• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I don't understand...

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
I know we have a few LEO's in here and I have to ask. Why is it if I have my Metallica blasting in my car or truck I will get yelled at? And I have motorcycles that fly by the house and litterally rattle pictures on the walls and wake up my boys who are sleeping. I've never seen any one on a un-muffled bike get ticketed for noise.

And to the bike owners who fly down my residential neighborhood after 9pm with the throtle wide open, do you really think you're cool? Stop by my house as I'm holding my 1 year old son while he's crying because you scared the shit out of him, I want to have a few words with you... [evil]

Boy you struck a chord with me

I used to live in the north end and those SOB babies on their harleys would go roaring by at full throttle all hours of the day and night deliberately trying to make as much noise as possible and then they park them along hanover street so the cops would watch out for them.

So I moved to the country (that being one of the reasons) but live near a street that is a thruway for the country version of the SOB babies. It usually starts about 6 am Saturday morning and goes all weekend.

I'm all for people having a good time, but there is such a thing as disturbing the peace and I also don't understand why the cops look the other way for those creatures.

And bless those bikers among you who have mufflers or throttle down in residential areas

My buddy got a ticket for having the baffles out on his bike. Had to get a new exaust.

My two year old loves to hear them drive by during the day. She's all, "Noise, motcykle." Then she'll clap. She's weird. But I guess that I have to love her... :D

Ask my local "Green Mountain Outlaws" what I think. They took to blasting through the little village I live in. I flipped them off, then called the State Cops and told them that if one of the punks hits a kid, "I'll leave enough residue to prosecute". I think the State Boys told them to go elsewhere.

Funny thing is, I ride. The bike's not too loud, but not BMW quiet, either. And I don't blast through residential areas. That's stupid. Want to play, go to the Gaps (Mountain Gaps). I'm near a really good one, and that's where I "play around".

Nickle said:
Ask my local "Green Mountain Outlaws" what I think. They took to blasting through the little village I live in. I flipped them off, then called the State Cops and told them that if one of the punks hits a kid, "I'll leave enough residue to prosecute". I think the State Boys told them to go elsewhere.

Funny thing is, I ride. The bike's not too loud, but not BMW quiet, either. And I don't blast through residential areas. That's stupid. Want to play, go to the Gaps (Mountain Gaps). I'm near a really good one, and that's where I "play around".

That's all I'm asking, just have a little respect in a resdential area. I blast my stereo on the highway, I turn it down when I'm in an area where it may disturb people. Respect, thats all.

Yea, I have a Jeep, and I know that when the tops down it's louder than when I have the hard top up, or even the soft top up.

But that It's still louder. And yea, to hear it on the interstate, you have to turn it up. But it's back down when I get into town. And for the most part...people don't really want to hear Sports Talk Radio...well maybe if the Sox game is on.

My bike is loud as hell and there is a guy down the street that has a cruser too. Both of us coast down the road so we don't make as much noise. I have twin 2 year olds and I am not going to wake them or any of the other kids on my block up.

I live in Essex County, MA.
The police in my town write quite a few noise citations with no hesitation at all, and they hold up in court, too.

It's a fine line a lot of times. As a rider (I have a metric cruiser), I want to swap out my pipes, air system and re-jet the carbs to get better performance out of the bike (that's why most people change their pipes - not just for the exhaust note, but for the performance). But I have to balance those desires with the note of the pipes (because I don't want to set off car alarms and I like long rides where more vibration = bad) and the decibel restrictions of the state.

I, for one, enjoy loud pipes (up to a point), although the whole "loud pipes save lives" argument never made much logical sense to me. I also know the majority of riders with whom I hang out and who have custom exhausts don't "get on" the throttle in residential areas, especially at odd hours (most of them are parents too, and understand how annoying it can be). Just like anything, a few bad apples, etc. etc.

I get worried when the state starts talking about restricting the decibel output to 80-82db. I have stock Honda pipes on my bike which are absolutely NOT loud and they wouldn't pass that test right now. The goofy Honda Civics with the soup can mufflers are much louder than my bike. Those pickups with the fancy exhaust are significantly louder than my bike. The data center where I work wouldn't pass that test with the AC running. A group of people I ride with did a decibel test at a dealership and pretty much no one would pass these new decibel requirements, even sport-touring bikes that are some of the quietest on the road.

Also (and you guys will get a kick out of this, as its similar to what MA tries to do with anything gun-related from out-of-state), the state wants to start forcing exhaust manufacturers who want to sell parts in MA to start stamping their exhausts with MA-specific decibel level requirements. That's right, change your manufacturing process just for MA. Yet another way for MA to start interfering with interstate commerce.

Anywho, just wanted to bring up some other points to chew over. There's really no defending some of the crazy exhausts that are out there, and the same can be said for many cars and trucks sportin custom exhausts these days. Just so you know, not all of us bikers are out to set off car alarms and scare children (although I do freak out my nieces with my goatee: apparently goodnight kisses are rather scratchy with the crazy goatee, hehe). :)

Back
Top Bottom