I discovered today that cash is useless when the grid goes down

Prepper

NES Member
Today I was in Marshall's in Tewksbury on Route 38; my first time ever in a Marshall's, and I must say it was rather gross, but I desperately needed to find another pair of winter gloves that weren't hideous... I tried all last winter but no one had gloves anywhere. Today, I found the perfect gloves at Marshall's of all places, after finding nothing at all at 4 other stores earlier in the day. There were two pair left, $10 each, so I grabbed both of them. Just as I head towards the register, the power goes out, and they have no backup systems. Everywhere... whole shopping area of Route 38. Someone mentions something about a guy wrapped his car around a telephone pole.

No problem... I got cash! So, I go up to the register in near total darkness to see if I can pay in cash, but they say they can't. But, I got cash. Girl says she can't scan the item. I point out that the price is clearly marked on the tag. Then she points to the register and says it doesn't open without electricity. Crap! (What was whoever designed these things thinking anyway? When I travel to other countries where the power goes out 50% of the time, they can still accept cash during a power outage.)

So, what they were doing was tagging each item and putting a name on them, so that we can come back within 24 hours to complete the purchase. I had mine tagged and I left, although my schedule does not let me return within 24 hours (especially with the snow coming), so I'm going to lose the items.

I wonder how common this is that stores can't accept cash if there's no power? I always figured they could, which is one reason why I always make sure I have a decent amount of cash on me.

Then it was fun getting out of there. Just picture thousands of people exiting dozens of stores all at the same time, getting into cars, and all trying to hit the roads at the same time when all the traffic lights are down. I managed to get out by heading the opposite direction that everyone else was trying to go in.

No major store is going to be able to check you out without power.

This isn't a surprise for most people, right?

I worked at Kmart all through high school and college. When the power went out it was a rush to get everyone out and keep the merchandise in. Its not just about paying for an item, but its also about inventory.

Well I hadn't really given that aspect of it much thought before. Normally the discussion quickly goes to trying to pay for stuff post-SHTF at Walmart using silver bullion. That would be laughable if they can't even accept regular cash. Just imagine how they'd react to something they don't even recognize.

If I owned a store, I'd kind of not want to lose the business and have everyone walk out empty-handed, but that's just me.

BTW, I offered her $5 extra too if she could accept the cash anyway and let me out with them. $5 is how much it would cost for gas to get back there anyway. She said no.

Post-SHTF is not what we're talking about here. Someone decided to ram an electrical pole with his/her fine automobile.

The decision isn't up to the clerk making minimum wage. Marshalls is a national (world-wide?) corporation.

Most registers should be on UPS battery backup systems. I would imagine it's probably more rare to see a register setup without any UPSs. Of course, that would only keep the registers "alive" for 10 to 20 minutes, so if you're not the first, second or third person in line, then you might not be able to purchase your items anyway.

dlarge, Yup I'm aware of that. But, post-SHTF I hope people are willing to reconsider the ways they do things rather than just say "corporate policy, we can't do anything". Challenging times require thinking outside the box.

When I worked in a CVS we would lose power on occassion. We'd break out the calculators to check out the customers already in the store. It was cash only and without fail someone would have to be shown how to calculate tax bu we pulled it off, even though we were scanner based. The registers had a mechanical drawer release. Granted, this was probably 16 years ago and the dependence on scanners wasn't as desperate.

Most registers should be on UPS battery backup systems. I would imagine it's probably more rare to see a register setup without any UPS. Of course, that would only keep the registers "alive" for 10 to 20 minutes, so if you're not the first, second or third person in line, then you might not be able to purchase your items anyway.

It's been a few years since I worked retail.

Nothing (other than refrigeration) runs on battery backup.

Most registers should be on UPS battery backup systems. I would imagine it's probably more rare to see a register setup without any UPSs. Of course, that would only keep the registers "alive" for 10 to 20 minutes, so if you're not the first, second or third person in line, then you might not be able to purchase your items anyway.

These didn't. Although they're not your old fashioned register. Each had a computer screen on it. Maybe they are all tied into a central system in the store too? As an engineer, I think things like this should be designed in a more distributed manner, so that they are more fault tolerant.

dlarge, Yup I'm aware of that. But, post-SHTF I hope people are willing to reconsider the ways they do things rather than just say "corporate policy, we can't do anything". Challenging times require thinking outside the box.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic. Sorry if that's how I come off.

I agree.

These didn't. Although they're not your old fashioned register. Each had a computer screen on it. Maybe they are all tied into a central system in the store too? As an engineer, I think things like this should be designed in a more distributed manner, so that they are more fault tolerant.

Cost analysis.

It's hard to swallow for an engineer. [wink]

I've been saying this for a few years now. Back in the old days(2000 and before) if the system went down, we used calculators, wrote stuff down, and even(gasp!) called in credit card transactions.

Now, when the computers go down, that's it. Most places aren't allowed to ring sales manually, because it would mess up inventory, even though they could keep the tags or write it down.

It's just as much a mindset problem for the sheeple as it is a business structure issue. The machine stops, and so do the people.

I wonder how common this is that stores can't accept cash if there's no power?

As stated virtually all the stores will not even attemp to sell anything and just close down.

On the other hand it's the few Mom & Pop type convience stores / gas stations which might have a back up generator that'll be open and then there will be the IDIOTS who insist on paying with their "emergency money" consisting of hundred and fifty dollar bills. and I can tell you thost IDIOTS get po'd when they're told it's either exact change or small bills only.

Remember the last big ice storm in '08 ?
We witnessed a shoving match and a fistfight in a gas line when some dumbass's insisted on using 100's.

Oh, and during Irene when we lost power, Stop and Shop only had one register running, so clearly it is not standard policy for large companies to have backup power for critical systems, although you'd think they would. Unless, you know, registers aren't critical.

On the other hand it's the few Mom & Pop type convience stores / gas stations which might have a back up generator that'll be open and then there will be the IDIOTS who insist on paying with their "emergency money" consisting of hundred and fifty dollar bills. and I can tell you thost IDIOTS get po'd when they're told it's either exact change or small bills only.
Great points. The small stores are the ones where the person at the register can decide to take cash and stay open even with the power out and no backup. And you got that right: Paying with way too big a bill is like having almost no money at all - the place might not even be able to change it, certainly not for more than one or two customers. Be prepared to be told your $40 purchase is $100, but you can have 30 candy bars to make up the difference.

I really don't know why you are surprised.

I would have offered her $20 bucks to put in her pocket, and just walked out of the store with them. There are no surveillance cameras or anti-theft devices working either. She makes 20 bucks (which is more than her hourly salary) and you get the gloves you want....problem solved.

Oh, but what about Marshall's? Well what about Marshall's? Like all major retailers, they are part of the problem as you describe it. No doubt my answer will offend some of your ethical sensibilities...but that's your problem not mine.

I really don't know why you are surprised.

I would have offered her $20 bucks to put in her pocket, and just walked out of the store with them. There are no surveillance cameras or anti-theft devices working either. She makes 20 bucks (which is more than her hourly salary) and you get the gloves you want....problem solved.

Oh, but what about Marshall's? Well what about Marshall's? Like all major retailers, they are part of the problem as you describe it. No doubt my answer will offend some of your ethical sensibilities...but that's your problem not mine.

Because without those gloves, he's a goner.

I work for a retailer. All our registers work on the back up generator and some of the lighting as well. The crazy thing is none of our refrigeration is backed up, ask me how that was during Irene!?

I was in a Radio Shack (Wilmington) a month or so ago. They had no power. I wanted to buy a battery for my phone. Kid said that he can do cash transactions. He wrote a receipt by hand and made change from the register. I imagine the cash slips got entered later on.

You could have knit some warm gloves is in the time it took to type the thread. LoL

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Cash has no value when the means of exchange does not exist. If the register won't open, and the person behind the counter is not the owner (or the owner is not around)...that's all she wrote.

I ran into this at a Boston hotel's cafe. Giving the waitress a $20 caused her to say, "What do we do with this?" [rolleyes]

Yep, the policy is to get customers out and keep product in, registers wont even open without power. A lot of companies are too cheap to invest in backups that are necessary maybe 5 times a year.

I went to a Sears hardware store during a power outage - people were buying all the stuff you would expect under such a scenario.

The store was operating by flashlight, and the checkout clerks using calculators to figure out the sales. The manager told me that people needed stuff, and it was his job to help his customers.

you had cash, wow. wickedshockahh. the plan is working soon there will be no more money. worldcredit is on its way........hey at least they had what you where looking for.

I work for a retailer. All our registers work on the back up generator and some of the lighting as well. The crazy thing is none of our refrigeration is backed up, ask me how that was during Irene!?

It's cheaper to put an insurance claim in than to have a dedicated generator for the refrigerators, in most cases. Places with thicker margins, like butchers, might have dedicated generators for the refrigerators.

Back
Top Bottom