Hydropack: water supply for disaster relief (link)

Case Study: HydroPack, Hydration for a World in Need by Farrell Calabrese

Hydropack_Haiti_drink.jpg

It would be cool if they made these available to the public. Might come in handy at the house.

We looked at these a couple years ago after they got some good press from Haiti. I think they are expensive for what they are. You are paying about $10 a pouch for 12 oz of gatorade water. A bucket of 20 is about $200 and that is about 10 liters of water. About a day or 2 for a family of four. It takes an awful long time to get a little water and they are only good for one use. Some of HTIs other products look pretty good and the technology is very cool but these are too expensive for what they are in my opinion.

We looked at these a couple years ago after they got some good press from Haiti. I think they are expensive for what they are. You are paying about $10 a pouch for 12 oz of gatorade water. A bucket of 20 is about $200 and that is about 10 liters of water. About a day or 2 for a family of four. It takes an awful long time to get a little water and they are only good for one use. Some of HTIs other products look pretty good and the technology is very cool but these are too expensive for what they are in my opinion.

Yeah it's interesting that most disaster-relief products tout how affordable the new technology will be, and then they charge a premium for it stateside. I do think that they'll come down in price after a couple of years, like the LifeStraw and Purifier of Water packets.

This filtration pack is extremely easy and powerful. All you have to do is drop the pack in any fresh water source. Produces approximately 12 fl oz of clean water. The Hydropack produces a safe, hydrating drink using Forward Osmosis. It also provides the highest level of filtration of any personal water treatment system because it uses a system of filter holes each only 5 ten-billionths of a meter! With a filter that fine, protozoa, bacteria and viruses don’t stand a chance.The clog-free filter wall allows for full hydration of 12-16 ounces in 8-12 hours completely hands free. [[[[[[NOTE- not for use in seawater or antifreeze.<<<<<<. Wtf can't purify antifreeze fail lol

They make a reusable 10-day "pouch" that does 54oz per use. Takes 4-12 hours to filter 54oz.

Amazon.com: Hydration Technology Innovations XPack Water Filter: Sports & Outdoors

Not a long term solution, but a reasonable portable solution. Also, since it's passive, you can fill it and get back on your way, letting it filter while you're moving or working on other survival tasks.

- - - Updated - - -

This filtration pack is extremely easy and powerful. All you have to do is drop the pack in any fresh water source. Produces approximately 12 fl oz of clean water. The Hydropack produces a safe, hydrating drink using Forward Osmosis. It also provides the highest level of filtration of any personal water treatment system because it uses a system of filter holes each only 5 ten-billionths of a meter! With a filter that fine, protozoa, bacteria and viruses don’t stand a chance.The clog-free filter wall allows for full hydration of 12-16 ounces in 8-12 hours completely hands free. [[[[[[NOTE- not for use in seawater or antifreeze.<<<<<<. Wtf can't purify antifreeze fail lol

they make a different model specifically for salt water. Anti-freeze? well, for that, you're on your own.

They make a reusable 10-day "pouch" that does 54oz per use. Takes 4-12 hours to filter 54oz.

Amazon.com: Hydration Technology Innovations XPack Water Filter: Sports & Outdoors

Not a long term solution, but a reasonable portable solution. Also, since it's passive, you can fill it and get back on your way, letting it filter while you're moving or working on other survival tasks.

Yeah this one holds the clean water and the dirty water so you don't have to leave it at the water source for hours. I wonder if the sports drink mix has some kind of activator in it that is required for the osmosis process. Or maybe the filtered water has a weird taste that they're trying to cover up.

Or maybe the filtered water has a weird taste that they're trying to cover up.

This would be my guess. While they can filter out the harmful stuff that's going to make you sick, there are still water soluable minerals that will permiate the membrane and affect the taste. It might not be a big deal when you're trying to survive, but it markets better if it tastes good. It's also a good way to add important electrolytes to the water.

It's possible that adding the syrup improves osmotic pressure on the membrane filter, causing the water to permiate faster or it "thickens" the water to minimize the water passing back through the membrane, but I do suspect it's mostly about taste.

Can you use it in urine? That would taste like butt therefore the spurts drink is probably there to enhance taste. I had we'll water in my old house it tasted and smelt like swamp we never drank it.

Back
Top Bottom