Hunter safety courses in the future.

I realize that most classes are done for the year and the Mass Wildlife website says to check back in january for a 2009 schedule. However I was wondering if anybody knew of a class that might be offered in the south shore area sometime shortly. I'm interested in getting the hunter course done well before hunting season next year if possible. Am i SOL until sometime later next year?

As they are finalized, they will update the Mass F&W website. I know the one my club is doing is tentativley scheduled to start the Wednesday after the April school vacation and running for 5 (or 6,,,, I can't remember) consecutive Wednesday evenings.

I'm in the same boat.

I think there's an online form you can fill out where they'll send you an email when the class list is updated.

From what I understand you can also take a hunter's ed course out of state and use that credential to apply for MA hunters license. (out of state hunters ed courses are not valid as training for MA FID though.)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm in the same boat.

I think there's an online form you can fill out where they'll send you an email when the class list is updated.

You are correct. I found the link here. This is a form to fill out to get notification of a class being scheduled in your area. It says that they notify you by snail mail oddly enough.

I know that one is run each year at Braintree R&P. No idea when, but keeping an eye on the club calendar (accessible on www.brp.org) might give folks a heads-up for next year.

You can take the "take-home" study guide for new hampshire. Then you go out and take a written and field test in one day. That is my intention once they offer it up for '09

No notification about new classes and the last time I looked at the state site they said new classes would be posted in January.

I checked the site today and they have 6 new classes listed... and three are already full!!! None really in my area.

Good luck guys!

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_basic_listing.htm

They fill up REAL FAST!! I attended one last fall in Billerica. There was no preregistering so we just showed up. It was the last class of the 2008 year. People came from all over. There ended up being over 100 people in the class. The instructors did well even though they'd never seen a class anywhere near that large. I gotta thank those volunteer instructors. It is very generous of them to give their time and effort. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Sign up early mine was full of tree huggers that go hiking and thought it would be helpful. Also full of Boy Scouts, neither had any intentions of hunting. I bet if you had to purchase a hunting license at the end it would have been half full. The guys that teach the class are all volunteers and were outstanding and helpfull.

Back
Top Bottom