I am so angry right now

On my way into the woods this afternoon somehow 2 arrows dropped out of my POS quiver. I noticed when i got into my stand but figured it wasn't worth getting back down since I had no idea where they fell. Well around 3:45 a nice 6 pointer comes rolling in. I stand up and watch him do some scrapping and pee'ing. Hes a good distance away so I draw, let him come in a bit, line up my bottom pin and let it fly. Arrows shoots under his belly by inches. The buck takes about 10 steps and stops looking around like WTF was that. As I renotch up he walks around the back of my stand but is still a good distance and stops. Well my backpack is on a hook right in the way so I'm trying to sight in and looking back and forth between my sights and bag to make sure I'm going to clear it. Bottom pin again on him and let it fly. LOW AGAIN. Look down at my quiver and F-ING EMPTY. I'm soooooo pissed - I mean COME ON!!!! He does another WTF and walks around for a good couple minutes while i'm just watching him with nothing but my pocket knife to throw at him. He came within 20 or so yards of my stand and by then he was completely down wind of me. Well he must have picked up my scent as he jumped and ran away. I waited for a while and got down to look for the arrows.

Get this - The best part of the story is he ran right over the 2 arrows that fell!!!!!! They weren't more than 50 yards from my stand. Tomorrow I'm going in with a backpack full - and going to wait a bit longer before I shoot. Soooo angry.

Better spend some time at the target too... [smile]

Did you misjudge the yardage or did you get excited and peek?

Good luck tomorrow

I find my limiting factor with the bow is trying to judge the distance to the target. From my fixed tree stand I have measured out but if I am on a climber or walking then I dont always know. I should break down and buy a range finder I guess.

I find my limiting factor with the bow is trying to judge the distance to the target. From my fixed tree stand I have measured out but if I am on a climber or walking then I dont always know. I should break down and buy a range finder I guess.

You dont always have time for a rangefinder. It only takes a minute to pace out 20 or 30 steps in each direction you might get a shot in before you go up the tree. Drop a pine branch or other easily identfied object on the ground so you can see exactly how far it is. Success favors those most prepared.

In the offseason 3-D courses are excellent range estimation practice and also a lot of fun.

My buddy missed the chance at a 6pointer last wk because the deer was standing right in the blind spot of his blind, then when he moved, the stupid ghillie suit he had on made a ton of noise when he reached for his bow, then more noise when he stood up. He is returning that ghillie suit.

Better spend some time at the target too... [smile]

Did you misjudge the yardage or did you get excited and peek?

Good luck tomorrow

Probably a little of both. This buck has been nocturnal since the season started coming past my stand between 12-1am. Its only been in the last week that he started showing up late afternoon/early evening. I was so excited to get a shot at him that I shot a little farther than I normally would. I'm going to go out first thing tomorrow morning and do some ranging to see just how far he was. One broadhead is embedded in a tree so I'll know exactly where range. [smile]

Get an eight arrow quiver and use a small bungy like cord to hold them in place until you get in the stand. I take my quiver off the bow and hang it on a hook but if in your situation I would be screwed. With my luck I would drop the whole quiver from the tree.

It is a tough way to learn a lesson but now you will probably shoot a big boy.

It he stamped his hoofs and jumped I would move to a location closer to where the deer come from because of the nasty, waxlike secretions that oozed out of his interdigital glands when he spooked. Any deer that come across it usually flag in an instant and leave the same warning for others. Pretty soon they may avoid the area altogether.

Wakefield 11/3/09

I'm pissed and sad!! On 11/3 about 3 AM a truck hit a herd of deer walking down Rte 128NB, headed southward, at Main St. at the Lynnfield/Wakefield townline. 6 of about 12 were killed, and after the parts were all loaded into a front end loader, it took a few fire trucks to hose the highway clean.

My stand is a few hundred yards away. [crying]

There's six I won't get a shot at; you'll have another chance. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom