith if I still have issues.

i had the stove pipe when i didn't lube the barrel link enough, once lubed up and worked in, haven't had a problem. the stove pipe was discovered while testing and hand cycling after a rebuild

I'm sorry but crapping on someone for their worthless opinion is my God given Right as an American Citizen! It says so right in the Constitution, article 4 section 3.

Congratulations on going green!

i had the stove pipe when i didn't lube the barrel link enough, once lubed up and worked in, haven't had a problem. the stove pipe was discovered while testing and hand cycling after a rebuild

I have a feeling that the barrel link is the source of the problem. I'm going to polish and lub it up and see what happens

I'm sorry but crapping on someone for their worthless opinion is my God given Right as an American Citizen! It says so right in the Constitution, article 4 section 3.

Congratulations on going green!
Constitution, article 4 section 3.

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

Seems prety clear to me.[wink][laugh]

Constitution, article 4 section 3.

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

Seems prety clear to me.[wink][laugh]

You sayin' I pull stats outta my a$$?

[wink] Made ya look!

Para is Bad ? Hmmm. Maybe I can make mine malfunction. I gotta try harder , I guess. I put between 250 and 500 reloaded rounds through it every Sunday. Going on two years ish by now .. So somewhere between 24000 to 48000 rounds so far, mostly lead 230 rn , maybe a third truncated cone. Random mixed brass , and whatever primers are on the shelf when I get a chance to buy some .... When should I expect trouble ?

Actually , wait : last 2 weeks it started stovepiping on the last round in the mag now & then. I put a few drops of BreakFree in the magazine and worked the follower up & down - Filthier than a ... filthy thing. I have never cleaned the mags ... Ran fine after that.

I would buy an expensive custom 1911 , but I hear they are finicky and troublesome. I watched a video of some guy named Jarret put a thousand rounds through the same gun so fast he could barely hold it 'cause it was so hot. Worked for him , too. I think the 1k thing was in the middle of some kind of really long torture test.

Back
Top Bottom