HR 45 Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009

new_thread_cat.gif

Did you search?

2a8kq2q.gif

Yep, this is old news. BUT!!!! It's important because this kind of insanity should be in front of us to spur us into writing our Representatives.

Back in February, I wrote this letter to my Representative, Mike Michaud.

February 7, 2009

Dear Representative (Name),

I am writing to express my concern over any gun control legislation before the 111th Congress. I am a lifelong sportsman in the District that you serve. I believe that the adoption of the proposed H.R. 45 or similar bills would have a negative economic impact on the State of Maine's Inland Fisheries and Wildlife industry and severely cripple the long standing rights and traditions of hunting, sporting use of firearms, collecting of firearms and the ownership of firearms for personal defense in the State of Maine.

I urge you to vote against any proposed legislation that seeks to nullify or restrict the Second Ammendment of the United States Constitution. Thank You.

(Name, town, District, State)

And I got this response:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 45, Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you know, H.R. 45 would amend the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit a person from possessing a firearm unless they have a firearm license or the appropriate certification according to state law. Furthermore, any firearm license or certification must be up to date and validated. This bill would also prevent a person from transporting firearms without proper certification. Currently, federal law mandates waiting periods and background checks for those purchasing hand guns, but does not require certification or licensing.

The Second Amendment protects the right of Americans to bear arms. The amendment has important historical roots in the volunteer civilian militias who fought for our independence, and it continues to protect an important right enjoyed by law-abiding Americans today. I have been a consistent supporter of Second Amendment rights and have received an 'A' rating from the National Rifle Association (NRA). I share your commitment to protecting the right of all law-abiding individuals to purchase, possess, and use firearms as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

On January 6, 2009, H.R. 45 was introduced and referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary. Please know that I will keep your thoughtful comments in mind as this bill makes its way through the legislative process.

Thank you again for sharing your views with me. In addition, I also provide occasional email updates on a range of issues affecting people in Maine. If you would like to receive this information, please visit my website at http://michaud.house.gov/email_newsletter.asp and sign up for my email newsletter. I appreciate the opportunity to represent you.

With warmest regards,

Michael H. Michaud

Member of Congress

KEEP ON YOUR TOES, GUN OWNERS! And keep the pressure on.

Back
Top Bottom