Hows the heat at AFS?

Going down to participate in the IPSC match at AFS this sunday. Curious about the heating in the ranges. I know out at S&W it gets kind of chilly in some of their bays.

Havent decided which gun or class to shoot yet. Either L10 or Limited. Problem is, I havent had a chance to sight in the new Limited gun.

It is no where near as cold as S&W. They do have a ventilation system.

You've got to shoot the new gun. There won't be any long shots, a quick sight-in would be all you need.

Why not give them a call and ask?

When I was in there, the noise level was so disturbing that I paid no heed to the temperature! The good news is that I convinced the management to take a look at the sound-proofing at Braintree R&P and check it out for some future consideration at AFS.

Sight in??? What's this Sight in stuff? Hal, on my SV/TI I only moved the BoMars about 4 clicks in elevation, maybe one or two on windage to feel good. I guess the absolute longest shot might be 25 yards, which would be from behind the "normal" firing line. I don't think you'll have to move between the partitions to continue shooting. Shoot the new one....no guts...no glory.

It can be loud in there. I pity the RO when the open guns come to the line.

I doubt there will be anything close to 25yd. We made the props Sunday. There will be partitions, few barricades with and without ports, and a doorway that will probably impose challenges in place of distance.

I can spare a mag pouch or two from my belt. I can start with 30 rounds in the gun, I shouldn't have to reload unless it is mandatory.

But then the Wife can find me too easily LenS.

I knew Steve had been there working this past weekend so I knew he could answer my question. If I was out of line asking about that here I apologize. [oops]

Ask away! I think Hamar wanted to know how it compared to S&W in particular, where you can see your breath in one range. We only went on the range a minute last weekend. We were working in the back room (That went great by the way. It was well planned and I got to shoot my gun the whole time, my Bostitch that is). However, I spent my first couple years shooting there a few times a week. A long sleeve shirt should be fine.

Hamar said:
But then the Wife can find me too easily LenS.

I knew Steve had been there working this past weekend so I knew he could answer my question. If I was out of line asking about that here I apologize. [oops]

As already stated, you can always turn your cell phone off and only turn it on to make a call. Otherwise, that's what CID is good for [wink] , if you see it is from someone you don't want to talk to right now, just ignore it and let it go to voicemail.

No your question was fine, but I just thought that the best answer can be had by asking one of their staff folks.

"Havent decided which gun or class to shoot yet....Problem is, I havent had a chance to sight in the new Limited gun"

Oh sure; take the challenge out!

You want 5 or 10 minutes to "air gun" the COF after you get the line as well? [lol]

OK..gang up on Hal day...I see...LOL

Problem with the Cell phone first:
If I stick the dang thing on my hip, I'll end up stuffing it in the Mag well of my favorite carry gun..I can see it happening as I type...LOL..."Hold on bad guy, my auto loader is calling 911"..........

Do I want 5 minutes of air gunning prior to shooting the stage? No Sir, I'm ready to go pretty dang quick when they call this shooters name to the line.

See you fellers on Sunday bright and early for set up!

GTOShootr said:
Adam_MA said:
Is the range closed to regular shooters while your match is going on?

Adam

Yes, it is a scheduled blackout day. Hopefully, people will come by and see something they would like to try.

I wouldn't mind seeing what it's all about...

What time does the match start?

Adam

Looks like I now have no excuses for not shooting the Para on Sunday. I'll try to get it all sighted in on Saturday if I can get away for a half an hour or so. Thanks Dan........Really!

You want 5 or 10 minutes to "air gun" the COF after you get the line as well?

I rethought my reply to this and I wish to add to that reply. After looking up your scores Mr Scrivner, Might I suggest you sight your pistol in before the next match and feel free to take up my 5-10 minutes and do some air gunning the course of fire prior to your run. Looks as though you need it......LOL [lol] [wink] [shock] (just pulling your chain a little)

"Might I suggest you sight your pistol in before the next match and feel free to take up my 5-10 minutes and do some air gunning the course of fire prior to your run."

The operative term being "BEFORE the next match;" not wasting the squad's time. I'm not saying YOU do this, but we've all seen the Zen Masters becoming One With The Gun ad nauseaum.

NOTE: I just put new fiber optic sights on the P-14 and SVI .40 last night and am about to check their respective POIs while it's warm. I'd try the new-to-me M1, but it's a tad windy and I have to accomplish SOMETHING "useful" here. [wink]

Hal, don't worry about top ten, i'm the scorekeeper here too, i can be bought. I'm cheap.
I like Sausage and Egg McGriddles, no cheese, and the two for a dollar hash browns.

And Steve's nail gun is cool. He even let me use it.
I still have all my parts because he took it away from me.

but it sure nailed those logs together well.

"And Steve's nail gun is cool. He even let me use it. I still have all my parts because he took it away from me."

It didn't have a C-More, so Matt got all confused when he tried to aim. [wink]

Well, I took the Para out this morning and sighted it in. Looks like I'll be using this tomorrow. It shot great. It grouped a 7 shot group in an inch at 50ft offhand. Had a couple failure to ejects so I tweaked the extractor a bit and it seems ok now.

Now lets see how it does tomorrow.

Aaaargh! Maybe I spoke too soon. I guess I forgot to locktite the front sight dovetail. Something looked funny while I was cleaning it today. I tugged on the front sight and it moved. Crap.....It was able to move about half the width of the dove tail. I tapped it out the rest of the way and cleaned it good with acetone. I put a high strength loctite on it and reassembled it. I hope its close to where it was before I moved it. Might have to beg in the morning to try it out again..........Damnit!

Back
Top Bottom