I am such a sucker for S&W magnum snubs

pj150

NES Member
I am such a sucker for magnum snubs. One is for sale in the classifieds and the other- well long story with S&W service center. Anyway that story is for another time. I just got the 66-2 back from an 8 month sentence at the S&W facility in Springfield. Hopefully back and rehabilitated :)

Here's some photos of an older model 66-2 and the newest 66-7 K frame both with the short 2.5" bbl. I have other snub models with other bbl lengths but I like these aesthetically the best. I'll probably put up another post with some Colt magnum snubs as well.

Can you see the differences between the two pistols? There's at least 12 subtle and not so subtle differences.

Sorry for the bad lighting.

IMG_0280_zps298cc799.jpg

IMG_0281_zps3630de18.jpg

IMG_0284_zps5224029d.jpg

IMG_0285_zpsae5a558c.jpg

IMG_0286_zpsd1b7ca67.jpg

IMG_0287_zps80b57886.jpg

IMG_0288_zpsa36bfc3c.jpg

Diff era. Lock/ prelock
S&W logo diff
Rounded area in the grip frame on lock gun
Spring pre load screw diff
Blued hammer & trigger Vs not
Black front sight ramp Vs not
Pinned Vs non pinned front sight
Cylinder lever diff
Cylinder rest diff
Diff style engraving on barrels
Two detent pins for the extracting rod on pre lock vs one
Grooved vs relief machined on grips blackstrap
Reassessed crown on non prelock barrels muzzle.

Is that enough? There's probably more. My eyes hurt. [laugh]

i like that i've been reading enough about these to pick off pretty much every change pictured, and know that there are some that you can't see in the picture but i'm sure are there.

great pieces. it makes me kick myself for not grabbing the 66 snub i saw a few months back

Do I win my choice if I name all the difference s? I see eleven thus far. They are both beauties. I have been going back and forth just drooling. I think a 66-7 is my next purchase....what are the grips on the -2?

Back
Top Bottom