I built an AK.

To start off, a huge thanks to warwickben for letting borrow the tools, advice, and sanity needed to finish the build.

sPVxCAHl.jpg

She's a 5.45 Ak-74 built from a Bulgy surplus parts kit I ordered off of akbuilder. Most of the parts almost fit out of the bag, and some of the tacticool goodies needed some trimming and fitting. The front sight post is canted, and the bolt wouldn't strip rounds until I made some modifications to my Bulgy surplus magazines. Even with the sight post canted to the left, she still manages to shoot another 6 inches to the left.

But I'm not even mad. The thing was great fun to build, and I've had 0 FTF/FTE issues in the 180 rounds I've put through it so far. It's a blast to shoot, and I'd definitely recommend that you should build one if the idea ever crossed your mind.

So most things are stock with the exceptions of:
Hogue Pistol Grip
Hogue Foregrip
ACE fixed stock
AK builder ACE rear trunnion
TWI Dogleg Dustcover/Mount
Nightbrake Compensator
Tapco Retaining Plate (those shepherd hooks suck)

SFHT5qXl.jpg

MElpfrcl.jpg

6qZMc1rl.jpg

ws9iT01l.jpg

I don't like the looks of the axis pins as far as engagement goes, especially the hammer pin. There is precious little material (only .040) there to support the passengers side of the pin even with full engagement.
What are you using for a receiver? You might want to consider using a couple of Saiga S-12 pins. They are a little longer than the standard AK axis pin.
I'm afraid that not having full support of the pins may give you problems down the road.

I don't like the looks of the axis pins as far as engagement goes, especially the hammer pin. There is precious little material (only .040) there to support the passengers side of the pin even with full engagement.
What are you using for a receiver? You might want to consider using a couple of Saiga S-12 pins. They are a little longer than the standard AK axis pin.
I'm afraid that not having full support of the pins may give you problems down the road.

I didn't really give him a hand help building it per say. I just leant my tools and gave him a few tips. Mainly more vodka and hammer lol .
I got to check the rifle out when he dropped the tools off. Those pins are basically stuck in there. I think the reason they look short is there not fully seated . I think the holes need a reamer ran through them.

With a little hard work you can have one too!

i'm not very mechanically inclined.
Ben had to help me with my AR build. I think i put the gas tube on incorrectly. Upside down? I don't know, but he fixed that and installed my free float hand guard.
Ben, build me an AK :)

i'm not very mechanically inclined.
Ben had to help me with my AR build. I think i put the gas tube on incorrectly. Upside down? I don't know, but he fixed that and installed my free float hand guard.
Ben, build me an AK :)

Up side down .
Buy a parts kit with populated barrel and don't be like me and buy a ak variant no one makes barrels for .

do it.

OR you can dimple a piece of bar stock and then press the rivets with that. support the rifle in the press, give it a squishy squish. for the rest of them the bolt cutter adapter works fantastic.

I got the bolt cutter tool.
And trigger guard tool.
I'm getting the toth barrel press tool (threaded rods) also sections of tube to press the stuff on the barrel.

When I get home today I'm gonna see if I can make a plate and use the trigger guard tool. For the long ones Or maybe just make plates for a vice.

Started off buying them for the psl since I didn't really know any one. Now I want to make a ak45acp and try to get a Russian parts kit.

Back
Top Bottom